EZA-Book review and questions

Thanks Joel, that's what I was thinking. The downside to bjj is that after years of training your actual skill level and understanding of the positions/submissions improves and you become much more efficient. Kind of a double edged sword because the technique allows you to be lazy (or more than at the beginner stage). I just finished about 10 weeks of starting strength so I decided to alternate between general endurance and general strength for a while, starting with the endurance block. Thanks to everone for the replies and I'll keep you posted on my results.

As a side note- When I was training MT a lot, my usual fitness level plummeted when I trained and sparred with non aggressive guys (ie not the 'take the fight to them' ones).
There was too much of a chess game going on with these and the energy expenditure was minimal. It got to the point where I didn't train fitness specifically, as I didn't see what the point was. So I know where you are coming from.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Regards
Ian

The interesting thing is that in a lot of sports as the skill levels get higher, guys learn how to conserve energy and when to expend it at the right time and when not to and it leads to pretty different energy demands than lower level athletes. If you've ever played raquetball you'll find yourself running all over the court and practically killing yourself, but then you play against someone who is really good and they can play the game while barely moving. Never play raquetball against an old guy with a beer gut, trust me.

Back