Ever notice that a large majority of MMA legends have just awful records?

Most fans these days seem to have lost sight of the fact that it's easy to lose in MMA and the saying anything can happen is not just a trope. People like Anderson Silva and GSP are so much more rare than anyone gives them credit for and people like Machida go from being an MMA god to overrated after one loss following an 11-0 start in the UFC.

The UFC have contradicted themselves many times in this regard shifting focus back and forth from, don't leave it in the hands of the judges because you might be cut with a single loss to being able to survive several losses because you put on a good fight. Losses happen. Just look at Robbie Lawler. It's the ability to lose and come back strong that makes a lot of these guys so special.

Most fans these days seem to have lost sight of the fact that it's easy to lose in MMA and the saying anything can happen is not just a trope. People like Anderson Silva and GSP are so much more rare than anyone gives them credit for and people like Machida go from being an MMA god to overrated after one loss following an 11-0 start in the UFC.

The UFC have contradicted themselves many times in this regard shifting focus back and forth from, don't leave it in the hands of the judges because you might be cut with a single loss to being able to survive several losses because you put on a good fight. Losses happen. Just look at Robbie Lawler. It's the ability to lose and come back strong that makes a lot of these guys so special.

True but that doesn't mean undefeated fighters are any less of fighters just because they didn't have to come back from a loss

Heh? You must be on drugs....
If you can name us half that is not an MMA legend, I wont call you a half wit.

I can't name half of them,most of those guys really are MMA legends. Gotta give you that

Different standards,I guess.

For me,fighters can't be a legend just because they fought for a long time(or fought in Pride) and have only a couple of good wins
Who you got? I got Frank shamrock
Bj penn
Gsp
AS
just a few that come to mind for now but I do agree with quite a few on TS list

Is 35-11 really a bad record?

Thinly veiled Gomi hate thread

Who you got? I got Frank shamrock
Bj penn
Gsp
AS
just a few that come to mind for now but I do agree with quite a few on TS list

As in guys with only a couple of good wins ? No,hell no. Most of the guys GSP,AS,Penn beat in UFC are still a lot better than 'top competition' fighters from the beginning era.

Different standards,I guess.

For me,fighters can't be a legend just because they fought for a long time(or fought in Pride) and have only a couple of good wins
You may as well just name Fedor next time.

The vast majority of the guys TS listed are, or will unquestionably be legends. When people look back on MMA down the line, those are going to be names that people remember. I don't even understand how that is arguable if you've watched this sport for more than a couple of years.

As others have said, you can't look at records too much in MMA to gauge how good or bad a fighter is. (At least not to the same extent you would look at a boxing or kickboxing record) There's too many ways to win and lose, so shit is just bound to not go your way sometimes.

I think this is because the legends continued fighting beyond their eras

Most of their losses were at the end of their careers when they were fighting evolved opponents

The vast majority of the guys TS listed are, or will unquestionably be legends. When people look back on MMA down the line, those are going to be names that people remember. I don't even understand how that is arguable if you've watched this sport for more than a couple of years.

As others have said, you can't look at records too much in MMA to gauge how good or bad a fighter is. (At least not to the same extent you would look at a boxing or kickboxing record) There's too many ways to win and lose, so shit is just bound to not go your way sometimes.
Although I agree with them being legends maybe other people just consider them pioneers

Back