Escaping Kesa Gatame???

codemonkey76

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
OK, i know about 5 techniques to escape kesa gatame, problem is i suck at them, but i don't know what i am doing wrong... here are the vids of me attempting them (i succeed once, but i think my tech is still really bad)

please help!!!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKK6L22EC7g"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKK6L22EC7g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCNE3sGNcEs"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCNE3sGNcEs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Yeah that far side leg reach over escape that Ryan Hall does soo fluidly is hard as hell. hard to have the flexibility to get it.

From Mikey

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/46vP2be6b4M&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/46vP2be6b4M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6NI1P9wU9Q&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6NI1P9wU9Q&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

shrimp into it, get your knee under them, and pull guard.

or armbar.

but shrimp. shrimp, shrimpy, shrimp shrimp shrimp.

The escape where you catch your opponent's head between your legs, which you tried in the second vid, will never work if you opponent is doing the hold properly, and keeping his head down and close to yours. I wouldn't bother trying that one at all, until and unless your opponent presents you with the opportunity.

Also, when you lock your hands around your opponent as a preface to a bridge and roll, try getting your hands a little lower, and digging into your opponent's lower ribs with the side of your hand. It's very uncomfortable for the person holding kesa, and can often cause them to shift their weight, presenting options for escape. Experiment with the right place to put your hands; when you have your hands in the right place, your partner will let you know.

OK, i know about 5 techniques to escape kesa gatame, problem is i suck at them, but i don't know what i am doing wrong... here are the vids of me attempting them (i succeed once, but i think my tech is still really bad)

please help!!!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKK6L22EC7g"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKK6L22EC7g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

QUOTE]

I had a bitch of a time pulling this one off also. I can hit it 50 percent of the time now. But I had to spend quite a bit of time just practicing the movement of bumping up hard over my bottom shoulder and then rolling away towards my top without letting my hips drop. My instructor watched me do it and that was his suggestion to me was that my hips were dropping after teh intial bumo before I would try to roll them. Once I got that motion down I started to have more success with it.

The escape where you catch your opponent's head between your legs, which you tried in the second vid, will never work if you opponent is doing the hold properly, and keeping his head down and close to yours. I wouldn't bother trying that one at all, until and unless your opponent presents you with the opportunity.

Also, when you lock your hands around your opponent as a preface to a bridge and roll, try getting your hands a little lower, and digging into your opponent's lower ribs with the side of your hand. It's very uncomfortable for the person holding kesa, and can often cause them to shift their weight, presenting options for escape. Experiment with the right place to put your hands; when you have your hands in the right place, your partner will let you know.

This is good advice. Digging your hands into the lower rib will cause your opponent major discomfort and will force him to alter his hold giving you the room to escape.

Also in the first video you posted it looked like you just trying to bridge him off instead of using the bridge to roll him over. The third bridge attempt that you did shows what I am talking about. I' can't really explain well but it looked like you were pushing him to your right and all he had to do was use his hand to post and stop. When you bridge try to roll him over to your left. Good job though and don't worry, kesa gatame is a bitch to escape from.

please help!!!

Everybody hates a good tight kesa gatame, I'm with you on that. Here are a couple details that were pointed out to me that I feel helps the escapes be a little more effective.

On the bridge and over, do your initial bridge as high as you can. Try to get his hip off the mat, then slide your body under his hip. That way his weight is on you and not the floor, which will make the roll over easier. Marcelo also talks about doing this on his volume 3 escape disc.

For the snatch the leg escape, try walking your legs back a little to get space, then kind of "run" toward his leg. It will give you a little momentum and may help get your top leg over top his to pull it back. If he keeps walking his legs away from you, stick your foot in his belt and push him away.

First and foremost get your right elbow, based on the videos, to the mat and in good position. If your opponent is able to hold it is going to be tough going. You can do this by kicking your legs high, like you were when you were trying to catch his head, but instead of just letting them fall to the ground kick them out away from your body and twist your right hip down to the mat. This will create a lot of torque and make it hard for your opponent to hold on to your arm and now you are back in good position to push with your elbows.

Also, in the second video you could have gotten on your knees. Do the tried and trusted bottom leg under, thread the needle thing. Bring your right leg under your left leg and that will put you on your knees. From there you should be able to escape or take your opponents back.

And of course, it must be stated, that no one is just going to sit there. They are going to be switching their hips to keep you guessing so you must keep them guessing too.

Hope this makes sense.

From the video :

Try to control his left wrist and dig your right elbow in and try to dig your knee in too. From there just circle and escape (easier to tell than to do ;-) )

The guys had a nice sub on you. When the guy close his his arm togehter like you do, he can go under your elbow and crank it up. So try to control his left wrist first.

The two escapes in the vids will work if thee hold is not tight. The guys butt is on the ground (first mistake) and you have to put your arm on the back of the head, not on the back of the neck(second mistake). You have a lote more pressure on the neck when you put your arm in the back of the head instead of the back of the neck.

It realy suck to be there lol!

Not that I spend a lot of time in Kesa, but when I do, I like the bridging escape.

When you do the bridging escape, you are trying to pull him onto you with your arms and bridge too much. You have to use it in combination, usually with elbow escape. Then you *ram* your hips under the guy, like a spoon, once the space is opened up. Then pull him over.

This is sometimes called a "hip run," and can be used in many situations. You are trying to run your hips under the guy. Create a little space, and literally you are runnin' for daylight under the guy, until you stop, then you bridge and twist.

5 techniques? thats a myth. Everyone knows the kesa is inescapable ,you might as well tap once you're in it, resistance is futile.

I roll regularly with a high ranking judoka and his Kesa is formidable.

I find that I have to start my escape as I realize he is transitioning to it.

What I mean is that I start to shrimp my hips out and create space as he is trying to lock into it. Then I wrap my arms around his waist, push him forward, and as he leans into me, I use his momentum to roll him over me.

If he manages to sink in his Kesa, and get his weight down into my chest before I create space, it's all over.

You've got to bridge more. It seems like you're just trying to pull him across your chest. Bridge hard and make a good arc with your back and neck. This way, when you pull him across you, his weight isn't going directly over your chest, but more around/across the pivot which is your head.

This is good advice. Digging your hands into the lower rib will cause your opponent major discomfort and will force him to alter his hold giving you the room to escape.

Also in the first video you posted it looked like you just trying to bridge him off instead of using the bridge to roll him over. The third bridge attempt that you did shows what I am talking about. I' can't really explain well but it looked like you were pushing him to your right and all he had to do was use his hand to post and stop. When you bridge try to roll him over to your left. Good job though and don't worry, kesa gatame is a bitch to escape from.

I was trying to bridge over my right shoulder so i could get the space to insert my leg under his hips, then roll him to the left

Everybody hates a good tight kesa gatame, I'm with you on that. Here are a couple details that were pointed out to me that I feel helps the escapes be a little more effective.

On the bridge and over, do your initial bridge as high as you can. Try to get his hip off the mat, then slide your body under his hip. That way his weight is on you and not the floor, which will make the roll over easier. Marcelo also talks about doing this on his volume 3 escape disc.

For the snatch the leg escape, try walking your legs back a little to get space, then kind of "run" toward his leg. It will give you a little momentum and may help get your top leg over top his to pull it back. If he keeps walking his legs away from you, stick your foot in his belt and push him away.

that is interesting, i never thought of pushing his belt with my foot, that might create enough space to get the pendulum sit up escape to work, i will have to try that

First and foremost get your right elbow, based on the videos, to the mat and in good position. If your opponent is able to hold it is going to be tough going. You can do this by kicking your legs high, like you were when you were trying to catch his head, but instead of just letting them fall to the ground kick them out away from your body and twist your right hip down to the mat. This will create a lot of torque and make it hard for your opponent to hold on to your arm and now you are back in good position to push with your elbows.

Also, in the second video you could have gotten on your knees. Do the tried and trusted bottom leg under, thread the needle thing. Bring your right leg under your left leg and that will put you on your knees. From there you should be able to escape or take your opponents back.

And of course, it must be stated, that no one is just going to sit there. They are going to be switching their hips to keep you guessing so you must keep them guessing too.

Hope this makes sense.

Both the guys at my gym who normally hold me down with this are good at not letting my elbow get to the floor, which makes getting to my knees impossible, they keep the weight on that shoulder as well, so even if i get them to let go of my arm and post their arm out, i still can't suck my elbow down to the floor.

Back