Explain the difference between GB/IBJJF & GJJ

M

MMALifer138

What are the main differences between Gracie Barra jj and just Gracie or Brazilian jj?
I know GB was founded by Carlson and it's covered some in other threads like the Rickson FAQ, but I would like some clarification.
If you train at a GB school, are you ranked in GB jiu jitsu or are you ranked in Brazilain jiu jitsu (that may be a stupid question)
Are the differences really just tournament rules? Or are the fundamentals of the art different?
Can non GB students participate in IBJJF tourneys? And just what are all the rule differences?
Are the differences between the 2 styles just semantic or are there very distinct differences?
What are some of the best non-GB camps? It seems to be popular opinion that GB schools are very high caliber compared to others. (This might be a misconception on my part)
Thanks.

GB was created by Carlos Gracie Jnr not Carlson.

IBJJF was created by Carlos Gracie Jnr.

Ranks in GB and BJJ are the same.

Competition JJ rules are the same for GB and BJJ and IBJJF.

I think you are confused.

It is only the camp of Helio sons i.e Rorion, Reslon etc.. also known as the "true" Gracie Jiu Jitsu which is claiming to be different and are talking about doinf their own competition rules etc...

My prediction:

In about 5-10 years, there will be 2 differents federations for JJ a la TKD!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is the sport. It started when the Gracie's learned judo (then called jiu-jutsu), so they called it Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. It's really the same thing, although some people split hairs and say GJJ is more "traditional" and self defense oriented where BJJ is more sport oriented.

Gracie Barra is the name of the largest BJJ school in the world, which is headed by Carlos Gracie Jr. Non Gracie Barra schools can definitely be in the IBJJF (although it is also headed by Carlos Gracie Jr) and compete at IBJJF tournaments. Other big schools are Carlson Gracie, Gracie Humaita, Alliance, Lloyd Irvin, Atos, Gracie Fighter, etc.

It's the same art. Gracie Barra is a network of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu schools. Anyone can participate in IBJJF tournaments, as of now.

It's the same art. Gracie Barra is a network of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu schools. Anyone can participate in IBJJF tournaments, as of now.

Not brown belts or black belts....not until you join the federation. I contacted them via e-mail. It is going to cost me $400.00 dollars to get my certificate. I have to get it though but I will hold off until I really need it.

$400. OMG!

Hum, I guess a purple would go for about 150-200!

Thanks for the responses. You're right, I was confused.
Sort of related follow up: the Mundials is considered the world champioships, no? Based on prestige I assume? Is this done through IBJJF? And BB's must be affilaites to compete?

Sort of related follow up: the Mundials is considered the world champioships, no? Based on prestige I assume? Is this done through IBJJF? And BB's must be affilaites to compete?

Yes to all questions.

Yes, the Mundials is the world championships. Mundials means "worlds" in Portuguese. As of recently, black belts and brown/black belt women have to be members of the IBJJF to compete. They don't have to be an affiliate, just a member. This requires a 2 stripe or higher black belt to vouch for them. Theres going to be some growing pains, as the upcoming Chicago open had several black belts (including my coach) unable to sign up.

Not brown belts or black belts....not until you join the federation. I contacted them via e-mail. It is going to cost me $400.00 dollars to get my certificate. I have to get it though but I will hold off until I really need it.

Man, that's a load of crap, if I may say so. People like to complain about what Rorion is doing with the art, and rightfully so. But I don't like a lot of the things Carlinhos is doing as well. Restrictions on tournament entries, it's like he's trying to get a monopoly on bjj and its future.

on the usbjjf website, it's 30$ to register, isn't that the same membership?

Man, that's a load of crap, if I may say so. People like to complain about what Rorion is doing with the art, and rightfully so. But I don't like a lot of the things Carlinhos is doing as well. Restrictions on tournament entries, it's like he's trying to get a monopoly on bjj and its future.

how is this any different to how the IJF and other regional federations (for Judo) and FILA (for wrestling) operate. I can't just turn up to the judo or greco worlds and say "hi, i'm bob, here's my $20 entry fee".

Having said that there seem to be 50 different interpretations of what getting the card means, how you get one, who signs it, how much it costs, whether that is one off.

to pay for your registration to compete and pay for your BB certificate is 2 different issues.

but Carlos gonna make every participating BB to part with their cash for that certificate??

but it is expensive to get a certificate from the IBJJF! And they will not recognise your stripes as well!

how is this any different to how the IJF and other regional federations (for Judo) and FILA (for wrestling) operate. I can't just turn up to the judo or greco worlds and say "hi, i'm bob, here's my $20 entry fee".

Well for the record, I'm not too fond of the IJF and FILA.

then don't compete in cbjj events. there are other orgs

on the usbjjf website, it's 30$ to register, isn't that the same membership?

It is $400.00 for my black belt certificate. I have to have a 2nd degree black belt that is already certified with IBJJF to sign me off as being legit. My professor is not certified with IBJJF however him and I are certified with F.J-J. RIO. I also have to get a CPR card and referee certificate.

For the $400.00 I will get a BB certificate from IBJJF and USBJJF and my academy becomes registered. Now I have to get a 2nd degree BB certified with IBJJF to vouch for me to get one.

iirc, the 400 is for your association/school. its 30 for a black belt cert.

manster - I emailed the IBJJF to inquire about IBJJF black belt membership. Someone promptly wrote back the following:

Hi Kyle,

For residents at USA is avaible the USBJJF membership ID request online on the link United States Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

Just follow the steps and the information that you will receive by e-mail.

Is $30 for the membership ID, valid until december 2011.

Thanks

this is what a UG er got as a reply. Now if anyone can produce actual evidence saying that the cbjj is charging 400 dollars per black belt them please share that email with us.

MMA Underground Forums

iirc, the 400 is for your association/school. its 30 for a black belt cert.

this is what a UG er got as a reply. Now if anyone can produce actual evidence saying that the cbjj is charging 400 dollars per black belt them please share that email with us.

MMA Underground Forums

Are you interested in to get your Black Belt Diploma? or onli the membership ID to register at the IBJJF tournamets?

For the membership ID go for the link United States Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

As for your request for black belt certificate is needed:

Back