Exercises Tailored to Grappling

Neuro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Do any of you have any exercises, sets, drills, or anything that you do at the gym without a partner, that you do specifically to help your grappling ability?

I do lots of shrimping, bridging, elbow escaping, and lots of wrestler sit-out. I also do lunges a lot to help with single-legs and double-legs.

Anyone have anything they enjoy doing?

I know some people throw their gi over a pull-up bar and do that, do you find that actually helps?

Etc., discuss!

I use my belt to secure my punching bag to my waist horizontally and bridge with it on me. I'll take the belt off and shrimp with it on me.

Has helped my bottom game.

High intensity circuits..

Versa-climber..

Stair mill..

Uphill Sprints..

I like doing 5 minute rounds and 1/2 minute sprints on everything. Go like a maniac!

Swimming! My grappling endurance has increased a lot by implementing this.

Swimming! My grappling endurance has increased a lot by implementing this.
I agree, I started swimming and working on my freestyle. My endurance has increased alot with swimming added, it also helps with cross training and is easier on my joints.

Anything involving circuts

Anything involving muscular endurance.

hard to explain but sit ass to walk and feet up and spin around upside down and over

develops core and good rolling motion

sort of like this but spin upside down and around to the other side

YouTube - Warm up - forward pressure

rugby

anonupicturesallblackss.png

Last edited:
like others have said deadlifts. i also like squats and cleans

Deadlifts and pullups.

this, with the addition of barbell hip thrusts.

you load up the barbell put it on your hips and bridge your hips to the sky. I went from 135x12 to 170 x 12 in the course of a month (a month of not even really trying to get stronger, mind you)

the effects are very noticeable. bridging people larger than me is no longer as difficult as it used to be. Ideally I want to get to atleast 250 x 12 and eventually 315 x 12.

the only cons of this exercise is that people look at you weird for humping a barbell.

pros, you can hump your girl from on bottom with VICIOUS force :icon_twis

The mendes brother posted this on facebook one day and I thought it would be a cool exercise for BJJ

Ofcourse the guy on top would be holding onto the gi though and it would be back and forth across the mats or in a circle.

Last edited:
Back