Social Even as a conservative I respect Slavoj Zizek's ideologies in certain aspects

BoxingFan653

C-137
@Brown
Reaction score
Been listening to him lately and I appreciate the holistic picture he paints about the refugee crisis, Islam etc. His answers seem to align much more with PC police are the death of the left.

What I dont understand is why some of the people here who like him so much are still not listening to what he's saying bout hypersensitivity as it pertains to discussing how Islam and the West cannot coexist. He also underlines that the idea that Islam is in the mess they are in is not only because of the West but also they don't believe in human rights.

Am I missing something here? This guy seems more aligned with my ideologies than lefties. Hopefully this guy catches on more because I respect any one listening to some one like this way more than any moron listening to the view or Rachel Maddow.

I think your ideologies and the “leftist” ideologies are just not as different as you think they are. I think people tend to make up or exaggerate what people on the left think about these issues. Or they choose the craziest people in which to base their opinion.

I think your ideologies and the “leftist” ideologies are just not as different as you think they are. I think people tend to make up or exaggerate what people on the left think about these issues. Or they choose the craziest people in which to base their opinion.

Stupid liberal everyone knows lefties want completely open borders and free everything for everyone.

Stupid liberal everyone knows lefties want completely open borders and free everything for everyone.

I don't think all lefties want that I just think when AOC and Omar are the loudest in your party and they support Islam it's not a good look. Honestly, which famous lefty speaks out against this stuff?

BS aside...Slavoj is impressive

This is what happens when politics and social ideas are hijacked by each other.

Religious and cultural incompatibilities should not be "tied" to a political dogma. Just like the climate issue, marriage, sex, gender, identity.

They are social issues. One does not have to hold a specific belief on them based on being left/right, conservative/liberal.

I don't think all lefties want that I just think when AOC and Omar are the loudest in your party and they support Islam it's not a good look. Honestly, which famous lefty speaks out against this stuff?

This is where the miscommunication starts.

Supporting religious freedom is not the same as supporting the tenets of a specific religion. Supporting your friends and neighbors who come from a specific background is not the same as offering blind support for all others who come from that background.

In many cases, people misconstrue (often intentionally it seems) the messages sent about Islam, immigration, etc. I’ve seen it repeatedly on this forum, and I’ve seen it extended well into the realm of cable news.

This is where the miscommunication starts.

Supporting religious freedom is not the same as supporting the tenets of a specific religion. Supporting your friends and neighbors who come from a specific background is not the same as offering blind support for all others who come from that background.

In many cases, people misconstrue (often intentionally it seems) the messages sent about Islam, immigration, etc. I’ve seen it repeatedly on this forum, and I’ve seen it extended well into the realm of cable news.

Stupid liberal you need to learn to reason only in absolutes then it makes sense.

Building off of @nac386 's response, maybe you can explain what you mean when you state that AOC and Omar "support Islam".

It's not a secret that the extreme-left and the extreme-right are two faces of the same coin.
When he named Soros a humanitarian he lost me though.

Last edited:
And if you want an even better take on refugees listen to Yanis Varoufakis.

Also, encase you werent aware, he debated Dr Peterson recently. The audio of the debate isnt great and the audience is a major pain with their constant clapping but still, its a long deep debate with "respectable" disagreement which we need more of.

Really ? Does that seriously require further explanation? Cmon dude
Yes, it does. What do you mean by support? Do they "support Islam" in ways that they would "support Buddhism" or "support Hinduism", as in support an individual's freedom of religion? Or do they "support Islam" the way Evangelicals "support Christianity", as in they try to enact legislation on social/cultural issues based on religious positions in a way that clashes with The Establishment Clause in the Constitution?

Been listening to him lately and I appreciate the holistic picture he paints about the refugee crisis, Islam etc. His answers seem to align much more with PC police are the death of the left.

What I dont understand is why some of the people here who like him so much are still not listening to what he's saying bout hypersensitivity as it pertains to discussing how Islam and the West cannot coexist. He also underlines that the idea that Islam is in the mess they are in is not only because of the West but also they don't believe in human rights.

Am I missing something here? This guy seems more aligned with my ideologies than lefties. Hopefully this guy catches on more because I respect any one listening to some one like this way more than any moron listening to the view or Rachel Maddow.

Zizek doesn't say that the West and Islam cannot coexist, he just says that there are legitimate cultural tensions that should be openly and honestly discussed. But he also says that regardless of these cultural tensions the West still has a humanitarian duty to take in Muslim refugees, partly because the West is in part responsible for the instability in the Muslim world. He just doesn't agree with romanticizing refugees either. Which is a wise take since it sets up leftists for embarrassment when right wingers inevitably point to this or that refugee who committed this or that heinous crime since any population is going to have a non-zero number of bad actors.

It's so odd to me seeing some conservatives express respect for Zizek after the JP debate, when he really is about the closest thing to JP's "postmodern-neomarxist" boogeyman that exists in reality. Y'all do realize that he's been most people's introduction to critical theory for like, the last 20 years, right?

Of course, the explanation to this is simple: he's the only leftist academic they've actually listened to or read. Most conservatives (and quite a few liberals TBH) don't even know the difference between leftists and liberals, so I can see where this would be mind-blowing to them.

Building off of @nac386 's response, maybe you can explain what you mean when you state that AOC and Omar "support Islam".
Omar is a tirelessly advocate of lgbt rights, but she wears a head scarf and doesn’t want to feed Palestinian children to dogs, so obviously radical Islam.

Last edited:
The normal lefties aren't driving the bus the crazies have their hands on the wheel and the pedal to the metal

This is what happens when politics and social ideas are hijacked by each other.

Religious and cultural incompatibilities should not be "tied" to a political dogma. Just like the climate issue, marriage, sex, gender, identity.

They are social issues. One does not have to hold a specific belief on them based on being left/right, conservative/liberal.
Holy shit, I think we agree on something. <GinJuice>

Back