Ever notice the more you learn the more you taste?

V

Valgarv

The more I learn about different foods and what's good/bad about them the more I can taste the specific 'crud' that gets added.

I remember a time when a Jiffy PB & J was awesome, Ice Cream made a bad day good, McDonalds was amazing and I actually thought cookies were a reward. The more I learn about foods and the cleaner my eating habbits it seems to become harder to eat these things.

Twinkies are the fucking plague. I couldn't force my self to eat one of those nasty yellow things. After not eating white rice for months and eating it at an office party I could literally FEEL the effects it was having on my body. It's so bad that I can't even enjoy ice cream without it being over-powered by the fat and sugar that it's loaded with.

Am I alone here? I guess it'd sort of be like going blind so your hearing develops to compensate.

No, you're not alone. I had a handful of peanut m&m's and one oreo and a minute after I swallowed I felt like I just made an incision above my stomach and pumped in some lard. It has to be just mental guilt.

I don't think it's just mental guilt. Chad would say the same thing I think about this. Everything you named are foods that are refined, processed, preserved, refined again, processed again, all fake. That shit is manufactured and doesn't really occur naturally. Sure it's composed of things that occur naturally but not altogether at once.

Cleaning up your eating habits removes a lot of that fake ass element from your eating. Any sweets give me terrible indigestion nowadays. McDonald's I don't even like to talk about. I have like 1 item I order from each fast food place which is the one closest thing they have to REAL food and even that's a stretch. If I eat say even a Happy Meal from McDonald's, my energy level and digestion after is in the toilet. Literally.

Everyone who lives on that shit has the same complaints as well. Low energy, fatigue, bad rest habits, bad digestion, etc. When I tell them they need to clean up their eating they all stare at me like I'm speaking in tongues. Like they have NO comprehension of why I would deny them their food vices.

Recently a friend of mine just started a new eating regimen going by the Grocery List I posted up here for someone. He used to eat McDonald's TWICE a day 4 days per week and was up to about 278lbs at 5'9", he's only 24 and had a scare because he was "feeling bad", went to the Doctor and was told he was torpedoeing to health complications. He said after a week or so of eating clean he is now down to 260 (lost a lot of water weight and cut out soda and drinks with calories altogether, so he reduced his caloric intake by about 400 calories or more per day by that alone)...and he says "man, if I even THINK about what I used to eat every day I feel sick."

It's no magic. We're SUPPOSED to be eating better food than America attempts to feed us at low low prices. If you're in America that is.

i agree completely..

however, i still like pizza and ice cream.. i just don't eat it very often.. i don't get cravings or anything.. so it's easy for me to avoid..

plus pizza gives me the worst smelling gas EVAAA!!! :icon_chee

Fast food (burgers / pizza) get too much of a bad rep because people who don't know any better eat that stuff every day. There is plenty of protein & carbs in those food, it just is high in fat and salt. It should not be a staple, but nothing wrong about an occasional meal now and then, IMO.

I get what you are saying though Valgarv; for me the trigger is candy, cakes, or sugar based foods. If I eat that stuff, the second after I ate it, I realize that I got vitrually no enjoyment from it and actually feel a little sick (probably a mental reaction).

Give me a bowl of brown rice, steamed veggies, and grilled chicken and feel physically better after eating. Again, probably partially a mental reaction, but the physiology of the reponse is probably physical also.

And Twinkies....I shudder to even contemplate eating those. Anything on the "Hostess" rack of items that infect the space next to the cashier areas in stores.

Fast food doesn't suck necessarily because of caloric content, it sucks because it's not completely real food. You can taste the difference in quality if you take the time to use say grass-fed beef (like they're supposed to be, not grain-fed which depletes nutrients) and make your own burger. Or when you construct your own pizza using fresh ingredients. Your stomach will feel a lot better and you'll get better use out of the nutrients than you would from a Big Mac or a couple of slices of Domino's.

King Kabuki said:
Fast food doesn't suck necessarily because of caloric content, it sucks because it's not completely real food. You can taste the difference in quality if you take the time to use say grass-fed beef (like they're supposed to be, not grain-fed which depletes nutrients) and make your own burger. Or when you construct your own pizza using fresh ingredients. Your stomach will feel a lot better and you'll get better use out of the nutrients than you would from a Big Mac or a couple of slices of Domino's.

I also usually make my own pizzas. It takes only 2 hours to create the dough prior to tossing/shaping & baking. I do it more for the convienience and the fun of making them myself more than the health aspect, though, as I only eat pizza 1/week at most.

I don't eat a lot of beef - where can I get grass-fed? Butcher? I usually buy 90% lean at the supermarket when I go for ground beef, but since I don't buy it all that often, I haven't given much thought to buying grass-fed. Never seen it advertized, but your post makes me want to try some, Kabuki.

You should be able to get grass-fed either from a Butchery or the local farmer's market that sells meat. I read an article about grass-fed livestock versus grain-fed. It's rare that I buy into things on first-hearing but this shit made too much sense for me not to notice. It talked about how grain-fed fowl and beef is depleted of basically every nutrient that comes in green vegetation (because afterall that's what grass is), and is replaced basically by sugar in the animal's system (which grains equate to). So basically a grain-fed cow is like a man who never eats greens. Especially considering they're SUPPOSED to graze on grass in the first-place. One thing that is present is more substancial omega-3's, in the beef and in grass-fed fowl eggs. Like you see in Grocery stores how now they have eggs WITH Omega-3 fats, well they're SUPPOSED to be there and not need to be fortified with it. They're not because they're only giving the chickens corn, where naturally fowl eat grass and corn.

It was pretty alarming, but eating only grass-fed is expensive as all get-out in America. Just like eating healthier is period. As I make more money I want to convert over to entirely meat which is from animals that feed as they should. The entire taste is even different. Consistency is different. The meat tastes closer like to that of Buffalo or Deer that you just hunted. Like it's actual meat.

This thread makes me think of that speech John Cusack gives in "Say Anything" as Lloyd Dobbler when his love interest's dad asks him what he wants to do with his life.

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

When introduced to good food and it's practices, you're body vibrates on a cellular level just how happy it is, and the exact opposite can be said for bad eating habits. Most of us agree here that whole food is the way to go, but what most don't realize about it is that it's more than just "better for you" than the junk food. When eating whole food, you're balancing your body, it's functions, reactions, emotions, it's natural process. When your body is fed and rested the way it was intended to be, you're body is programmed to understand that on a very deep often never consciously traveled cellular level. There is one person on these forums that understands this, from the previous posts that I've read over the years of being a guest and a member here. Most miss this point.

I suggest you practice eating meditation over a steaming bowl of kichari.
Think about the yogi's and all sentient beings who have inhabited, prospered and learned from nature and all it's healing qualities before us and before the post WW2 era.

I'll stop here for I may go backwoods malitia on everyone.

Hey Chad, I'm looking into buying property someplace where I can just live in a cave for a couple months out of the year, mumble incoherently about the coming of the apocalypse arriving when the last fire goes out, meeting strangers who have never seen civilization and watching as they disappear one day randomly and out pops the brightest and most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen in my life, and eating only what I CAN kill or grow all together on my own.

When I do this, you should come over for a cup of tea, complete with dirt in-glass.

There's a cave for lease a few down from mine. We're a whole community here and we'd love to have you.

Bring your double-end bag cause mine broke.

My whole point in doing this is to NOT be assimilated man.

Chad. I am at a loss for words. Wow.

Uh. Wow.

Wow.

Rjkd12 said:
Chad. I am at a loss for words. Wow.

Uh. Wow.

Wow.

I've been in the stratosphere for a few weeks now.

I'm in the middle of the woods with everything I need to train with but another human being.
I have 2 books. The Tibetan Book of the Dead and the Tao te Ching. One could understand my statements to be a product of my environment.

Chad Hamilton said:
Nonsense.

Good topic.
No, I meant my post. I just posted "Im scared, hold me" and then realized all I was doing was spamming and wanted to delete it. Whatever you're talking about is way over my head.

I'm in the middle of the woods with everything I need to train with but another human being.
I have 2 books. The Tibetan Book of the Dead and the Tao te Ching. One could understand my statements to be a product of my environment.

No I Ching? How dare you! I love Lao Tzu as much as the next Sage but Jesus Chad...you go off into the woods to commune and don't bring the flippin' book of CHANGES!?!?!?

BTW that book is absolutely frightening. I could only read a Chapter a year for a period of years because I literally felt almost a mental overload, like I was getting information I shouldn't have been getting.

Yo King Kabuki, send that Grocery list this way. I'ma look for some recipes to make Kichari. What makes it so good?

Back