Explain buying stocks to me

Lvnvmma

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have zero clue how this works. I have 401k at work, but it's pretty much a hands off thing. They do all the work for me.

When you buy stocks, do you get a check every month, a percentage of the profits from the company you bought stocks from? I have 10k I can afford to lose to play around with and I was thinking of buying "safe" stocks like Google or any solid company that will not be going under any time soon.

Just as a point of reference, if I buy 10k worth of Google's stocks, how much money should I be expecting to get every month? Or does it not work like this?

Google isn't necessarily safe. No stock is really safe especially fang stocks.

Some stocks pay dividends in which case you will get money, usually every quarter, and that will have to be reported to the IRS.

Some stocks don't have dividends.

Speaking of Google, Google is your friend. A quick search will give you a lot of information.

Just as a point of reference, if I buy 10k worth of Google's stocks, how much money should I be expecting to get every month? Or does it not work like this?

Doesn't work like that. If you want money back that doesn't come from selling the stock for a profit then you want stocks that pay a dividend. Those are quarterly and generally somewhere between 1%-4% annually. So if it's 10k at 4% you'd make $400 for the year and $100 quarterly.

Step 2: Diploma

Or does it not work like this?
It doesn't work like this.

Invest your time into learning more and invest your money. You will appreciate yourself for it. Sorta like your investments themselves.

If you think Google is safe, you should definitely stay out of the stock market. It's not for you.

I have zero clue how this works. I have 401k at work, but it's pretty much a hands off thing. They do all the work for me.

When you buy stocks, do you get a check every month, a percentage of the profits from the company you bought stocks from? I have 10k I can afford to lose to play around with and I was thinking of buying "safe" stocks like Google or any solid company that will not be going under any time soon.

1. Look into stocks that pay dividends.

2. If the value of the stock falls, you can lose money. There is no stock which is completely safe.

Just look at the top paying dividend stocks, such as Johnson and Johnson, McDonalds, Apple, etc.. then follow them for a while. Look at their 52 week history and 5 year. Look at when they hit a cyclical dip, then just put in some money for the long term.

For instance, McDonalds is at a cyclical low right NOW, and it is a good time to buy.

J&J is just now recovering from a low, and has gone up 10 points this past month. It will continue to go up.

Apple is at an all time high. However, about 2 years ago, it was at a big low, and was at a prime time to buy. One could argue that it is now at a cyclical high.

Those are the three phases of the cycle, using big name stocks. A simple tutorial.

All these stocks have gone up long term, since their begining, they are to big to fail and will always come back strong. Just get them in a cyclical dip and sell at a cyclical high. Don't try to be to cute with it tho and get into day trading. Keep them for at least a year so that you are not taxed more.

Go to fool.com and play there for a while to learn.
Best advice for OP.

As for investing/trading styles, there are a million....and you have to find one that suites your own personality, risk tolerance, and financial situation. One size does not fit all!

so, basically the gist is to buy low, sell high

Day trade, its easy, especially penny stocks..;)

who is your trader? ETrade? Charles Swaub, Wells Fargo?

Once you have made money, your trader will send you a check in the mail minus their fees, or they can just transfer the earnings into your bank account if you gave them a routing #.

No, you will not get monthly checks unless the company you bought pays monthly dividends which I doubt you qualify for.

$10K is a good amount to play around with. don't use all 10K. Spread it around different companies. Look into US GOVT bonds.

All of it.

41R57.gif

I love stocks! I also love crypto currency which is the time to buy because of the crash.

Back