Etiquette question, BJJ

wallsac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a question in regards to an etiquette issue when rolling BJJ. I suffered a back injury 3 1/2 weeks ago and am going to be back at class for the first time tomorrow. When rolling is it normal or acceptable to ask an opponent to not use a certain technique? For example, I received my injury by being stacked very forcefully while getting my guard passed (insult to injury!). How will it be received to ask an opponent to not do any stacking before we roll (if he's passing my guard or caught in a triangle, etc)

I really want to get back to training. And every other range of motion is perfect (except extreme flexion- stack). So, is this normal, acceptable, etc. What do you think?

Thanks

Say " Dude my back is sore, can you avoid hyperextending me when you have my back?" He'll proly say, "Sure" and slap hands and roll. If not, he's a tool.

that sounds foolish to me. if you aren't up to roll 100% then you shouldn't be rolling. just do technique.

There are a million things that can happen that'll put pressure on your back, not just stacking. Odds are you'll get hurt.

That should be totally acceptable. The guys you roll with should be your friends and you should be helping eachother grow in your ability. If by chance the guy says "no" or stacks you anyways you know not to roll with him even when you are better because he is a ----- :D

Thanks guys for the input. I'm going to check w/ my teacher as well, but thought I'd get some quick input.

Good luck in your training...

I'd say warn him about your bad back and ask him to try to avoid stacking. But ultimately it's your responsible to protect yourself so tap if you get in a bad position (stacking) and dont go for triangles.

that sounds foolish to me. if you aren't up to roll 100% then you shouldn't be rolling. just do technique.

There are a million things that can happen that'll put pressure on your back, not just stacking. Odds are you'll get hurt.

LOL. I don't think I have been 100% since I did my first class.

OP, definately no problem with telling dudes not to do shit. If they have a problem, roll with someone else.

Yeah, I don't think that's a problem at all, especially with guys you roll with regularly. I have a disk problem in my neck, and when it's acting up, I call for an automatic tap rule: if you lock up a guillotine or crucifix, I tap pre-emptively, so please don't crank it on me.

At the same time, I'd say you'd be a tool to throw up arm bars and triangles continuously after taking away one of your opponent's basic counters.

well, consider that you'll probably be in guard at some point in time, and someone will probably want to pass that.

would you pitch with a sore elbow?

I had an injury for a while. All my opponents i told about it. Ultimatly though, my saftey was and is my responsibility. I will tap if i feel unsafe, even if the move isnt a submission. and I have to use discretion when choosing my rolling partners ( i.e I avoid new guys who might be spazzes and unwittlying hurt me)

Ordinarily I'd say go ahead and roll, but problems with the neck and back are totally different. There's just too many possibilities for what could go wrong.

For example, I was rolling real light with a guy who told me he was having neck pains, so I said all right I've been wanting to drill arm lock escapes, and he ended up bridging too hard onto his neck trying to keep my arm straight and ended up hurting himself.

The point is, going light on someone's back is kind of a broad area to go light on. Maybe you should just roll some armlock or triangle drills or some sweeps or something instead of sparring.

This seems strange to me. Personally I roll with friends and workout buddies. I wouldn't hesitate to ask someone not to do one thing or another.

Definitely nothing wrong with that. And really should be common practice as anyone who trains regularly will get injured at some point but not want to have to give up the sparring portion of class.

What you should do is get with guys who aren't ego driven and go 50% or positional roll. In other words let each other execute techniques, but no submissions. So he does a triangle set up, you do an escape to side control. He recomposes guard and sweeps. You do side control escape. One move each, taking turns with minimal resistance. It is a real controlled and fun way to roll that will get you both to see openings and practice moves you may not go for in a full on roll. Plus it's safer for you when your injured to minimize "accidents" from happening. Here is a great example of what I'm talking about; YouTube - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - CHAMPIONS - Monteirao and De La Riva

I'd say warn him about your bad back and ask him to try to avoid stacking. But ultimately it's your responsible to protect yourself so tap if you get in a bad position (stacking) and dont go for triangles.

yeah, coz stacking is the best triangle defense... i would think it would be more prudent to say don't go for armbars.

i have no problem with anyone asking me to avoid certain positions due to injury.
its common courtesy however for the person asking for the concession not to exploit his request by blatantly going for positions that would easily be countered by the use of the technique they originally asked to avoid.

Yes, but make sure that person is not going to a tourny, he won't want to train.

I don't know man, I wouldn't over exert yourself when you have back problems. Most other injuries you can just tough it out, but when it comes to your back you really should take it easy until it heals. That way, you aren't risking getting re-injured and being out of the game even longer.

From an ettiquite perspective, this should be totally fine. This happens all the time, most typically when somebody tweaks a knee or an elbow in an early sparring round and asks later partners to take care with it.

From a practical perspective, a couple of suggestions:

1) Roll for position. If you're not attempting subs, that will go a long way toward keeping egos out your sparring and keep it flowing and smooth.

2) Roll with higher belts to the extent possible. Again, the skill mismatch helps keep egos out of it, and any purple or better will know four or five options from every position that don't involve stacking you up.

3) If you start to get stacked up, give up the pass or tap. Maybe this is the BJJ gods way of telling you to work on your side control escapes :D

Good luck and feel better.

I have to disagree with the crowd here. If you have back pains and neck pains do all the normal warm up's and techniques but dont roll with anyone.

Why risk it?

Back