exercises that will enable me to do a pullup?

W

WaCkO92

throughout my llife i have never been able to do a pull up or chin up

are there any exercises (bodyweight and with weights) that can help me do a pull up?

Lat pulldowns until you can support your BW is the only thing I can think of.

hover around 170, my arms seem to be weak compared to the ppl around me

try using one of those bungy things. loop it around the pullup bar. pull it through and make another loop. if your chord is long enough place a foot in the loop and allow it to assist you while doing your reps. in essence this allows you to "take some weight" off while performing your reps. kinda like having someone lifting your feet.

doing this allows your muscles required for pullups to strengthen doing the actual excercise. soon youll see a significant increase in your bodyweight only pullups.

ive never been a big fan of machine lat pulldowns. for some reason it never translates to more pullups for me even though my weight increased. doing what i told you helped me go from 15 to 35 within a year.

Negative pullups. Use a chair or something to get yourself up there...then take your legs off and lower yourself as slow as possible. After a while you won't need the chair and you can do 1 full pullup! I use the safety bars on the power rack at the gym.

If you go to a gym, you can use the assisted pullup machines.

If not, and if you have bungee cords, wrap them around the bar and put your foot in the ends, and then try and do pullups like that. This is how I got my girlfriend able to do full pullups.

just in case you felt like doing a search for it.. guess not.

Fight Song said:
If you want to do pull-ups, then there is one clear path ahead of you.. That path IS pull-ups. Simple, eh?

If you can't do one, have a buddy hold your legs and "assist" you. The better you get, the less he helps until he's not needed.

If you don't have a spotter, you can do the following:
- hangs for time
- jump/cheat pull-ups (start with the acceleration of a jump and finish)
- kipping pull-ups (momentum created with the swing/kick of the legs)
- band assists (they take some weight off you)
- negative pull-ups (jump to the highest position and lower yourself as slow as possible)

There are all tools to get it back. If you can only do one, then every time you walk by a chin-bar knock one out. A lot of folks have a bar or a tree nearby and they knock out a chin or a few every time they pass it or see it.

Those cheating methods are the same thing you'll use when you try one-arm chins in the future.

me said:
Fight song made a great post and many of the points that he made are also in this awesome article and program. If i ever decide to focus on pullups (which I will in about a month or so), I will use a lot of the stuff that's found in the link:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/body...p_your_chin_up

Negative pullups worked for me. Probably the easiest to do as long as you have a power cage at your gym.

try this, buy a pullup bar and put it in the entryway to ur room or ur kitchen. do as many pullups as u can everytime u pass under it.

u can do this with negative pullups too
just do a negative pullup everytime u go under.

once u hit 1 pullup the rest kinda comes.

i could do 3 pullups at best 2 months ago and doing this i can do about 16 now.

if your arms are weak, work on your biceps. You use a lot of biceps when doing pull up or back exercises

Negative pullups. Use a chair or something to get yourself up there...then take your legs off and lower yourself as slow as possible. After a while you won't need the chair and you can do 1 full pullup! I use the safety bars on the power rack at the gym.

Negatives is my suggestion as well

if your arms are weak, work on your biceps. You use a lot of biceps when doing pull up or back exercises

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think Chins use a lot of bicep power and pullups use mostly back muscles.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think Chins use a lot of bicep power and pullups use mostly back muscles.

Pull ups use the back more, but they still utilise a decent amount of bicep.

Curl Vs BO row for example. You need the bicep to contract for both from the ROM, but with the curl other then stabilising the weight, the back doesn't have any involvement.

I've found that doing pulldowns with a machine with a bar attachment has helped me out a lot.

I've never tried negatives myself; I usually do 3 or 4 sets to failure of chins or pull ups that is usually 14, 10, 7, 4ish. I'm going to see if i can up my chinup count by doing negatives after my to sets to failure....

just start doing pull ups eventually ull get used to it and will be able to do one

I bought a pull up bar for my bedroom doorway recently because I needed help in this area. There are a couple videos on youtube that show you how to do different things with it.

I've only had it for a month and have improved a ton. Because it's always there, I can just jump on it whenever. I love it :)

Back