Erick Silva's gas tank is embarassing.. He should've wrecked Brown.

Erick Silva has ONE weakness.. His gas tank. It's unbelievable that some professionals gas as quickly as they do. If Erick Silva had a gas tank, he would be undefeated. He gassed against Fitch and lost the deciding round, he was killing Dong Hyun Kim until he gassed and couldnt even hold his hands up, and he gassed against Brown in the 1st freakin round.

Brown is exciting as hell but he would get wrecked by any of the elite WW's. It sucks that Erick Silva can't patch up his one hole, which would make him elite. He had serious champion potential.

Can't say I disagree with any of this.

Erick Silva has ONE weakness.. His gas tank. It's unbelievable that some professionals gas as quickly as they do. If Erick Silva had a gas tank, he would be undefeated. He gassed against Fitch and lost the deciding round, he was killing Dong Hyun Kim until he gassed and couldnt even hold his hands up, and he gassed against Brown in the 1st freakin round.

Brown is exciting as hell but he would get wrecked by any of the elite WW's. It sucks that Erick Silva can't patch up his one hole, which would make him elite. He had serious champion potential.

Well

No he should not have wrecked Brown. You'd think it'd be clear to people at this point that Erick Silva is an "action fighter". He's fun to watch but nothing in the contention discussion. Then again Matt Brown was in the very same place a couple years ago. He needs to make some major changes.

It's a pretty big weakness and I don't think it's something that he can train to improve. Erick Silva has horrible fight IQ and he doesn't know how to pace himself. Seeing him psyche himself up by smashing his face over and over on the way to the Octagon gave me a feeling he was going to gas quickly. The dude doesn't stay calm and all, which results in spectacular quick finishes or 2nd pr 3rd round TKO losses..

It's a pretty big weakness and I don't think it's something that he can train to improve. Erick Silva has horrible fight IQ and he doesn't know how to pace himself. Seeing him psyche himself up by smashing his face over and over on the way to the Octagon gave me a feeling he was going to gas quickly. The dude doesn't stay calm and all, which results in spectacular quick finishes or 2nd pr 3rd round TKO losses..

Hit the nail right on the head with this.

The credit should go to Brown more than Silva deserves criticism.

The one thing Brown is elite at is how much damage he does when an opponent covers up. Few if any have ever done it better. Jack Slack talks in his recent article at Brown's skills at corralling his prey using his left hook and right kick. That is nice but for me the impressive thing is what he does when his opponent is planted in place and even more so when he is against the cage.

He calmly throws combination to areas that are actually undefended with the intention to hurt, as opposed to guys who throw "learned" number combinations not really considering what is actually undefended at the time. He also uses the short range elbows very well a la Jon Jones, especially the one that comes through the guard. He likes to use that one when the guy is turtling because an elbow like that will ring your head even with your guard up.

Silva was just not able to escape the punishment and that's why his cardio looked so bad. There's no easy outs of that spiderweb but Silva needed to either be tied up or push off somehow to create space. You can turtle up against a lot of UFC fighters and get away with it but Brown is the LAST guy you want to do that with.

I don't think it was so much he gassed. It think people get too carried away with that term and use it anytime someone doesn't look fresh.

I think he tried extremely hard to sink the RNC for almost 2 minutes straight. You could be in the best shape in the UFC, and you ARE doing to need a little bit of time to recover from that. It just so happens Brown gave him absolutely no time to recover and started handing out a severe, continuous beating for the rest of the round which wore Silva down.

Agree with TS 100%. And everyone keeps saying he can improve but at this point if it's still so bad I really doubt he could improve it that much more. This dude was completely gassed by the 2nd round.

All this

When you almost finish a guy and try hard for a choke and don't get it it tires you out just from the energy used but also from the adrenaline dump. Then getting cut open with dozens of punches and elbows in a row tends to let a bit more air out of the balloon. And Silva's style is a risky go-for-broke style where he is putting everything into his shots.

Personally I think it was the best game-plan. He wasn't going to outlast Brown no matter what he did. The longer the fight went, the more it would be to Brown's advantage. And credit Brown for making fighters have to choose that strategy because they know his high volume, high-pressure, high gas-tank ability does not bode well for them later in fights unless they can match it. Silva damn near pulled it off early. It was a good try. But when Brown worked his way back to his feet and started landing punches I knew it would continue to get worse and worse for Silva. It's not that Silva has a shit gas-tank. It is just Brown has one of the best and he doesn't stop moving forward. You gotta get to him early normally or have the ability to just grind him out forever on the ground

I actually agree with you, his best chance was to try and take him out early, but he should tried with strikes instead of the rnc

Sadly most people are ignoring this fact. Silva isn't some young prospect, he is almost 30 and he has been fighting for almost a decade. Even with all of his experience he still has glaring holes in his game. He is good, but his strength is his ability to finish his opponenets quickly, and that means he runs a very chance of gassing himself out trying to finish. He's another one round wonder who has made a career beating less than stellar competition, and there is nothing wrong with that, but the people who keep bringing up his potential need a reality check. I also guarantee that if he starts gameplanning and fighting safe so he can actualy last 3 rounds he will lose at least half of his current fanbase.

The way people around here overrate his skill set is laughable, if he were that good it would have happened already for him.

Getting the shit beat out of you will make anyone look gassed. That's called damage, and Matt Brown does not let off once he starts landing. Silva had no time to try to circle or get any distance from Brown to try to regain his wits.

Getting the shit beat out of you will make anyone look gassed. That's called damage, and Matt Brown does not let off once he starts landing. Silva had no time to try to circle or get any distance from Brown to try to regain his wits.

Except he gassed BEFORE he got his ass kicked.

It was a combo of him trying to sink the RNC and then taking a whooping the last minute or so of the 1st. When guys start getting their bell rung taking elbows, punches and knees to the head it can take a lot out of a person. It doesn't matter how many times you hit a tire with a sledgehammer in training camp.

I thought it so, until I swallowed my pride and opened my eyes.

I love ES. I Am a fan of his style and LOVE to see him fight... in the first round.

But more than the gas tank, the thing that makes me think that no, he will never be elite is simple: he doesn't have that Fight IQ.

Heck, Silva dropped Brown with a body shot.
Then again.
then again on second round, he hit him there, and Brown crumbled.

but Silva NEVER capitalized on it!
Silva was dead, but shooting for Brown's head. Why not use his last remains of Oxygen attacking what hurt Brown?

But no. Nothing!

Sorry.
Silva needs a gas tank, for sure!
But he also needs to use his brain. And he might have been oxygen-deprived, but capitalizing on what is working is paramount if he wants to be an elite fighter.

Back