Facing a Wrestler

Rws177die

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sunday I know my first match is against a highschool wrestler. My takedowns are mediocre at best. I am really good at butterfly guard and feel I can impose my sweep on anyone once I get there. However I am not sure if jumping guard is smart since he probably wants to be on top. Any advice?

Well his takedowns are better, so if you don't have any non wrestling takedowns, you might as well just go to guard IF you have a good guard game.

Well you either pull guard or fail on a takedown. Either way he's on top. So pull guard.

What skill level? What are the restricted techniques. I find that wrestlers can't defend leglocks, but they might be illegal if you're a beginner.

It is the adult white belt division at the IBJJF. There is not begginger, novice or advanced division, everyone is kind just thrown in there. My guard is descent I may just go that route.

How good is your takedown defense? If you're good at sprawling, you might be able to nullify his takedown. If he does get you, make him play your game. Go for sweeps, and try to get him on his back.

Have you talked to your coach/experienced training partners?

Don't let him get side control or mount.

If he tries to pass DONT stop and think how you are going to escape side control or mount, there won't be no time for thinking, simply squirm like a crazy and look for the guard.

If he gets comfortable in side control he is going to smother you.

Pull guard and be attack from it. Work on your kimura, gi chokes and sweeps.

Pull guard, stay super active. If you can, try to keep him reacting because if he gets to work his top game, you'll be in a tough spot

I'm going to talk to my instructor about it, they just posted the brackets and when I googled the guys name state wrestling champ videos popped up...I'll most likely pull guard and become very active from there..

Sounds like pulling guard is the best option. Whats your coach say?

MMA or grappling? Gi or no-gi?

Don't get intimidated by his intensity or aggressiveness. What always happens is the wrestler takes you down, and just because he feels really strong or aggressive, bjj guys get defensive with their guards, and react rather than attack. Well I'm telling you, attack. If you have a decent guard it will be hard to pass, even for a good wrestler, because good guard passing takes a whole new kind of technique. So be aggressive off your back.

If you ask me I would go with amrbars and omoplatas against wrestlers. And if he posts on the mat you have kimura and hip bump sweep.

Depends on how much BJJ experience he has. If you jump guard and he hasn't had much guard practice you will win. I'm a wrestler and at my last tournament I had guard pulled on me 3/4 times. The other time I did the wrestler thing and went belly down and then gave up my back.

Pull guard and be attack from it. Work on your kimura, gi chokes and sweeps.

utilize the gi. wrestlers are usually bad at dealing with it. if you play any spider guard, that would be a good option (assuming it is gi).

Don't get intimidated by his intensity or aggressiveness. What always happens is the wrestler takes you down, and just because he feels really strong or aggressive, bjj guys get defensive with their guards, and react rather than attack. Well I'm telling you, attack. If you have a decent guard it will be hard to pass, even for a good wrestler, because good guard passing takes a whole new kind of technique. So be aggressive off your back.

If you ask me I would go with amrbars and omoplatas against wrestlers. And if he posts on the mat you have kimura and hip bump sweep.

That sounds like very sound advice

I don't play spider guard just closed and butterfly. I'm a two stripe white belt and have been doing this for 2yrs now so I'll go for GI chokes, triangle & arm bar. Once I get closed guard then things should hopefully just flow.

I may be going against conventional wisdom but I feel that wrestlers are harder to sweep than submit. After all in order to get a pin you have to KEEP the guy on his back so learning to hold a guy down is very important as is scrambling when you find yourself being reversed, which in essence IS a sweep.

On the other hand very few wrestlers ever have to deal with someone attacking offensively off his back. I think a triangle choke or armbar is a possibility for you.

Best of luck.

Back