EVERYONE! Please refer to the ANACONDA choke...

Ive done it with the roll and without..you definitly have more leverage if you complete the roll.

i say we call it "the most commonly asked question on sherdog choke."

makes more sense then the "gator roll" ... gaybag

I do the anaconda choke when I go to the pictures and multimedia section because of all the sexiness ladies there

TheHighlander said:
I wouldn't call it an inverted kata gatame either...maybe a rear inverted kata gatame, but it really isn't a pin so shouldn't be called 'gatame'.

Technically (in Judo language) it's a rolling Okuri-eri-jime from the front, or "Okano" style Okuri-eri-jime (from judo stylist Isao Okano who used it to great effect in the 1964 Olympics). Without the gi it's a rolling Hadaka-jime (naked strangle) from the front.

So yeah, "Gator Roll" works for me. Because I'm pretty sure there were alligators around in 1964.

Bubble Boy said:
Technically (in Judo language) it's a rolling Okuri-eri-jime from the front, or "Okano" style Okuri-eri-jime (from judo stylist Isao Okano who used it to great effect in the 1964 Olympics). Without the gi it's a rolling Hadaka-jime (naked strangle) from the front.

So yeah, "Gator Roll" works for me. Because I'm pretty sure there were alligators around in 1964.

Aren't the hadaka-jime usually just on the neck, not the neck + arm? I've seen a head + arm choke referred to as Kata Hagai, but don't really know which way I would describe it, being both inverted and from the rear (Ushiro Gyaku Kata Hagai?). It's hard enough labeling these in English. Rear inverted arm triangle isn't really a label that works for anybody. Figure-four wrestler's front headlock. Anaconda choke doesn't get confused with anything else, so it's good for me.

TheHighlander said:
Aren't the hadaka-jime usually just on the neck, not the neck + arm? I've seen a head + arm choke referred to as Kata Hagai, but don't really know which way I would describe it, being both inverted and from the rear (Ushiro Gyaku Kata Hagai?). It's hard enough labeling these in English. Rear inverted arm triangle isn't really a label that works for anybody. Figure-four wrestler's front headlock. Anaconda choke doesn't get confused with anything else, so it's good for me.

Yeah, you'd probably find even less concensus in Judo about what to call it. Any kind of hadaka jime label would, I feel, be inappropriate

TheHighlander said:
Aren't the hadaka-jime usually just on the neck, not the neck + arm? It's hard enough labeling these in English. Rear inverted arm triangle isn't really a label that works for anybody. Figure-four wrestler's front headlock. Anaconda choke doesn't get confused with anything else, so it's good for me.

Yeah Highlander, I'm more or less just joking around about this stuff. It's a choke that's been around forever. Just about any Judo choke can be turned into the Anaconda, simply by calling it the rolling variation of *judo choke* from the front.
The fact that it was used in the very first Olympic Judo tournament in 1964 should say something for the common nature of this move, that is for some reason just now showing up in MMA and being credited to Nog.

BTW, the reverse rolling Kata-ha-jime from the front is what you are describing when the neck and the arm are involved.
Hadaka-jime simply means Naked Strangle. There's no implication of rear naked or anythng like that, it simply means naked choke, which is basically "without gi." It's a pretty broad definition, with a lot of wiggle room.

Bubble Boy said:
Yeah Highlander, I'm more or less just joking around about this stuff. It's a choke that's been around forever. Just about any Judo choke can be turned into the Anaconda, simply by calling it the rolling variation of *judo choke* from the front.
The fact that it was used in the very first Olympic Judo tournament in 1964 should say something for the common nature of this move, that is for some reason just now showing up in MMA and being credited to Nog.

Don't worry, I'm not too serious either. I don't often see it credited to Nog for creating, merely popularizing.

BTW, the reverse rolling Kata-ha-jime from the front is what you are describing when the neck and the arm are involved.
Hadaka-jime simply means Naked Strangle. There's no implication of rear naked or anythng like that, it simply means naked choke, which is basically "without gi." It's a pretty broad definition, with a lot of wiggle room.

No short label is going to be completely descriptive. Hadaka Jime is commonly used for the RNC? Or do they use it for guillotines as well?

I'm still hoping someone has the Anaconda/NOG/Gator WTF-ever choke pics from graciemag saved to their HD & will post them here again.

Seriously, is this THE most discussed choke EVER?

Well, there aren't that many chokes seen in MMA, at least not in high profile matches. Guillotine, RNC are pretty common and known by anybody with even a little grappling experience and side chokes are rarely attempted or successful. There aren't many no gi chokes otherwise and I have yet to see an ezekiel or Brabo choke in MMA.

I think I saw a set of pics on the MMA forum...not sure if they are the ones you are referring to.

Actually anacondas do roll their prey around when they choke them. Like most animals in nature anacondas go after weaker prey that isn't going to pose much of a threat. With that strength and speed hitting the weaker animal in a spinning fashion it causes the prey to spin around in circles with the anaconda before it is wraped up and squeezed tightly. Plus it is the squeezing that fucks the animal up with an anaconda, much like the choke. But with alligator it is the rolling and the thrashing that finish the victim. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the anaconda choke is a more logical name.

Bighead said:
Actually anacondas do roll their prey around when they choke them. Like most animals in nature anacondas go after weaker prey that isn't going to pose much of a threat. With that strength and speed hitting the weaker animal in a spinning fashion it causes the prey to spin around in circles with the anaconda before it is wraped up and squeezed tightly. Plus it is the squeezing that fucks the animal up with an anaconda, much like the choke. But with alligator it is the rolling and the thrashing that finish the victim. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the anaconda choke is a more logical name.

Exactly, and to add to what bighead said Gator Roll is a wrestling term for a move where you grab someone in the same position as the choke is achieved and many others. There's more than one way to grip someone in the sprawl position and roll under them. It's always referred to as a Gator Roll in wrestling though. It's not a submission in wrestling, but used to gain top position and go for the pin. You can even do neck cranks by trapping an arm and rolling through. But the SUBMISSION (not the roll through) is called the Anaconda Choke. As stated, the best way to gain the most leverage to execute this choke is to spin the person to his back and clock your hips towards his head so you end up in an "L" shape with your opponent. Nog executed it perfectly and quite frankly it looked more like an snake squeezing it's prey than an alligator. Just watch the movie Anaconda, lol.

err why not call it the anaconda choke? how is gator roll better? Gator roll is a technique in wrestling and it 's purpose is not to choke someone out (it's used to pin someone) and therefore the submission that nogueira and couture pulled off on their opponents should not be called gator roll.

that being said... i do think anaconda choke is a stupid name.

flyingknee16 said:
I applaud Randy for keeping an open mind and trying to use Nogueira's technique to finish Van Arsdales. However, the difference between him and Nogueira is that Nogueira did it out of nowhere and got it basically everytime he tried. Randy basically tried muscling it and kept messing up and well, IMO didn't do the technique justice. If someone brings a TOTALLY new technique to MMA (as in, it's never been done in MMA before), IMO I'd try to either do it flawlessly or at least improve upon it in some way.

keep in mind that Randy is no nogueira when it comes to submissions. Ofcourse Nog is gonna look slicker when pulling off those subs..Randy's main game isnt submissions.

oasisatmidnight said:
.....snakes an gaters are older than any in man kind

but are they older than the anaconda choke??
we all know that adam choked out Eve many a time when she was talking back and not in the kitchen where she belongs....:)

Back