Escaping Kesa Gatame???

it is in a garage type of building (was refurbed from a former mechanics shed) but not like a garage at someones house.

Its not the prettiest gym in the world but a mat is mat when you get down to it, and thats why we pay <$100 per month for quality instruction from a genuine Brazilian BB with a NAGA title and a world top 10 ranking in MMA, unlike plenty of guys who pay >$150 pm for lessons from a purple.

Having said that our instructor keeps it very clean, good mats and excellent variety of skilled guys to train with.

In the first video - when you brigde and roll on the other side, you must roll over your shoulders.
Bridge and roll over your shoulders without putting your hips on the ground, thats way you cant roll him over, because when you put your hips on the ground its over, you lose your leverage.

it is in a garage type of building (was refurbed from a former mechanics shed) but not like a garage at someones house.

Its not the prettiest gym in the world but a mat is mat when you get down to it, and thats why we pay <$100 per month for quality instruction from a genuine Brazilian BB with a NAGA title and a world top 10 ranking in MMA, unlike plenty of guys who pay >$150 pm for lessons from a purple.

Having said that our instructor keeps it very clean, good mats and excellent variety of skilled guys to train with.

Top 10 MMA?

yep, check the sherdog rankings-

#7 135lbs- Daniel Lima

In the first video - when you brigde and roll on the other side, you must roll over your shoulders.
Bridge and roll over your shoulders without putting your hips on the ground, thats way you cant roll him over, because when you put your hips on the ground its over, you lose your leverage.

i thought the initial bridge was to create the space to get your hips under his hips, to make him light???

my fees are only $80 per 4 weeks, which is cheap as chips (twice a week)

hey alphamale, check my vids and see what i am doing wrong

I'm glad you posted this. It was the inspiration for what we worked on in our beginner No-Gi class tonight. We did the bump-n-roll reversal, the one where you post on the throat to bridge and get your bottom knee in for the armbar, and bridging to pummel in for the under-hook to take the back.

Hey CM,

the vids are blocked at work but ill check em tonight and we can go over it next time we're at 'the shed'.

Had a good training yesterday with just Daniel and a Brown Belt, i've got an epic bruise on my bicep from a bicep crusher i wasn't expecting. good times.

free privates FTW

The way I do the bridge and roll, imagine it like this. You have a GIANT stone ball sitting next to you (your opponent). You won't bridge it OVER your body, as that's impossible, You use your bridge to move it AROUND you. If my opponent's headlocking me with his right arm, I bridge HARD initially over my right shoulder. Then, without ever dropping my bridge back down, I shift my angle so I'm bridging over my head, then so I'm bridging over my left shoulder. If you do it this way and your opponent doesn't post with something, he will roll around and over you. Ideally for him, his leg that's under your shoulder will be his post, but if he doesn't have it kicked out far enough (or if your bridge is just too powerful), he'll have to use his non-headlocking hand to post. When he does that and stops your bridge and roll, you can transition to another escape, like coming to your knees or taking his back.

The key to escaping a good kesa gatame is to work escapes, and as your opponent shifts there weight, you move to another escape to take advantage of the weaknesses that he leaves open from countering your last escape.

From what I can see in both vids is he is leaning forward quite a bit
my.php
. What you want to do in that situation is to bridge over the shoulder that he is holding down on, and push his shoulder with your free hand. This will get him into a weaker position, and allow you to get to you knees, and out of the kesa.

The way I do the bridge and roll, imagine it like this. You have a GIANT stone ball sitting next to you (your opponent). You won't bridge it OVER your body, as that's impossible, You use your bridge to move it AROUND you. If my opponent's headlocking me with his right arm, I bridge HARD initially over my right shoulder. Then, without ever dropping my bridge back down, I shift my angle so I'm bridging over my head, then so I'm bridging over my left shoulder. If you do it this way and your opponent doesn't post with something, he will roll around and over you. Ideally for him, his leg that's under your shoulder will be his post, but if he doesn't have it kicked out far enough (or if your bridge is just too powerful), he'll have to use his non-headlocking hand to post. When he does that and stops your bridge and roll, you can transition to another escape, like coming to your knees or taking his back.
Yes, its a better explanation then mine. thats what I wanted to say

First and foremost get your right elbow, based on the videos, to the mat and in good position. If your opponent is able to hold it is going to be tough going. You can do this by kicking your legs high, like you were when you were trying to catch his head, but instead of just letting them fall to the ground kick them out away from your body and twist your right hip down to the mat. This will create a lot of torque and make it hard for your opponent to hold on to your arm and now you are back in good position to push with your elbows.

Also, in the second video you could have gotten on your knees. Do the tried and trusted bottom leg under, thread the needle thing. Bring your right leg under your left leg and that will put you on your knees. From there you should be able to escape or take your opponents back.

And of course, it must be stated, that no one is just going to sit there. They are going to be switching their hips to keep you guessing so you must keep them guessing too.

Hope this makes sense.

+1
I notice when you attempt a bridge your opponent would post for balance. That is prime time to jerk your trapped elbow toward the mat. As you gain some control back of your arm the bottom leg under would be there forcing him to let go of the hold since now your arm is nearly free and he would be giving you his back.

I saw this move available to you in the 1st and 2nd vid.

In the 1st video. Looks like you need a higher bridge and go over your shoulder at the top on the bridge. I have lots of success with this escape. The guy also looks alot bigger than you so it might just not be possible. I have successfully done it to guys that are 70lbs more than me. I have also got the same guys halfway there and pulled them straight into mount.

this threads highlights the differences with the approach to ground game in judo vs BJJ

I wouldn't say that I got my technical knowledge thru drilling or isntruction jsut experience, even if the coaches have demosntrated proper technique you are let out to the wolves pretty early

It would require some hard thinking from my side to break down waht I do on top or bottom

general guidelines

on top: personally I like to neck crank abit, not for atap just for discomfort,

and circle towards to his so he doesn

Back