Excluding Mayweather and Canelo fights, the last boxing PPV to do over 500k buys in the US was...

I think Wilder/Fury 2 will do about 500k

doubt that.

wilder sold 200-300k and Oritz is a fucking no name, first time PPV ever etc.

Wilder vs Fury trended much higher than a whole UFC card and it was also the #1 fight (illegal streams) ... but boxing sucks at promoting fights, so imo at least 800k.

Both Wilder and Fury could fight AJ and could conceivably make more money, but there isn't much in it, it depends on the ppv numbers, earnings wise it could go either way.

However Wilder vs Fury, the 3rd joint PPV in boxing history (as far as I know), after may/pac and tyson/lewis is a bigger deal in terms of scale. This is the boxing superbowl. Even though AJ has generated more money than either, the joint network thing between FOX and ESPN, makes this a bigger blockbuster
Yeah having FOX and ESPN together make it a bigger fight for sure BUT then if the winner fights AJ that will be one of the biggest fights ever, for the undisputed HW Championship of the World. We don't get to see that happen very often.

Boxing just seems less in the mainstream than ever since HBO left, and with Showtime possibly out the door as well.

These Dazn cards, I see so many empty seats........

I'd say it's actually seen a clear uptick in Canada over the last year and a half. A lot of people have bought DAZN here (for soccer/football and the NFL mostly) and have been watching a lot more fights as a result.

I'd say it's actually seen a clear uptick in Canada over the last year and a half. A lot of people have bought DAZN here (for soccer/football and the NFL mostly) and have been watching a lot more fights as a result.

I hope so. I just remember seeing a lot of great fights this year, and too many of them were on big cards with empty seats all around even medium sized venues.

You could literally say the same thing about the UFC. Just, "outside of McGregor and Rousey" outside of a couple events. Meanwhile boxing has dozens and dozens more events per year.

Lol at being such a dork to take then time to think about making this thread, then ti actually make it.

You could literally say the same thing about the UFC. Just, "outside of McGregor and Rousey" outside of a couple events. Meanwhile boxing has dozens and dozens more events per year.

Lol at being such a dork to take then time to think about making this thread, then ti actually make it.
The UFC numbers on ESPN and when they were on FOX were lower than boxing's.
UFCs Dead.

The UFC numbers on ESPN and when they were on FOX were lower than boxing's.
UFCs Dead.

I just looked and there are only 3 outside of Rousey and McGregor since/including 2014, and 2 have Jones.

"So outside of your biggest stars, what do you guys have? Ha!" What bottom feeders. If anything, it shows how much the UFC has fallen, not just PPV in general.

Boxing just seems less in the mainstream than ever since HBO left, and with Showtime possibly out the door as well.

These Dazn cards, I see so many empty seats........

Yea its like boxing died when they left hbo and showtime.

Its not that the PPV market is dead, the two biggest buyrates of all time have happened in the last 5 years. Conor/Cerrone will probably do a mil and its not even a particularly good fight. The numbers are still there for the right fights/stars.

Having said that, I dont think Fury/Wilder breaks a million. Its been weirdly low key going into it so far. I'm not sure why but the hype isnt quite what it should be, at least not yet. I could see it breaking 500k though, I think the ceiling would be around 700k.

You have over 15,000 posts on sherdog, my man.

Its not that the PPV market is dead, the two biggest buyrates of all time have happened in the last 5 years. Conor/Cerrone will probably do a mil and its not even a particularly good fight. The numbers are still there for the right fights/stars.

Having said that, I dont think Fury/Wilder breaks a million. Its been weirdly low key going into it so far. I'm not sure why but the hype isnt quite what it should be, at least not yet. I could see it breaking 500k though, I think the ceiling would be around 700k.
My friends who only watch boxing when I force them too, are all going to buy this one, not by force.
This one has people excited.

We’re still 5 weeks out. I’m sure the hype will increase as we get closer to fight week.

You get nfl games on dazn?

You get nfl games on dazn?

Yeah, it gives you complete access in Canada to all games, regardless of market (from what I understand). You get a few games just on cable or satellite in Canada, but DAZN gives you complete access.

I’m buying! I hope so bad it atleast breaks 500k.

First they said “when Floyd is done, boxing is dead”. Then they came for Canelo.

I understand why all those guys I posted with is 2009 and 2010 are gone now. Why keep having this discussion over and over again?

Last edited:
Overhyping Mayweather/Pac was a massive mistake for boxing. Smart fans knew that was going to be a one sided stinker. Lots of people probably bought their first and last boxing PPV that night.

Millions of people bought that to watch Floyd get beat down by Manny. An amazing feat of promotion imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back