Facing a Wrestler

I just got back in town last night. Sadly I did lose the match on points. Before I could jump/pull guard I was taken down. He took side control right away. I could not escape so I put my leg down and let him go to mount, as soon as he did I elbow escaped to half guard instantly and he did not get any points for it. Then the Ref split us apart, somehow I took and elbow to the face that split opened my chin and they had to put Vaseline on it and almost DQ

See I agreed with your tourney strategy but wholeheartedly disagree with your training strategy.

Why not start working on take down defense and take downs of his own? THAT is where he needs the most work. Pulling guard is OK for a bjj tourney but his skill set is lacking if he cannot take someone down, especially in a ground oriented combat art.

Whether he needs to work on take downs or more effective guard pulling depends on whether his strength is his top game or bottom game. Based on his previous posts it seemed his strength was his guard game. If this is the case, then his first order of priority is being able to get his opponent into his area of strength. After gaining this capability then by all means work on take downs in order to supplement and expand his game.

However, it should be noted that it is not vital to have a take down game to succeed in tournaments if your guard is good enough.

Whether he needs to work on take downs or more effective guard pulling depends on whether his strength is his top game or bottom game. Based on his previous posts it seemed his strength was his guard game. If this is the case, then his first order of priority is being able to get his opponent into his area of strength. After gaining this capability then by all means work on take downs in order to supplement and expand his game.

However, it should be noted that it is not vital to have a take down game to succeed in tournaments if your guard is good enough.

You need a takedown game if you want to pull guard effectively. Good guys won't let you get a good guard if they can help it. You use it as an option or combo. It is much easier to pull guard if they are defending against takedowns instead. And in self-defense, you absolutely need a good takedown game. You don't just train for sport, right?

You need a takedown game if you want to pull guard effectively. Good guys won't let you get a good guard if they can help it. You use it as an option or combo. It is much easier to pull guard if they are defending against takedowns instead. And in self-defense, you absolutely need a good takedown game. You don't just train for sport, right?

We think alot alike but disagree so much..but thank you thank you thank you..this pretty much should end the thread!

See I agreed with your tourney strategy but wholeheartedly disagree with your training strategy.

Why not start working on take down defense and take downs of his own? THAT is where he needs the most work. Pulling guard is OK for a bjj tourney but his skill set is lacking if he cannot take someone down, especially in a ground oriented combat art.

this.

and that.

We think alot alike but disagree so much..but thank you thank you thank you..this pretty much should end the thread!

OP, at the end of the day, take the time, learn takedowns.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/takedown-class-help-1328847/

and yes... /thread

Back