Explain the difference between GB/IBJJF & GJJ

it is a group deal with academy regis. Just ask for your blackbelt cert

it is a group deal with academy regis. Just ask for your blackbelt cert

I just asked for my black belt certificate and this is what they sent me. Yeah I will just register for membership to compete....I don't need a black belt certificate.... I have one from another federation anyways.

My Professor refused to pay his membership for years. And they eventually just sent him his cert. from both the USBJJF and IBJJF. Although, his one from IBJJF is in english, and hes convinced that they did it to piss him off. lol

Do the Black Belts have to pay a fee every year btw?

Cause my Professor's says 1st Degree, and hes had his BB since 2001.

The idea that a black belt needs to be a second degree black belt to vouch for someone is bullshit. What about some of the legends from Carlsons academy who were kicked out and never got promoted much past a pure black belt? Shouldnt their opinion count? They are more accomplished than Carlinhos ever was. What about someone like Ricardo Arona? From what I know he is still a pure black belt, but he represented BJJ when guys like Kerr were dicking on people in ADCC, yet he cannot even legally compete unless someone vouches for him? And he cannot vouch for someone else? Even though he could RNC Carlinhos's forhead until it collapses? What crap...

carlinhos produced some of the best fighters ever. Wtf are you talking about?

Okay I figured this out last night so I will clear this up.

If you want to register to compete in IBJJF tournaments as a brown or black belt all you have to do is pay $30.00. However there is a list of academies that is on their sign up form that you have to choose from. So if your academy is not on the list you can't register. I checked the list and my Professor's academy is on the list so I am good to go but I noticed that there a lot of schools not on the list. So I assume that if you own your own school you will have to register your academy.

If a black belt wants a BB certificate from IBBJF and USBJJF and they want their academy listed they have to pay $400.00 plus other requirements as well. Now one of the requirements is that your register form has to be signed by a 2nd degree BB or higher in order for you to be accepted.

So if your Professor is not registered with them then you are screwed and you will have to find a BB that is which will be a pain in the ass.

Also it has always been a requirement in several Federations that you have to be a 2nd degree black belt in order to promote someone to black belt.....this has always been the rule so that has not changed and I think it should remain this way.

agreed, based on this reply i got, it seems that black belt competitors themselves just need to pay the $30 for the id card, but the person who signs them off needs to have the $400 certififcate:

The $400 fee is to get your black belt certificate.
If you just whant the membership ID to register and fight the IBJJF tournament the fee is $30, and you can ask the membership ID online by the link: United States Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

For your black belt certificate.

BB's needing to have a second degree vouch for them makes no sense at all. What is with this? If you are a black belt, and your lineage is legit, what's the problem?
To me, getting a BB means you are qualified to teach the art. If you are qualified to teach, then why not compete without someone else vouching?
This is like telling a college professor they can not write a textbook on their field of expertise without having a department chair vouch for them first. It just seems superfluous.

besides the money, I like the idea. You think someone is a fake BB, "where is your card?"

if you are a BB you should have no problems having a 2nd degree BB vouch for you.

If they are just paper docs people can forge that shit, I guess.

BB's needing to have a second degree vouch for them makes no sense at all. What is with this? If you are a black belt, and your lineage is legit, what's the problem?
To me, getting a BB means you are qualified to teach the art. If you are qualified to teach, then why not compete without someone else vouching?
This is like telling a college professor they can not write a textbook on their field of expertise without having a department chair vouch for them first. It just seems superfluous.

Well that's the point, who is qualified? In the IBJJF's view only 2nd degree black belt and above can promote to black belt, so if you don't have one in your lineage, they would view you as suspect (probably with some degree of accuracy - even if you have fallen out with their instructor, how many legit black belts can't trace their lineage thus?)

The college professor's qualifications would come from an accredited education provider - in the IBJJF frame of reference, perhaps the 2nd degree or above would be that "accredited education provider".

Last edited:
Well that's the point, who is qualified? In the IBJJF's view only 2nd degree black belt and above can promote to black belt, so if you don't have one in your lineage, they would view you as suspect (probably with some degree of accuracy - even if you have fallen out with their instructor, how many legit black belts can't trace their lineage thus?)

The college professor's qualifications would come from an accredited education provider - in the IBJJF frame of reference, perhaps the 2nd degree or above would be that "accredited education provider".

let's get something straight, the 2nd degree black belt thing has been around for a long time, leo vieria who has no connections to barra/cbjj and does not give a dam about carlihos himself states that it takes a 3rd degree black belt to give out black belts. This has been in brasil for a long time and to a point they are correct. I mean if you just became a black belt, what do you know about producing black belts?

let's get something straight, the 2nd degree black belt thing has been around for a long time, leo vieria who has no connections to barra/cbjj and does not give a dam about carlihos himself states that it takes a 3rd degree black belt to give out black belts. This has been in brasil for a long time and to a point they are correct. I mean if you just became a black belt, what do you know about producing black belts?

This is true......even in the FEDERACAO DE JIU-JITSU DO ESTADOS DO RIO JANEIRO the federation that I am certified with you have to be a second degree black belt to promote someone to a black belt. I don't see a problem with that either.

However if a person is already certified with another federation that is legit they should not have to prove it again by getting someone else to vouch for them. A copy of their federation certificate should be good enough.

To be honest, if you are certified by any of the 40+ BJJ State federations in Brazil, that should suffice.

To be honest, if you are certified by any of the 40+ BJJ State federations in Brazil, that should suffice.

I agree.....I don't have a problem paying the $400 bucks but the rest of it is a pain in the ass just to get my academy certified so when I have a brown belt that wants to compete in the Pan Ams or Worlds.

It is only the camp of Helio sons i.e Rorion, Reslon etc.. also known as the "true" Gracie Jiu Jitsu which is claiming to be different and are talking about doinf their own competition rules etc...

I thought Royler, Rickson, Royce, ?, ? have nothing to do with Rorion and in fact have had some legal/family squabbles over the family name. I always thought it was Rorion against the rest of his siblings over the rights to the name.

Well for the record, I'm not too fond of the IJF and FILA.

THIS!

I got involved with this art because of the freedom that the sport offered; the fact that any one could compete, the fact that any school could "put up or shut up" mentality. The fact of the matter is that more government = less freedom!

Oh man, I gotta show my professor this. He's gonna be PISSED! He's not on the "list" but he got his red/black even before Carlinhos. And you're gonna tell him that his brown and blacks can't compete? This is gonna be hilarious. California only has 19 schools (according to the list I saw on IBJJF.) Sheesh, we have more than 19 schools in freaking San Diego alone!! I'm liking what Relson is trying to do more and more everyday.

Oh man, I gotta show my professor this. He's gonna be PISSED! He's not on the "list" but he got his red/black even before Carlinhos. And you're gonna tell him that his brown and blacks can't compete? This is gonna be hilarious. California only has 19 schools (according to the list I saw on IBJJF.) Sheesh, we have more than 19 schools in freaking San Diego alone!! I'm liking what Relson is trying to do more and more everyday.

I am going to have to talk to Adam about this tomorrow. Neither Adam nor his coach Marcus Soares are on the list of the Canadian BJJ federation. I don't think is is a big deal, something tells me if Marcus gave carlinhos a call, he would be recognized tout suite.

I understand the idea of having qualifiers for the Worlds, every major sport has that but some of the rules seem ridiculus.

Back