Ever feel this way?

TheAth-ah-lete

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Showed up to BJJ class last night and as I was walking to the door another guy came walking in. He was only about 5'6", but had a HYOOGE neck and torso. Definitely a heavy lifter, as am I, but as soon as I saw him and noticed the brand new gi I kinda had this feeling of, "Oh I have to roll with this guy tonight." I just automatically assumed he'd be one of the guys to come in and spazz.

I was wanting to work some uncomfortable positions, so I had planned on giving up side control and my back. I played pretty loosely with the first guy who was also new. I'd never seen him before, but he wasn't that bad and kept his composure so I dropped most subs that I saw and just played with positions.

The round ended and sure enough I saw one of the higher belts talking to the big guy about going too hard. I said, "Hey you wanna go next." The guy who had just rolled with him said, "He's going hard." and kinda gave me the look about slowing him down. Usually I like to play a top game, but for some reason I felt like I needed to let this guy get on top and waste his energy in my guard and choke him out. The round started and he went WILD, I immediately got guard and started working to submit. I forgot all about playing with positions, I didn't want his ego to get inflated by even passing my guard, and I went for armbar, triangle, sweep, over and over until I would get one.

I thought it was funny that as soon as I saw him I could tell he was going to be bringing his ego, and I thought it even more funny that I had enough ego to think I had to put him in his place.lol :icon_chee So, anyone else ever feel like they have to regulate on the new "big guys"?

p.s. I was probably one of those guys when I started.ahahaha

I think its good once in a while to have someone with no skill and just raw strength to roll with bc it immitates a real life street situation. So as much as it bothers me if a new guy keeps acting like this I dont mind if he does it his first time in the gym.

You can not expect a noob to understand that BJJ is a slow game the first class he takes. Its a hard philosophy to get your head around at first.....so you really cant blame them. Testosterone takes over and your male ego just relies on strength bc skill isnt there.

So be nice to noobs even if they try too hard!

i've had the exact opposite happen on one occasion. some straight up ripped 215lb animal walked in wearing wrestling shoes and kneepads, rolled w/o his shirt on and rolled hard, but focused on learning and not spazzing. was pleasantly surprised.

I've been training BJJ now for 3 months. Rolling about 26 hours a week. The other day, a very aggressive white belt joined the class.

I got partnered up with him and BAM...he came at me with as much muscle as he could muster. So i pulled him into my guard until he started to gas, and began to launch sub after sub.

It was a great experience to see just how much i've learned. I think guys like this are indispensible because they show just how far you've come along in your BJJ journey.

I'm a smaller guy and even though I'm not great, I still like "regulating" on new guys. Except big wrestlers. I'll have to let the blue belts handle that.

I hadn't consciously realized how guys like that could be good, but I guess it does go to show something about my technique improvement. The only other time I rolled with a guy that inexperienced and strong was with my brother almost a year ago. He just went wild and i had the same mentality that I was going to "teach jiu jitsu" by winning off of my back.lol.

That time it took almost 4 straight minutes of trying to get him in my guard and hold him but he was just expoding out of everything, finally he got so tired he tried to quit and then I got him with a guillotine. I was pretty disappointed that I didn't tap him in less than a minute like I had bragged about.

This guy felt every bit as strong but I tapped him a couple times in about 3 minutes.

i've had the exact opposite happen on one occasion. some straight up ripped 215lb animal walked in wearing wrestling shoes and kneepads, rolled w/o his shirt on and rolled hard, but focused on learning and not spazzing. was pleasantly surprised.

Same here. I rolled with a new guy in No-Gi last week (200+ lbs, solid as an ox) and I was expecting him to come charging out trying to smash me, but he was actually calm and trying to work technique.

Rolling about 26 hours a week.

???????

Even if you were just taking BJJ classes for that amount of time, it would be pretty incredible, that's over 4 hours a day, 6 days a week. But rolling for that long? What, do you hop between 5 gyms?

???????

Even if you were just taking BJJ classes for that amount of time, it would be pretty incredible, that's over 4 hours a day, 6 days a week. But rolling for that long? What, do you hop between 5 gyms?

Yeah, what is going on with that? Haha.

i go around 20 hours a week sometimes, and thats a full load...

???????

I'm part of a fight team, and it's mandatory to go 5 days a week. I attend 2-3 classes a day with the majority being gi and nogi grappling, the remainder is muay thai and boxing. My only off day is Sunday.

it's a very demanding schedule which is why my body is constantly banged up. I'm actually getting ready for my first local Gi tournament this Sunday (there goes my day off..sigh). I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully i can get some video up of my matches.

I think it's funnier when a new guy comes in with a brand new gi and you think "cool another body to roll with and teach." Only to find out after he subs you 5 times in 3 minutes that he's been training for years, just never got ranked.

I'm a smaller guy and even though I'm not great, I still like "regulating" on new guys. Except big wrestlers. I'll have to let the blue belts handle that.

Yeah theres this guy whose like 250 and fuck, i stayed away from him.

a lineman from my high school's football team came in to my gym and bowled me over, and I secured an arm triangle from the bottom, and me proceeded to repeatedly slam me into the mat to try to loosen my grip. didn't work. =]

when i roll with spazzes, I automatically go into triangle mode for some reason, and never want to sweep.

I'm part of a fight team, and it's mandatory to go 5 days a week. I attend 2-3 classes a day with the majority being gi and nogi grappling, the remainder is muay thai and boxing. My only off day is Sunday.

it's a very demanding schedule which is why my body is constantly banged up. I'm actually getting ready for my first local Gi tournament this Sunday (there goes my day off..sigh). I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully i can get some video up of my matches.

Lucky guy. And with only 3 months BJJ experience? Where do I sign up? :)

Back