"Everyone who lifts seriously can deadlift 4 plates in a year?"

it depends. some people have a weak deadlift but a really strong squat.

That's true I haven't added anything to my DL 1RM in 6 months and I weigh more...

I also went in reverse soon after rounded back hoisting double bodyweight. Had I known my window to be considered a real man was closing I would've slapped on those last half plates and laughed all the way to the OR.

At least you can squat three plates!

You cannot generalize a thing like that. Not to mention it's really stupid. This ain't a sprint my friend.
Push yourself hard as much as you can! But don't get all CT Fletcher all the time!

The sentiment that inspired this thread is stupid. Literally stupid. Yay for being exclusionary like a boss. I cannot imagine making a flat statement about pounds someone needs to be able to lift to be at X Level unless that level is Elite or, far better, world class. If your numbers are not at those levels, then they are simply what you can lift right now.

Nothing qualifies anyone to be a real lifter aside from putting in the [quality] work and intent. I have more respect for a dedicated 70 year-old woman who prioritizes her lifting above all than I do for some dipshit college bro who lifts 3x more than her when he hits the gym six times in a month-long timespan.

I will deadlift 400 lb--at 114 or, if I ever am not fat again, at 105. I guess only then will I be a true lifter.

Yeah I completely agree.

And 400 at any weight class would be awesome. I have no doubt you will do that some day.

You can do it, I believe in you.

It's not even something I'm considering now. I think 315 is my real long, long term goal. It's only 40 pounds away from my max so I guess it's a pretty lame lifetime goal lol

The sentiment that inspired this thread is stupid. Literally stupid. Yay for being exclusionary like a boss. I cannot imagine making a flat statement about pounds someone needs to be able to lift to be at X Level unless that level is Elite or, far better, world class. If your numbers are not at those levels, then they are simply what you can lift right now.

Nothing qualifies anyone to be a real lifter aside from putting in the [quality] work and intent. I have more respect for a dedicated 70 year-old woman who prioritizes her lifting above all than I do for some dipshit college bro who lifts 3x more than her when he hits the gym six times in a month-long timespan.

I will deadlift 400 lb--at 114 or, if I ever am not fat again, at 105. I guess only then will I be a true lifter.

You got that right! Sheesh...

I would say a 2X BW deadlift is attainable in one year... Hell I did it...

I think this is a more reasonable expectation for the general public (including ladies).

My line is, "I won't make fun of how much someone can lift, but I will sure make fun of HOW they lift"

I also went in reverse soon after rounded back hoisting double bodyweight. Had I known my window to be considered a real man was closing I would've slapped on those last half plates and laughed all the way to the OR.

At least you can squat three plates!

Goal for this year is to bench 2, squat 3 and deadlift 4. I've hit the middle one and I'm only 5kg off the other two.

I think being "365 strong" is a better endeavour. Yeah I can go in on a good day right now and maybe grind out 180-185kg on the deadlift. But I'd rather be able to rep 170kg for sets of 5 any day of the week.

That seems like a fair statement to make if that is your goal and you train consistently with that goal in mind.

Even someone with average genetics should be able to do it, or get close. As a senior two of my friends and myself were able to lift 300 without lifting, (at 155/160). Another friend (who was 200+) was able to get 340 without touching a weight.

If your reading this thread and didn't hit the numbers don't be disheartened. Frame size, diet and training are all huge variables here.
If you've been training military/squats/deads/bench for a year and can't do 135, 300, 350, 225; you stuffed up. (If your average size, 5'10 155 lean untrained.)

It took me about a year to get to 405 and I weighed about 185 at the time. Then I started injuring my back, then I had three kids, then I got busy with work (and sloppy as fuck) For about five years I stopped lifting entirely. I've since gotten back into working out and I'm in good lean shape at 170 but, sad to say, I've developed somewhat of a fear of the dead lift. I got back up to 335 but started to feel a little bit of a tweak in my lower back and have avoided pushing any further.

But it is very possible to do it your male and you have a good program and hit the gym religiously and take good care of your diet.

Does your boyfriend approve of you calling him "your male"?

It obviously depends on your starting size / weight / strength / training, but yeah - if your goal is heavy lifting that number is a very attainable goal. I see it more realistic with DL because a lot of people suffer some serious trepidation with squat because the weight is physically on them. DL gives those people who lack confidence of having done higher weight the chance to try with very little repercussion from failure.

The 500lbs plateau is the one that absolutely had me banging my head against a wall. Making huge leaps in weight up to the 400lbs mark was common, but after 450lbs up to 500+, every 10lbs was a mental struggle. I found myself having to constantly de-load every cycle, whereas before I could just start a fresh cycle with more weight.

I would say a 2X BW deadlift is attainable in one year... Hell I did it...

I pulled twice-bodyweight my first time deadlifting (320 at 160, though I admittedly had been in the gym for a while), and Babyeater (225 at 110) did the same. Obviously, this is completely contingent upon age/gender/weight/prior experience/etc., and we both started higher relative strength numbers because of lower bodyweights.

But the deadlift, like all lifts, are affected by build and leverages--a lifter with exceptional leverages will make improvements faster than one with horrible leverages.

I would say the average person could do it, but not everyone. It doesn't matter though- all that matters is whether or not you are stronger than you were a year ago.

I've been training for a little over four months consistently (with more of a focus on bodybuilding) and can pull 405. If you're lifting and eating like an animal it's definitely attainable.

I've been training for a little over four months consistently (with more of a focus on bodybuilding) and can pull 405. If you're lifting and eating like an animal it's definitely attainable.

You don't have to eat like an animal unless you train like an animal. You are supposed to lift 400 pounds, not weigh 400 pounds.
Anyone who's been training for 4 months is not training like an animal, and should still be eating pretty much like he did before he started training, unless his diet used to be horrible.
Lifting around 400 pounds is perfectly possible to achieve by training with moderate intensity once or twice a week.

You don't have to eat like an animal unless you train like an animal. You are supposed to lift 400 pounds, not weigh 400 pounds.
Anyone who's been training for 4 months is not training like an animal, and should still be eating pretty much like he did before he started training, unless his diet used to be horrible.
Lifting around 400 pounds is perfectly possible to achieve by training with moderate intensity once or twice a week.

When I say eat like an animal, I don't mean 18 big macs a day. The majority of guys I know don't consume nearly enough protein and fill up on empty carbs from shitty food. Eating lots of meat and consuming at or above maintenance calories is fairly prerequisite for making advances in the gym.

Training like an animal, once again, is relative. Going into the gym and sitting on your cell phone, half assing/quitting on sets and using weight that isn't challenging won't get results. If a person goes in, gives it all they have for an hour or so and leaves with a good sweat, I consider that training like an animal. I use the term to indicate giving 100% of one's effort, not as an endorsement of stupidity/overtraining.

Back