Evidence for Theory of Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cognitive dissonance. No external cure for this. The realization has to come from within.

Specifically human evolution. Just something that shows the fossil evidence in a simple format.

As much as I'd love to not argue this, they are very close to me and flip flopped recently. So they are now shoving their beliefs down my throat, and rather than cut them off, I'd just like to show them that the theory of evolution has enough evidence to be taken seriously.

404199_220884161323996_1134880594_n.jpg

This is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. I didn't start this thread to just talk shit about believers. I was looking for actual substance, and this is it. I wish more people would put up things like this rather than repeat the same trope about believers being too stubborn to change.

This of all places is not where you would start your education in the theory of Evolution.
God people are getting lazy, why even bother arguing with someone in a field that you're uneducated in ?.
You have many steps to go before debating for the sake of a debate.

This is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. I didn't start this thread to just talk shit about believers. I was looking for actual substance, and this is it. I wish more people would put up things like this rather than repeat the same trope about believers being too stubborn to change.

The trope is true because evidence is cited all the time supporting evolution and Christian blow hards always will either deny the evidence without examining it or start citing unscientific sources from hucksters like Ken Ham or Kent Hovind.

francisco ayala has some good books on the subject.

first your friend needs to understand basic biology.. thats the problem with this, most people who reject evolution dont understand basic biology enough to get the mechanisms that drive evolution

This of all places is not where you would start your education in the theory of Evolution.
God people are getting lazy, why even bother arguing with someone in a field that you're uneducated in ?.
You have many steps to go before debating for the sake of a debate.

It's funny how often ignorance comes hand in hand with someone being an asshole.

you have a complete lack of understanding of the subject at hand. I suggest you read up on it.

Thanks for the advice. This is what I came up with.

The horse shoe crab has been on the planet for 445 million years. It was a horse shoe crab then and it’s a horse shoe crab now. The plant gingko biloba has been on the planet 275 million years. It was gingko biloba then and it’s gingko biloba now.

Yes, I would rather believe we all come from single celled organisms rather than a magic genie in the sky, but they’re both about as believable.

If evolution were real we would be able to go to the zoo and not only see a elephant, but see a living form of an elephant in every stage of evolution going back to the creature that crawled out of the ocean. But that’s not the case.

Adaptation is fact, evolution is theory.

Here’s a link:
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-oldest-living-animal-species-on-earth.htm

Last edited:
If evolution is true, explain this shit!

Evolution-the-LIE-Also-where-are-all-the-fossils-of-all-the-missing-Species.jpg

If the famous ape to man picture could speak it would say, "This picture does not explain evolution, but just roughly shows you that there is a relationship between man and ape." But unfortunately, it doesn't speak, so people that don't believe in evolution bring it out and misinterpret it to mean, "Ape became this thing, then this thing became this thing, then this thing became this thing, then this thing became this thing and that thing became a man." But that is not how evolution works. Evolution is not a straight line from one animal to another animal. It is better described as a bush. Lots of different species can evolve from one species and some of those will survive and others will die off. Chimpanzees didn't evolve into people, Chimpanzees evolved from one species and humans took a different evolutionary path from that same species. So they share the same ancestor. As do all the other species that are on that little chart. So to answer the pictures question "Where are all of these?" They went extinct because the evolutionary path their species went on unfortunately was not the best adaptation to the environments in which they lived. Humans and chimps however adapted well to their environments (although, Chimps may be going extinct in the not too distant future).

Thanks for the advice. This is what I came up with.

The horse shoe crab has been on the planet for 445 million years. It was a horse shoe crab then and it’s a horse shoe crab now. The plant gingko biloba has been on the planet 275 million years. It was gingko biloba then and it’s gingko biloba now.

Yes, I would rather believe we all come from single celled organisms rather than a magic genie in the sky, but they’re both about as believable.

If evolution were real we would be able to go to the zoo and not only see a elephant, but see a living form of an elephant in every stage of evolution go back to the creature that crawled out of the ocean. But that’s not the case.

Adaptation is fact, evolution is theory.

Here’s a link:
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-oldest-living-animal-species-on-earth.htm

If a colony of horseshoe crabs becomes completely seperated from other horseshoe crabs in an environment not normally suited for horseshoe crabs, most of those horseshoe crabs will die. But if a few have just the right the qualities to survive in that new environment (eg. a thicker shell or something), then they will pass on their genes because they don't die. Now they procreate thicker shell horseshoe crab offspring and so on until you have two species (horseshoe crabs with which we are all familiar, and in this hypothetical part of the planet where the horseshoe crabs had to adapt to their environment, we have the new species called Thick Shell Horseshoe crabs).

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

This. Evolution is a belief system just like religion.

People get confused between evolution and adaptation.

Here. This interviewer asks the smartest minds in science (biology, physics, chemistry, etc) and they can't answer one simple question: "give one example in change in kind..." and they can't do it...

I've watched this over and over again... Its entertaining (don't view it as a religious spin - just view as science question):

"evolution is not testable over time" ha ha

[YT]RNBPDXWA8Q4[/YT]

Last edited:

Here. This interviewer asks the smartest minds in science (biology, physics, chemistry, etc) and they can't answer one simple question: "give one example in change in kind..." and they can't do it...

I've watched this over and over again... Its entertaining:

[YT]RNBPDXWA8Q4[/YT]

I absolutely love when people who have no idea about biology use the word "kinds."

Care to define what a "kind" is?

I've watched this over and over again... Its entertaining:

[YT]RNBPDXWA8Q4[/YT]

The main thing they don't understand is the term Kind. As it is non scientific term.
The closest fossil record of a change in kind is in whales, though the evidence will not be enough for doubters, as it does take some "faith", a term I do not shy away from personally but some do when they get into this debate.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evograms_03

Check out the Miller-Urey experiment and the Lucy skeleton. Those are pretty solid bullets for you. Legit proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back