Ever notice that a large majority of MMA legends have just awful records?

At least once,yes.

I don't have to watch all of their fights to figure out if they are legends or not.

Top competition success for a long period of time is the only criteria for me(Even though there are some losses in between),and thats absolutely it.

Couldn't care less about how likable they were,or popular,or if they fought in the beginning era or not.

Oh,don't you guys LOVE those brawlers

My first thought is MMA pays dick all even today but especially in the old days so guys have to stick around to long. But looking at some of those records...30 fights all up. MMA fighters barely fight.

So very few managed to get out of the sport clean before the doors blew off.

Ken Shamrock 28-16
Randy Couture 19-11
Tito Ortiz 18-12
BJ Penn 16-10
Mark Coleman 16-10
Frank Mir 18-10
Mark Hunt 11-10
Kazushi Sakuraba 26-17
Kevin Randleman 17-16
Dan Henderson 31-14
Wanderlei Silva 35-12
Vitor Belfort 25-11
Chuck Liddell 21-8
Shogun Rua 23-10
Rampage Jackson 36-11
Big Nog 34-10
Cro Cop 31-11
Frank Shamrock 23-10
Pedro Rizzo 20-11
Maurice Smith 13-14
Mark Kerr 15-11
Gary Goodridge 23-22
Jens Pulver 27-19
Takanori Gomi 35-11
Don Frye 20-9

I'd argue that a lot of those aren't "awful" records. Rampage's, Cro Cop's and Big Nog's are good records, considering who they have fought.

Another thing to consider is that they were fighting when it was not uncommon to fight injured and just get on with it. The other thing to consider is that almost none of the fighters on that list retired before they exited their prime and fought for too long.

good performer end his show when he reach the top for example in mma GSP.. the problem with who you mentioned they don't know when to stop or maybe because it's their only income ...

They fought tough fights, that's how you become a legend.

I don't see how it is anything different in any other single person competitive sport. You win some, you lose some. You have good days and have bad days. If you're in the sport for long enough, you will eventually be matched with people that are better/younger/more technical than you. Does not mean you're not a legend. Legends prove themselves in adversities and overcoming challenges. Most of the people you listed did just that (other are considered legends simply because they were pioneers).

That said, the highs and lows are bigger if you're talking combat sports (possibility of KO, lots of trash talk etc).

Almost half of those guys are not even close to being an MMA legend

maybe like 2 guys.....and even then its arguable they are legends. i normaly dont disagree with you but i have to this time.

Please.

That is a solid list of MMA legends. They are not all GOAT material, but defenitely legends.

So including legends with less losses,MMA has over 40+ legends in total?

Over 40. Does this really feel right when you think about it?

I'd say being a legend is something more..... Special. Unique.

That being said,I exaggerated a lil bit when I said half of them are not legends. I have a problem with 7-8 of them lol

Although I agree with them being legends maybe other people just consider them pioneers
I get that.
I think there will be some unavoidable overlap though when talking about legends and pioneers though.
Isn't a legend basically something or someone great that people remember? Legend doesn't mean GOAT. People will remember Wanderlei's ferociousness, the strength of Shamrock, Cro Cop's lhk, and Hunts walk away KOs.

maybe like 2 guys.....and even then its arguable they are legends. i normaly dont disagree with you but i have to this time.

No prob. Forum is for discussing

'Legend' is subjective anyway

Mma is a new sport and it didnt pay well ... These guys were forced to take fights after their prime, which leads to a poor record ... For a lot of those fighters, mma was invented as they were adults , so they were learning while they were making a career out of it ... Guys now can practice their skill as amateurs, can be brought up slowly if they choose too, and we have seen with gsp, retire with good money so he doesnt have to fight just to make some cash or promote his fight school

I get that.
I think there will be some unavoidable overlap though when talking about legends and pioneers though.
Isn't a legend basically something or someone great that people remember? Legend doesn't mean GOAT. People will remember Wanderlei's ferociousness, the strength of Shamrock, Cro Cop's lhk, and Hunts walk away KOs.
Vitor blitz
Diaz cardio/volume punches
Cotoure dirty boxing
Anderson percision
Royce early jj
Bj crazy hawaiian

Country Breakfast went 45-9.

Different era. Those guys never fought under perfect circumstances like they do today.

It is because MMA legends were actual warriors and not play-it-safe-point-fighters. Most legends weren't so hung up on their records, just on their performance. I think most fought because they loved it. The big pay days are relatively new.

So very few managed to get out of the sport clean before the doors blew off.

Ken Shamrock 28-16
Randy Couture 19-11
Tito Ortiz 18-12
BJ Penn 16-10
Mark Coleman 16-10
Frank Mir 18-10
Mark Hunt 11-10
Kazushi Sakuraba 26-17
Kevin Randleman 17-16
Dan Henderson 31-14
Wanderlei Silva 35-12
Vitor Belfort 25-11
Chuck Liddell 21-8
Shogun Rua 23-10
Rampage Jackson 36-11
Big Nog 34-10
Cro Cop 31-11
Frank Shamrock 23-10
Pedro Rizzo 20-11
Maurice Smith 13-14
Mark Kerr 15-11
Gary Goodridge 23-22
Jens Pulver 27-19
Takanori Gomi 35-11
Don Frye 20-9

Those were the good old days when men were men. Now days, 95% of the roster pull out of fights unless they have 3 months notice.

Back