Ever had to rehab an injury?

JohnnyBuddha

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey, anyone here have a nagging injury that requires or has required (in the past) some rehab? Does anyone have any success stories of rehabbing a bad or recurring injury?

I have these winged scapula (my shoulder blades flare out at the back--my chest muscles are pulling my shoulders forward and the muscles in my upper back don't hold them in place like they should) and many injuries in my neck and shoulder seem to stem from them. I've been given exercises to do for them in the past but have regrettably never made a genuine effort to rehab them. I like the idea of having a somewhat normal neck/upper back/shoulders, etc., and I'm thinking about trying my damnedest to get into some routine. Any Chicken Soup for the Rehabbing Athlete's Soul stories? :icon_chee Any tips?

PS--posting this in Standup forum too. It doesn't really seem to fall in one specific subforum.

Press ups on a stability ball are supposed to really work Serratus anterior and majorly help winged scapula.

I try to rehab my slight ankle sprain but as soon as it starts feeling better twist it somehow...

I'm rehabbing a rotator cuff surgery. All I can say is take care of it now while it's not too bad. Don't wait till your arm is completely useless for several months. It sucks!

I'm rehabing a broken arm at the moment. I know how it feels to have a gimp arm as well..

Rehab is the biggest test of mental strenght I can think of. Instead of doing your normal cardio/training/lifting routines, you often get told to do these wierd movements that are closer to a old person's yoga class than real training. To stick with it and successfully rehab a recurring injury is what separates the truly committed.

I had to take about two years off from training properly due to a number of injuries. First was a maltracking kneecap which made walking hard. This took forever to diagnose and fix, but was soon followed by a shoulder injury from too much swimming with bad form. Gladly I'm back to full training now.

My advice is to get a GOOD doctor/physio and follow their exercises religiously, just like it's your own training program.

im 3 months into fixing a shoulder. It's just been in the last 2 weeks or so i would wake up with no pain in it. sucks to have to do rehab but it's better then not being able to do anything if you don't. I liked working with the giant rubber bands it was fun.

My rotator cuff was gone for what had to be a solid 4 months before i could even squat. The thing that made it finally start turning around was rehabing it with just small simple exercises.

Learn to love lifting weights, deadlifts, BOR and chinups should be 3 of your new best friends.

Rehab is the biggest test of mental strenght I can think of. Instead of doing your normal cardio/training/lifting routines, you often get told to do these wierd movements that are closer to a old person's yoga class than real training. To stick with it and successfully rehab a recurring injury is what separates the truly committed.

I had to take about two years off from training properly due to a number of injuries. First was a maltracking kneecap which made walking hard. This took forever to diagnose and fix, but was soon followed by a shoulder injury from too much swimming with bad form. Gladly I'm back to full training now.

My advice is to get a GOOD doctor/physio and follow their exercises religiously, just like it's your own training program.

Yeah, I keep expecting to read about myself in the idiot in the gym thread. I've been doing DB snatches, cleans, etc with my good side using 100 or 110# and then immediately following that with OHP using the 10 or 15# DBs.

My rotator cuff was gone for what had to be a solid 4 months before i could even squat. The thing that made it finally start turning around was rehabing it with just small simple exercises.

Learn to love lifting weights, deadlifts, BOR and chinups should be 3 of your new best friends.

It's been right at 4 months for me. (Since surgery that is. Injured one month exactly before that.) Did you start back pretty light? I've been aching to do some squats & at least feel like I'm really lifting but I'm still afraid for that shoulder.

Recovering from a bad shoulder seperation at the moment. If anyone has any rehab exercises they can share, I'd appreciate it :)

I had a seperated shoulder a while back that i succesfully rehabilitated. If anything it's more stable than my other shoulder these days. Throwers 10 exercises and pilates bands are your friends - plus lots of stretching. Took months to heal and had the odd niggling pain for months after too. Eventually came good.

My lower back on the other hand... i've been 'rehabbing' that on and off for over 2 years now, it aint ever getting better. At least thats what the doctors say. But i'm told i may be able to box, so my goal is to get it good enough to do that. If i can train without being crippled afterwards i'll be over the moon, if i can fight i'll be ecstatic. Fingers crossed there, cause i'm sick of this bloody injury.

a good website that has a ton of good rehab info on it is elitefts.com they a whole index of exercises and rehab stuff. they also have a place on there where you can ask some of their trainers questions. martin rooney answers questions on their site.

Thanks for the stories guys. I'm 29 now and this has been a problem for ages. I can empathize with the guys who have shoulder injuries; I played lots of baseball over the course of about 15 years and wore the hell out of my rotator cuff (my winged scapula definitely played a role in this).

I saw a good sports physiotherapist a while back and have exercises to do.

Gov said:

So true. It's this life lesson of putting long-term gain ahead of immediate gratification that's so hard to learn, but I guess it's a part of growing up and being responsible/wise. I'm going to do my best to stick with the exercises. I'll reply back in this in a few weeks from now.

yeah ive torn my MCL in my left elbow in high school wrestling, and the ACLs in both knees in college. ive rehabbed all of them back 100% from just staying dedicated to the rehab program and pushing myself. and i had a really good doctor and therapist.

right now im about 6-7 weeks into a rib injury. i dont know what is wrong, but i know its not broken. it might be cracked, separated, bruised, who knows. has anybody had to deal with a rib problem? what did you do to get better? i just started rolling and kickboxing with no body shots this week.

Back