Explain buying stocks to me

I have zero clue how this works. I have 401k at work, but it's pretty much a hands off thing. They do all the work for me.

When you buy stocks, do you get a check every month, a percentage of the profits from the company you bought stocks from? I have 10k I can afford to lose to play around with and I was thinking of buying "safe" stocks like Google or any solid company that will not be going under any time soon.

Just as a point of reference, if I buy 10k worth of Google's stocks, how much money should I be expecting to get every month? Or does it not work like this?
No one can explain it to you in a sherdog post, not even the basics.

Here is what you really need to do. Read the millionaire teacher. You can get this book for 20$ max off Amazon. Its a book for beginners on investing in index funds. Its a book about why you should be investing in index funds, and not active managed funds. Youll lose a lot of $ over a lifetime if you get a bank or advisor to con you into buying active funds and manging your money for you. This book will also teach you about compound interest. Not only that it teaches you how to invest your own money and it can be done with a few hours every year.

TLDR
Buy millionaire teacher
Invest in index funds
Thank me when your 80 and living like a baller

No one can explain it to you in a sherdog post, not even the basics.

Here is what you really need to do. Read the millionaire teacher. You can get this book for 20$ max off Amazon. Its a book for beginners on investing in index funds. Its a book about why you should be investing in index funds, and not active managed funds. Youll lose a lot of $ over a lifetime if you get a bank or advisor to con you into buying active funds and manging your money for you. This book will also teach you about compound interest. Not only that it teaches you how to invest your own money and it can be done with a few hours every year.

TLDR
Buy millionaire teacher
Invest in index funds
Thank me when your 80 and living like a baller

You could learn everything in that book and more if you just check out boglehead site or even reddit.

A stock is fractional ownership of a business that hopefully is a moneymaking machine, not a bullshit hype machine easily manipulated by bullshit artists. See today's news re: Chump cocksucker insider trading of some penny stock where he was on the board of directors.

Did yall see what @Elon Musk did yesterday. China was bout to buy Telsa and Musk tweeted that he might take the company Private at 420 when the stock was trading at 3 something and it drove the stock up to 380 by the end of the day. He raise the price to stall the takeover.

You could learn everything in that book and more if you just check out boglehead site or even reddit.

Yeah, or using common sense and a few sources on the net.

Last edited:
Doesn't work like that. If you want money back that doesn't come from selling the stock for a profit then you want stocks that pay a dividend. Those are quarterly and generally somewhere between 1%-4% annually. So if it's 10k at 4% you'd make $400 for the year and $100 quarterly.

Or you could lose money.

I use both of those sites but all the info can be overwhelming at first. There is a lot of background noise in both those sites and beginner books like the wealthy barber or millionaire teacher trim the fat and present the basics.

i'm sure the tech bubble is gonna pop in the future.. but i'm hard in on amazon, google, netflix, apple, nvidia, etc

10k into VOO or any S&P 500 ETF is generally safe if you hold it

i'm sure the tech bubble is gonna pop in the future.. but i'm hard in on amazon, google, netflix, apple, nvidia, etc

10k into VOO or any S&P 500 ETF is generally safe if you hold it
"Tech" is not currently a bubble despite all the naysayers, although advertising based social media might need a correction (Facebook, Snapchat, etc). Tech sector ecompasses far more than this and most of it has very solid fundamentals.

Back