Social Even as a conservative I respect Slavoj Zizek's ideologies in certain aspects

Wow. Zizek dismantled Peterson's nonsense and exposes him for the fraud he always was. Peterson has made a career filling white guy's ears on the horrors of Marxism and evils of communism but it's clear early on that Peterson is a fellow traveler in philosophy/politcial theory and has had never read a anything ever written by Marx himself prior to the debate.

Hey man, let me stop you right there, that's not true.

He skimmed the Communist Manifesto. All 20 pages of it. Surely you don't think you're required to read more than that in order to weave a narrative about Marxism being transformed into a shadowy doctrine bent on destroying western civilization?

If you drop your ideology, respect for your fellow man flows naturally

This is why Zizek loves talking about the shortcomings of ideology. All ideologies all flawed including the Hegelian interpretation of Marx but my goodness Peterson doesn't even know enough to even come up with a legitimate critique of ANY ideology including his own.

It's so odd to me seeing some conservatives express respect for Zizek after the JP debate, when he really is about the closest thing to JP's "postmodern-neomarxist" boogeyman that exists in reality. Y'all do realize that he's been most people's introduction to critical theory for like, the last 20 years, right?

Of course, the explanation to this is simple: he's the only leftist academic they've actually listened to or read. Most conservatives (and quite a few liberals TBH) don't even know the difference between leftists and liberals, so I can see where this would be mind-blowing to them.

Zizek makes up for his muddiness with witty cultural insights and he has the unique position of actually living in a society that transitioned to an actual communist system of government that didn't restrict freedom or practice authoritarian government. He was denied tenure in his first foray in academia because his masters thesis was considered "not Marx enough". He speaks in easy to relate to analogies and rejects most liberal ideas like hyper inclusiveness and political correctness. There is some cultural perspective overlap with western conservatives but politically there is no overlap.

For anyone who wants a crystal clear explanation of what Marxism actually is this video interview with Dr. Richard Wolff is vital.

Back