Social Evergreen State College After Meltdown: Enrollment Drops by 40%, Faculty down 20%

Bret posted this yesterday on his channel, not sure if it's already been posted.

Thanks for the update!

Knowing the WR, I bet somebody without any creativity gonna take your post and make yet another copy-cat thread with it a week later, for some unknown reasons.

Last edited:
Well, it didn't take long for somebody to attempt to put together a hit piece:

They paid so much in severance packages, and get hit with an enrollment shortage

At least their property will make a nice seaside resort

Well, it didn't take long for somebody to attempt to put together a hit piece:

”Bret Weinstein got to go in front of Congress and talk to some of the most powerful people in the nation about how he’s being oppressed by woke college kids."

Lol, that's literally the first sentence. How deranged do you have to be to publish that with your name on it...

”Bret Weinstein got to go in front of Congress and talk to some of the most powerful people in the nation about how he’s being oppressed by woke college kids."

Lol, that's literally the first sentence. How deranged do you have to be to publish that with your name on it...

I think we can safely say at this point that people who are still so disconnected from reality in regards to this fiasco might be legitimately mentally ill.

Former Evergreen State College professor Bret Weinstein reflects on the lessons learned in the year since a campus mob targeted him when he refused to participate in a 'Day of Absence' where white people were told to leave campus - and he ultimately resigned.

Last edited:
Profs claim Evergreen State report whitewashed campus meltdown
By Adam Sabes | May 31, 2018​

Evergreen State College released a 38-page “Independent” report on the protests and riots of last spring that is far from “independent,” claims a former administrator at the college.

Last spring, Evergreen State was engulfed in riots after a Bret Weinstein, a former professor, sent an email questioning the school’s “day of absence,” which called for white students to leave campus for a day of diversity workshops while students of color stayed on campus to participate in a different form of diversity programming.

After accosting Weinstein in class and verbally berating him to the point that the campus police chief suggested he leave campus for his own safety, the student protesters then held several high-ranking administrators hostage until they agreed to comply with a list of demands.

The report was commissioned to review the situation and provide feedback on how the college could prevent and control a recurrence of similar disruptions.

President George Bridges nominated people to conduct the “Independent” review, which was then followed by vetting and approval of the nominees by the Board of Trustees.

Multiple faculty members and a former high-ranking administrator, however, claim that the report is far from “Independent.”

In particular, the fact that Bridges allegedly “handpicked” members of the “Independent External Review Panel” made some faculty question the validity of the report.

Michael Zimmerman, former Provost and VP of Academic Affairs at Evergreen State, told Campus Reform that because members of the panel were handpicked by Bridges, the report could not be considered “Independent” in any way.

In addition, Zimmerman claimed that Bridges and his Chief of Staff, John Carmichael, saw a “draft report” of the panel’s findings before the final draft was released.

While Zimmerman acknowledged that he is not in the position to imply thoughts to anyone else, he remarked that “the only thing that seems reasonable is that [Bridges] wanted to make sure it didn't say anything he wasn’t happy with. He was paying for it, he wanted to make sure it said what he wanted it to say.”

Further, the panel conducting the report interviewed 15 people, 12 of whom were faculty, staff, or administrators at Evergreen State. All three of the students who were interviewed, meanwhile, expressed a positive view of the protests last spring, and none had a neutral or negative perception.

As Zimmerman pointed out, the former chief of campus police, Stacy Brown, was not interviewed, nor was Bret Weinstein.

Peter Dorman, an economics professor at Evergreen State College, concurs that the panel should have interviewed people from all sides of the controversy.

“I think the review team should have interviewed all the principals, on all sides,” Dorman told Campus Reform. “They should have solicited the views of Bret Weinstein, Naima Lowe, and anyone else in a position to provide evidence and interpretation. Above all, they should have interviewed many students on all sides of this controversy.”

Dorman also believes that it would be mistaken to think that the college blew up over a “radical social justice agenda,” asserting that the demonstrations and official Equity Plan that the campus supported “were long on attitude and rhetoric but limited in actual demands for institutional change, even though there are obvious (from my point of view) equity gaps that ought to be addressed.”

Naima Lowe—the Evergreen State professor who berated white colleagues on campus, declaring that “You are now those motherf***ers that we’re pushing against”—was also not interviewed for the report, and was only mentioned once.

While the report does not mention Bret Weinstein by name, it does place much of the blame on him, referring to a “faculty member” who conducted interviews with national media outlets, including Fox News, “that were used to make a political point, magnify the events’ significance, and ended up drawing to campus radical groups from the left and right, intent on causing further disruption and attracting more media attention to the Evergreen events.”

Perhaps the most egregious error in the report, according to Zimmerman, is when the panel deliberately lied about campus events, even commending the administration for avoiding “physical injury and damage to property.” In fact, there was at least one physical assault, which student protesters prevented campus police from investigating, and damage to property in excess of $10,000.

“We are also impressed that in the handling of the events in real time—while controversial for many—the administration kept its cool and managed the situation (sometimes despite withering criticism) in a way that avoided physical injury and damage to property,” the panel stated in the report. “We commend all of these actions, and noted from our interviews that additional initiatives are under consideration as well.”

Zimmerman told Campus Reform that he lost all faith in the integrity of the panel after reading that statement.

“Although I had very little belief in the integrity of the panel or the panel’s work, when I came to that, I realized that I had nonetheless given them too much credit,” he remarked, adding that the panel’s conclusion was “unbelievable” because Evergreen State’s own police reached the exact opposite conclusion.

Dorman, for his part, said the report solidified “the standard narrative about a campus gone wild with violent ultra-leftism,” explaining that “by avoiding all the uncomfortable questions, it leaves their answers to right wing ideologues.”

The economics professor gave examples of questions that should have been answered by the panel, such as "What exactly was the relationship between the administration and the demonstrators?” and “Why was the administration unwilling to criticize, much less actively respond to, abusive behavior by some demonstrators?”

“Since there were no organizations or elected leadership behind the demonstrations,” he added, it is also worth asking, “how well did the demonstrators represent students concerned with social justice at Evergreen?”

Dorman said he doesn’t know why the administration wasn’t willing to condemn some of the more abusive behavior by protesters, pointing out that this caused great harm to the college and suggesting that students should seek about more effective approaches when they want to bring about change.

“This is the aspect of the events that caused the greatest harm to the college, so it should have been explored in detail. My view is that students normally go through a learning process in many aspects of their life, including activism,” he explained. “I would like students to be more effective in promoting change than what we saw last spring, but I am willing to cut them a lot of slack.”

Another Evergreen State professor, Mike Paros, even compared the report to an “April Fools” joke of some sort.

“Somehow I must have missed the customary ‘April Fools!’ proclamation that normally follows these types of hoaxes, fake stories, and practical jokes,” Paros remarks in an op-ed provided to Campus Reform, asserting that faculty and staff members are scared to speak out because they fear losing their jobs if they do.

“Faculty and staff are also embarrassed but remain silent out of fear of losing their jobs,” he writes, saying school employees are well aware “that the college President himself will ultimately decide how to implement the twelve percent budget cuts needed to make up for plummeting enrollment.”

Paros notes that Evergreen professors enjoy being granted “unprecedented autonomy to create curriculum,” and that they “resist recommendations for more ‘student-centered’ courses,” as suggested in the report.

However, the professor stresses that most of the students he teaches “don’t want to be shielded from ideas and content they find discomforting and challenging,” saying they “resent being stereotyped as intellectually and emotionally fragile due to their skin color, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, veteran status, and age,” and that “Many feel humiliated by the vulgar behavior of fellow students and the administration’s cowardly reaction.”

Zimmerman agreed that the report shows that Evergreen State is playing the “blame-game” in order to minimize damage to the college, trying to blame Weinstein for most of their falls.

“What they’re trying to do is blame Bret for inciting most of this, by being a racist, and then going public,” said Zimmerman. “[Weinstein] is not a racist. He is no more racist than anyone else on the campus.”

Zimmerman pointed out that Weinstein was merely asking for a dialogue on some of the proposals being promoted at Evergreen, which Zimmerman believes “are more likely to do harm to the underrepresented groups that they were designed to fix, that they were designed to help, than proponents thought they would.”

“If Evergreen’s looming financial crisis becomes fatal, we now have a historical document placing blame not on Bridges, but on [Weinstein],” Paros states in an unpublished local newspaper op-ed. “Nor do I support the panel and Bridge’s prejudicial and paternalistic view that the current Evergreen student can no longer handle innovative, interdisciplinary, and thought provoking courses simply on the basis of belonging to a particular category of people.”

The obnoxiousness comes in with the way they're treating people (not saying all their ideas are good, either, but bad ideas are pretty widespread). What bothered me about the story before seeing an alternate perspective was the lack of any plausible motivation for the bad behavior and for the activity schedule. But reading those pieces, I see, OK, it's a long-standing tradition that has an understandable (whether right or wrong) purpose that was changed a little (and I'll get into your objection there), there were other things going on, it started with a dialogue, and then it got heated. That all makes a lot more sense than just that they decided to be racist against whites and then all got mad and pursued this professor for mildly disagreeing with that.

Fair. I had not been following this thread or story at all.

I think that's *too* broadly speaking. What I'm gathering it is (by the concrete actions taken and some comments) is that people develop unconscious bias that reinforces power dynamics. That seems to be both a reasonable view and an appropriate subject for discussion in a classroom, though the devil is in the details. Also, while I hate identity politics, to a large extent it's fighting fire with fire. LBJ: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." That's still playing out. See Trump + the GOP tax plan. My primary interest in gov't is in policy, but right-wing identity politics is a major practical obstacle to good policy. I think the main avenue to fighting that scourge is encouraging "Americanism" as an identity (posted this before), but having uncomfortable discussions about unconscious bias is plausibly part of it, though not in a way that provokes backlash.

I think the answer is "ask them." Argue reasonably--press where the ideas are weak, give where they're strong, etc. I am skeptical that the people you name there really much of an influence any more (there was a fad period but it's passed from what I can see).

I think that's a reasonable point except that there's an unstated assumption that the impetus here is coming from black students. If it's a group of students who previously said, "hey, we're staying home on this day" that then switch to "hey, you stay home on this day," that's clearly a different ballgame, and the criticism makes sense. Putting aside any racial implications, that would be presumptuous as hell. But that also rings a little implausible (and I don't know if it's true or not).

:) Sure, if you read it in an unreasonably literal way. Without the NYT and HuffPo pieces filling some blanks in, the motivations don't sound sufficient to be as descriptions of humans acting. The villains of the story don't ring true. That's a problem in fiction, and it's an even bigger problem in the news to a critical reader.

I'd like to see a discussion of the merits of the arguments (and more fleshing out of their arguments). But I suspect, "some argue in support of positions that others disagree with" wouldn't catch fire in a certain corner of the media the same way as "evil, white-people-hating monster kids take over university!" has. So we are where we are (another tautology that makes more sense if you think about it more). Without the boorishness on the part of the students and the misrepresentations on the part of propagandists looking to profit politically off that boorishness, there's nothing here (think of the barn scene in DeLillo's "White Noise").
Ha!

My recommendation (and this is a general one) would be to try to make your threads less boring, though the subject matter here is inherently boring so it would be a challenge.

Poor jack tried to claim this was boring, nothing to see here folks, but turned out to be anything but.

Evergreen State College to reinvent itself to survive after 20% decline in enrollment
By Katherine Long | June 17, 2018

824cc414-7111-11e8-a540-565ad3fbf220-640x362.jpg

The Evergreen State College’s graduation is held in Red Square on the campus Friday. The college is anticipating a big drop in enrollment this fall.

No grades, no departments, no majors. For years, The Evergreen State College has been famous for a freewheeling approach to higher education.

But last spring, after demonstrations rocked the campus, critics on the right — and sometimes the left — characterized the Olympia public college as a place where an extreme form of political correctness had taken hold.

This fall, Evergreen expects its enrollment to drop by 20 percent.

Now school officials and faculty are wondering what’s to blame and how they can reverse the accelerating trend. Was it the demonstrations, our changing national politics or incessant media coverage?

The answer is debated. But one thing school officials agree on: Evergreen needs to reinvent itself to survive.

Its president, George Bridges, says the school is already trying to do that, moving away from its unstructured, 1970s model of education. He also thinks it needs to do a better job of telling the story of grads who used Evergreen as a springboard to success in software, music and other areas.

Even so, some critics argue that the school isn’t changing enough, and that it’s wrong to think of its woes as a marketing problem. They say the school should be more tolerant of a range of viewpoints, more welcoming to students who don’t fit its mold.

Nationwide, liberal-arts colleges like Evergreen have seen a steady decline in enrollment over the past decade as price-conscious, career-minded students flock to traditional colleges and major in specific areas — like business and computer science — that lead to high-paying jobs.

And although Bridges agrees the enrollment decline was made worse by the demonstrations, he thinks the issues of the college are “really complex and not attributable to any one factor.”

To others, Evergreen’s enrollment woes are almost surely due to last year’s negative publicity.

Said Evergreen faculty member Carolyn Prouty: “It’s very clear the media has really impacted how students are choosing, or not choosing, Evergreen.”

Campus culture

Founded by the state in 1967 as an experimental, nontraditional college, Evergreen is an outlier in many ways — it’s one of the nation’s only alternative, liberal-arts colleges that’s also publicly funded. Most liberal-arts schools are private, and many are located in the Northeast.

In a sense, Evergreen reinvents itself every year. It does not offer a set of core classes that constitute the basis of specific college majors; many Evergreen courses are taught by teams of two or three professors from different disciplines, and the curriculum is constantly revised or rewritten. From year to year, its course catalog varies.

Most students take a single course each quarter that runs 16 hours a week, and receive a written evaluation from their professors instead of a letter grade.

Evergreen accepts 95 percent of its applicants. About 38 percent of freshmen receive federal Pell grants, meaning they are low-income, and about 17 percent are underrepresented minorities — black, Latino or Native American.

Last spring, a complex series of issues centered on race came to a head when a professor criticized the “Day of Presence/Day of Absence,” in which organizers asked white students to stay off campus for a day.

The professor, Brett Weinstein, received death threats, as videos of students shouting him down and taking over campus buildings went viral. An anonymous caller’s threats forced the college to close for two days. The conservative political group Patriot Prayer marched onto campus and clashed with students.

The atmosphere was so raw that last June, Evergreen couldn’t hold its own graduation ceremony as usual in the college’s central plaza, choosing instead to hold it at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma under tight security.

Fast-forward to this year: The college did not sponsor another “Day of Presence/Day of Absence,” although some students held their own event. There have been no major student protests, or campus closures because of death threats. Graduation was once again held on Red Square plaza.

The campus feels safe, as it has always felt, said Prouty, the faculty member. Only the perception of it has changed, she said.

But Evergreen has remained in the spotlight. Just last month, in a column critical of President Donald Trump, conservative Washington Post writer Michael Gerson called out Evergreen as one of those college campuses “where consciousness has been raised into the stratosphere of silliness and boorishness.” Month after month, especially on conservative websites like Campus Reform and The College Fix, Evergreen is in the news.

“Once upon a time, when there was a conflict on campus, it stayed on campus,” said Teresa Valerio Parrot, the founder of TVP Communications in Denver, which advises colleges and universities on public-relations issues.

In today’s charged environment, activists who want to disrupt a left-leaning college’s culture often go straight to media outlets to express their outrage. “They’re protesting the greater campus culture, and how they don’t fit into that,” she said.

“Liberal Education in the College Bubble”

3e82ba9e-7121-11e8-a540-565ad3fbf220-1020x764.jpg

Even before last spring, Bridges — who became Evergreen’s president in 2015 — was working on a turnaround plan to address a decade of declining enrollment and to change the school’s model.

With help from the Mellon Foundation of New York, the college has created seven new pathways of study that will help students plan which courses to take over four years. Examples include media, literary arts, food/agriculture and integrated computer science, math and physics.

The college will also begin a marketing campaign designed to better tell the story of Evergreen. And it has hired a new provost and new leadership team.

Because the college has a rolling admissions deadline, its projected fall enrollment decline is a prediction. But to prepare for a drop, it has had to cut $6 million out of its budget — a little over 10 percent of the total — and lay off 20 faculty and staff. In addition, 19 vacant staff positions will be unfilled.

Michael Zimmerman, one of Evergreen’s outspoken critics, thinks the college isn’t doing enough to make itself welcoming to people from a wide range of backgrounds. Zimmerman was Evergreen’s provost from 2011 to 2016; he says Bridges asked him to leave that post shortly after he took office. He still has tenure at the school and plans to teach there.

Zimmerman thinks Bridges has doubled down on the same political correctness that led to problems in the first place, and that the changes he’s enacted are bolstering the culture around “social justice, and trigger warnings, and implicit bias than anything else.”

Faculty member Mike Paros agrees. He says some data show that students who dropped out didn’t find the curriculum rigorous enough, or didn’t fit in.

“A ‘rigorous’ education means that students are exposed to a multitude of opinions and perspectives, and if a student has a minority opinion, they shouldn’t be told to shut up and labeled as a bigot,” Paros said via email. “Do you think that might have something to do with ‘not fitting in’?”

Paros is teaching a class in fall 2018 titled “Liberal Education in the College Bubble,” and plans to use Evergreen as a case study. The class is full and has a waiting list.

Prouty and several other faculty members said they believe many prospective students aren’t applying because they’ve gotten a distorted and very negative idea of what Evergreen is all about.

Anne Fischel, a faculty member who’s planning to retire soon, says she’s recently been rereading student self-evaluations as she cleans out her office. She says they testify “to the extraordinary nature of their learning — how hard they worked, how much they gained, how not only their knowledge but their sense of self and intellectual potential grew over the quarter or the year.”

“I wish that this face of Evergreen could be visible to the public,” said Fischel via email, “because it is the single most important contribution that the college is making to higher education.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...pdating-after-protests-decline-in-enrollment/

Former Evergreen police chief says she faced ‘open hostility on an almost daily basis’
By Abby Spegmann | July 17, 2018

IMG_1evergreen_15_1_2SC1OU3A_L332582525.JPG

Stacy Brown, center, the former Evergreen police chief, appears before the Washington Senate Law and Justice Committee in June 2017 with Evergreen president George Bridges and Colleen Rust, the college’s director of government relations

Another employee at the center of last year’s unrest at The Evergreen State College is in talks to settle a claim against the college, according to her lawyer.

Stacy Brown was Evergreen’s police chief for the 2016-17 school year, when allegations of racism and intolerance on campus erupted into protests and pulled Evergreen into a national debate over free speech on college campuses.

Brown, a target of student protests, left last August to become a Tumwater police officer. She filed a tort claim — a prerequisite to a lawsuit against a state agency — at the end of May alleging college administrators failed to protect her from gender-based discrimination and a hostile work environment.

Brown is seeking $625,000 in damages. Her attorney, Christopher J. Coker, said he has talked with state officials about a possible settlement.

“We’re going to hopefully get this resolved short of litigation. That’s our hope,” Coker said last week.

Sandra Kaiser, Evergreen’s vice president for college relations, declined to comment on a possible settlement or allegations in the tort claim.

According to the claim, Brown was subjected to “open hostility on an almost daily basis” from students, student employees, faculty and staff. Her tenure got off to a rocky start when protesters disrupted her swearing-in ceremony, blocking the podium and chanting “(expletive) cops!” according to the Cooper Point Journal, the student newspaper.

After that, a faculty member emailed her to say police “were basically fascists” and the disruption was to be expected, according to the claim. Another faculty member told Brown, who is white, that her wearing a uniform and carrying a firearm was meant to “prove she had more ‘privilege’” and intimidate the faculty member, who is not white, according to the claim.

Later a drawing circulated on campus showed Brown in “suggestive clothing, a KKK type hood, and holding a geoduck that appears to be ejaculating,” according to the claim.

According to the claim, Brown told her supervisors about these and other issues but her concerns were ignored. Brown was told because she was a police officer “she should essentially expect to be treated differently and in a hostile manner by both TESC employees and students,” according to the claim.

Brown left a job as a deputy chief with the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office to become chief at Evergreen. After she resigned, she took a job as a patrol officer with Tumwater Police Department and a pay cut of more than $15,000.

Evergreen already has settled claims with other people involved in last year’s unrest.

In September, Bret Weinstein and his wife, both Evergreen professors, agreed to resign as part of a $500,000 settlement. Weinstein’s criticism of the school’s annual Day of Absence made him a target of protesters, and the couple filed a $3.85 million tort claim alleging the college failed to protect them from “verbal and written hostility” and threats of violence.

In December, another professor, Naima Lowe, resigned in exchange for $240,000 to settle her tort claim of discrimination and a hostile work environment, according to an Evergreen spokesman.

Lowe faced online attacks after video showed her confronting other faculty members during a protest.

https://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article215060380.html

Last edited:

Former Evergreen State College professor Bret Weinstein reflects on the lessons learned in the year since a campus mob targeted him when he refused to participate in a 'Day of Absence' where white people were told to leave campus - and he ultimately resigned.

What gets me is that Brett Weinstein lived and worked at the school for years but is somehow only shocked once the insanity is blasted in his direction. This is why I think he is still deeply out of touch.

Former Evergreen police chief says she faced ‘open hostility on an almost daily basis’
By Abby Spegmann | July 17, 2018

IMG_1evergreen_15_1_2SC1OU3A_L332582525.JPG

Stacy Brown, center, the former Evergreen police chief, appears before the Washington Senate Law and Justice Committee in June 2017 with Evergreen president George Bridges and Colleen Rust, the college’s director of government relations

Another employee at the center of last year’s unrest at The Evergreen State College is in talks to settle a claim against the college, according to her lawyer.

Stacy Brown was Evergreen’s police chief for the 2016-17 school year, when allegations of racism and intolerance on campus erupted into protests and pulled Evergreen into a national debate over free speech on college campuses.

Brown, a target of student protests, left last August to become a Tumwater police officer. She filed a tort claim — a prerequisite to a lawsuit against a state agency — at the end of May alleging college administrators failed to protect her from gender-based discrimination and a hostile work environment.

Brown is seeking $625,000 in damages. Her attorney, Christopher J. Coker, said he has talked with state officials about a possible settlement.

“We’re going to hopefully get this resolved short of litigation. That’s our hope,” Coker said last week.

Sandra Kaiser, Evergreen’s vice president for college relations, declined to comment on a possible settlement or allegations in the tort claim.

According to the claim, Brown was subjected to “open hostility on an almost daily basis” from students, student employees, faculty and staff. Her tenure got off to a rocky start when protesters disrupted her swearing-in ceremony, blocking the podium and chanting “(expletive) cops!” according to the Cooper Point Journal, the student newspaper.

After that, a faculty member emailed her to say police “were basically fascists” and the disruption was to be expected, according to the claim. Another faculty member told Brown, who is white, that her wearing a uniform and carrying a firearm was meant to “prove she had more ‘privilege’” and intimidate the faculty member, who is not white, according to the claim.

Later a drawing circulated on campus showed Brown in “suggestive clothing, a KKK type hood, and holding a geoduck that appears to be ejaculating,” according to the claim.

According to the claim, Brown told her supervisors about these and other issues but her concerns were ignored. Brown was told because she was a police officer “she should essentially expect to be treated differently and in a hostile manner by both TESC employees and students,” according to the claim.

Brown left a job as a deputy chief with the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office to become chief at Evergreen. After she resigned, she took a job as a patrol officer with Tumwater Police Department and a pay cut of more than $15,000.

Evergreen already has settled claims with other people involved in last year’s unrest.

In September, Bret Weinstein and his wife, both Evergreen professors, agreed to resign as part of a $500,000 settlement. Weinstein’s criticism of the school’s annual Day of Absence made him a target of protesters, and the couple filed a $3.85 million tort claim alleging the college failed to protect them from “verbal and written hostility” and threats of violence.

In December, another professor, Naima Lowe, resigned in exchange for $240,000 to settle her tort claim of discrimination and a hostile work environment, according to an Evergreen spokesman.

Lowe faced online attacks after video showed her confronting other faculty members during a protest.

https://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article215060380.html
Why do college professors get to cash out with lawsuits for “hostile working environments” while high school teachers have to just accept the abuse?

What gets me is that Brett Weinstein lived and worked at the school for years but is somehow only shocked once the insanity is blasted in his direction. This is why I think he is still deeply out of touch.

That has been a criticism towards him since he first took the spotlight. He spent many years in that school and witnessed things getting crazier and stuck around until he was targeted by the lunatics.

Why do college professors get to cash out with lawsuits for “hostile working environments” while high school teachers have to just accept the abuse?

I'm not sure which High School event you're referring to specifically, so I can't offer much insight on it.

Why don't you make another thread on that with all the relevant info and we'll go from there?

Last edited:
That has been a criticism towards him since he first took the spotlight. He spent many years in that school and witnessed things getting crazier and stuck around until he was targeted by the lunatics.
On the Rogan podcast he said he used to think black conservatives were essentially delusional people working against their own interest. This was a middle aged college professor thinking this. How do these people get to think this way? The arrogance is just insane.

I don’t want to shit on him too badly, but I continue hearing him talk about how to “fix our system”. I just don’t understand how individuals can think they hold the solutions to everyone’s problems without having a track record of fixing anything!

As Evergreen State enrollment shrinks, so does the faculty
Enrollment is down more than 40% from its peak a decade ago
By Abby Spegman / The Olympian | December 2, 2019

19603858_web1_M-Evergreen-State-EDH-191203-1200x709.jpg

OLYMPIA — Freshman Wasmine Ghosheh said she noticed it in the dorms.

When the 19-year-old from Sonoma County, California, arrived at The Evergreen State College in September, she met students who were supposed to have roommates but ended up with their own rooms.

“There’s a lot of space — it’s spacious, let’s say,” Ghosheh said the Friday before Thanksgiving break in a nearly empty cafeteria on campus.

Evergreen’s enrollment this fall was 2,854 students, down more than 40% from its peak head count a decade ago. The decline, corresponding with an economic recovery and mirroring a trend in liberal arts enrollment nationally, was compounded by campus unrest two and a half years ago that made national headlines.

Since then, the college has tried new ways to attract and retain students and shore up its profile. Officials say they are seeing early signs of progress, but President George Bridges told trustees at a November board meeting the college this year will need a “laser focus” in these areas.

Put plainly, students mean tuition, and less tuition means budget cuts. The college’s net annual revenue has been in the red for five years, according to a June financial overview to trustees. In 2018-19, Evergreen looked to cut 10% from its operating budget. For this year, it cut another 5%.

The college plans its course offerings with a 22-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio, so as student numbers have fallen, so too have faculty numbers, said David McAvity, Evergreen’s dean for academic budgets. In just two years, the college has cut the equivalent of 34 full-time faculty positions, a 20% decrease.

Last school year, the college started offering retirement incentives to some tenured faculty. (Evergreen doesn’t use the term “tenured,” however, instead referring to them as faculty with a continuing contract.) This year, incentives are being offered to all tenured faculty who want to leave or reduce their contracts to part time, McAvity said.

At the same time, the college is looking to add faculty in the high demand areas of psychology and computer science.

This summer, the college and its foundation launched a campaign to raise money for scholarships and other programs to bolster the student experience. So far that has raised more than $9.7 million.

This is a new level of fundraising for Evergreen that requires a new level of outreach to alumni and supporters, said Sandra Kaiser, vice president for college relations.

The college also is doing more outreach to lawmakers who control its state funding, trying to make the case for continuing support despite the enrollment trend.

“I don’t have a sense of, ‘If you can’t get it to this number or that number, that’s it, the party is over,’” Kaiser told The Olympian. “But we know we need to perform, we need to deliver and we really want to do it, because we believe in what we do here.”

This year’s student body includes 750 new undergrads, which had been the college’s goal. Kaiser said meeting that is a sign the decline may be slowing.

More good news: There was an uptick in the number of applications from prospective students from outside of Washington, a sign new marketing efforts may be working. Those could have a significant payoff: Out-of-state students pay more than three times the tuition rate for residents.

The bad news: There was a drop in non-resident enrollment this fall, meaning all that interest didn’t translate to more students. Currently about 83% of Evergreen students come from Washington state.

Overall undergraduate retention — that’s students who were enrolled the previous year and came back — was steady this year, but non-resident retention fell to historic lows.

The college is piloting a first-year student success program aimed at increasing retention and student satisfaction. Nearly a third of undergrads on the Olympia campus are first-generation college students, meaning their parents didn’t go to college, and those students are more likely to have trouble navigating the higher education system.

Currently 180 students are learning skills such as how to study, how to stay healthy, and how to find on-campus help with financial aid or registering for classes. Next fall the college plans to offer the course to all first-year students.

Current students say changes on campus as a result of the decade-long decline in enrollment are lost on them.

Ghosheh, the freshman from California, was attracted to Evergreen’s alternative education style. She likes her professor and all the one-on-one attention students here can get.

“I don’t have anything to compare it to,” she said.

With fewer students on campus, it is quiet, said Braden Thompson, a 20-year-old sophomore from Bellevue who lives on campus. But that’s not a bad thing.

“I think the people who live on campus, we’re closer seeing the same faces all the time,” he said. “It feels like a much tighter knit (community) because of that.”

A visit to the 1,000-acre campus was one of the things that sold Evergreen for Zoe Gregorio, 18, a freshman from Omaha, Nebraska.

Gregorio said she has heard about the enrollment decline. But just a few weeks into her college career, she said she wants to stay at Evergreen all four years — as long as it’s still here.

“I love the atmosphere, I love the nature surrounding the campus. It feels like it’s out in the middle of nowhere,” she said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...ogress-but-its-enrollment-is-still-shrinking/

I just googled "Acceptance rate Evergreen State"

97.5%
2016–17

I just googled "Acceptance rate Evergreen State"

97.5%
2016–17

Leftist higher education doesn’t mean anything anymore.

look at the ignorant fuckwits they want in so they want to give extra points to abysmal SAT scores.

Harvard does the same. Only by accepting leftist nonsense and voting Democratic is someone “educated” now. They can hardly do basic math and still get a degree from a top tier college. Just major in something ridiculous, like women’s studies.

Back