Fabio Santos

TheVandalz

The Mighty Menehune
@Brown
Reaction score
I know who he is and have been invited to train with his class. I am not skeptical but wouldn't mind knowing what you guys think of his BJJ skills as someone I'd pursue obtaining my Black Belt from.

Thoughts?

He is simply one of the best BJJ instructors out there. I've fought many of his students at tournaments and I found every single one of them to be tough and very technical.

Thanks man, thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Guess i'll be signing up with Fabio Santos after the holidays ;)

I just got off the phone with the lady over there at fabiojiujitsu, I'll come in to the class after the holidays. I am pretty excited about this move man... :D

Whats your skill level Anomalo? Weight?

I don't train with Fabio but got to meet him when he came to Hawaii for Renzo's fight. I also trained with people who learned from him. Fabio Santos is awesome. Don't let him fool you by his looks. He can turn it on if need be. A lot of sherdoggers train with him and can vouch for that. He was just in Grappling Magazine a month or two ago with a student. I can't remember the month. He is well loved and respected by the Gracie family. I'm sure you will not regret training there at all.

i am a lowly blue belt, weighing around 150 lbs, and have trained with fabio for around two years. you can get the best info from lobo or asel1 as they are the elders. where are you guys?

right here........you will have the best time at fabios school, fabio has produced a lot of bjj champions, not to mention dean lister. all the guys are tough and there is a constant flow of top talent from brazil that migrate through fabios all the time. watch out for lobos triangle!!

He has a very good reputation.

But you're gunning for your black belt already there, eh? Slow down there Tex, and try to get past the first 3 months of training first. The dropout rate is quite high.

Fresh meat, mmmmmmm. Nice to hear you'll be coming over to Fabio's. I'm there every day there's class (in the mornings). Like asel1 posted, Fabio has put out lots of top guys and we have a lot of higher belts (purples, browns, blacks). Not to mention a shit-load of blues.

Curious --- who are some of Fabios' top students over the years?

Dean Lister
Fernando Margarida (went from blue to brown at Fabio's)
Alex Brandao (http://alexbrandaobjj.com/home/home.htm)
Jeff Higgs
Fernando Paradeda (BTT World Champ; trained a few years under Fabio before moving back to Brazil)
James Nielson (misspelled for sure)
Jason Middaugh
Brent Stuchlick
Jocko Willink

Lobo said:
Dean Lister
Fernando Margarida (went from blue to brown at Fabio's)
Alex Brandao (http://alexbrandaobjj.com/home/home.htm)
Jeff Higgs
Fernando Paradeda (BTT World Champ; trained a few years under Fabio before moving back to Brazil)
James Nielson (misspelled for sure)
Jason Middaugh
Brent Stuchlick
Jocko Willink

dam fabio is/has trained some beasts in his day hasn't he?

That thing has not been updated in FOREVER. Don't know why.

Fabio refused to give Dean Lister his Black Belt and so one of Fabio's newly promoted black belt students (a good friend of Deans) ended up giving it to Dean. Then Fabio proceeded to kick this particular black belt out of his academy for doing so.

That's the short story.....in general i'm sure Fabio is very knowledgable. But the secrecy and tight lips surrounding the Dean Lister charade is quite funny. Anybody that knows of the situation will look down on Fabio for his behavior in this matter. IMO Fabio is Gracie Jiu Jitsu politics at it's worst/best.

Dean had competed for years and won everything, including Abu Dhabi absolute, and was KOK champ, AND beat black belts on a regular basis. Yet Fabio felt that he wanted to keep Dean down. Not sure why, but it sure seems that way.

S.D.Force said:
Fabio refused to give Dean Lister his Black Belt and so one of Fabio's newly promoted black belt students (a good friend of Deans) ended up giving it to Dean. Then Fabio proceeded to kick this particular black belt out of his academy for doing so.

That's the short story.....in general i'm sure Fabio is very knowledgable. But the secrecy and tight lips surrounding the Dean Lister charade is quite funny. Anybody that knows of the situation will look down on Fabio for his behavior in this matter. IMO Fabio is Gracie Jiu Jitsu politics at it's worst/best.

Dean had competed for years and won everything, including Abu Dhabi absolute, and was KOK champ, AND beat black belts on a regular basis. Yet Fabio felt that he wanted to keep Dean down. Not sure why, but it sure seems that way.

Where is that BlackBelt now?

Back at Fabio's, lol. His name is Jeff Higgs.

Lobo said:
Back at Fabio's, lol. His name is Jeff Higgs.

Jeff "Triangle" Higgs.

Does he teach at Fabios most of the time?

You guys on the west coast have a lot Black Belts.

Don't most of the people once they get their BB start up their own school?

Back