Rewatch Erceg beat Pantoja

Even Erceg’s corner knew he was possibly down 3-0, if you want to be generous it was 2-2 heading into the 5th and we all know what happened next.
Or maybe they are just good coaches trying to instill urgency in their fighter rather than telling him he's up and letting him coast.

3-2 Pantoja was what I had it, judges got it totally correct, good decision.

Rd 3 was a 50 50 rd. Rd 1 n 2 were clearly Pants IMO . 4 was Erceg 5 was Erceg till he went brain dead.

Yeah makes sense. I wonder why Pantoja’s corner said the same thing.
Different Fighters are coached differently.

remember when ronda got her ass kicked in round one by holm? and her coach tells her shes doing good and she's frustrating holm?

Coach probably knows ronda cant handle critique from her corner so she needs sweet nothings.

It was a good, close, fight. A case could be made for either. I don't get this new mentality where a poster thinks "Fighter A" losing a close fight always means "robbery."

If he had tried the dumbest take down I seen with 2 min left on rd 5 he wins. There no way Erceg won rds 2 thru 5. Pants had to much control time not to win at least 2 of the first 3
I'm not disagreeing with you, but control time is one of the least looked upon actions when scoring a fight

I thought if Steve won the 5th it was his, but he blew it. He said it himself. Great performance though and he'll be back.

So, according to you, EVERYONE else was wrong except the possibly intoxicated commentary team, who themselves couldn't even decide who won once it was over, but they were still leaning towards Pantoja. This is the crapass commentary that you've very stubbornly hung your hat on.

I went and rewatched rounds 3 and 5 (even though I didn't really need to, but I wanted to rewatch some other fights from the main card, so I squeezed it in) and there's nothing about either of those rounds that looks like Ecerg should have gotten the 10-9s. Even the 2nd round was close.

Whether Ecerg looked less tired or not when the final bell rang means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when the judges are scoring a fight round-by-round. This isn't an endurance marathon and your whole analysis of this fight is hilarious. It's almost as bad as listening to some drunk casual at the bar saying "that guy has a cut on his forehead so he lost".
I made this thread specifically because I disagree with both corners, the judges and journalists. I haven't hid that I am in a small minority. I watched the fight again and watched round 3 a few times. I didn't say Erceg won round 5, I said he won the striking part of the round. I agree that Pantoja pulled out that round with his grappling at the end of the round. He did almost no damage on the ground but it was enough for Pantoja to win round 5. The round that is important is round 3. Erceg opened up the cut, had Pantoja at a minimum slightly concussed and scored some other heavy shots. He clearly won the striking part of that round with damage, more significant strikes and he landed the much cleaner strikes. Pantoja did well in the grappling in that round but it wasn't enough to win the round. Pantoja was concussed. Anik was saying that Pantoja looked like he almost threw up. Pantoja came out diminished in round 4. The announcers were blaming it on the heat (lol, seriously?) but it was the damage from round 3.
Ecerg landed one or two damaging strikes and Pantoja kept moving forward with counters, he was not "stopped in his tracks" in the slightest, then proceeded to manhandle Ecreg on the ground. Half of his strikes missed the mark completely. Pantoja wasn't even wobbled.

This is not an accurate analysis of what happened in round 3.

Not even erceg himself believes that
Erceg thought he lost the fight after round 5. He knew he blew the round. His corner told him he was lost the first 3 rounds, they were wrong. This was a strange fight. You had both corners believing it was 3-1 after 4 rounds and Anik and company hinting they believed Erceg was up 3-1. Two of the judges had it 2-2 going in the 5th and pretty much everybody agrees Pantoja won round 5. I had it 48-47 Erceg. When Erceg watches this fight back he might think differently. He fought a very good fight. I believe if they rematch Erceg would be the favorite. He was the better fighter Saturday night.

Lol, wut?
the fight, Between erceg and Pantoja. you didn't watch it.

I believe you may have had it in the background while whacking off or something, but nothing about your statement suggests you even watched the fight.

I made this thread specifically because I disagree with both corners, the judges and journalists. I haven't hid that I am in a small minority.
I want to mention you're only in the minority (with me) because most people get their Ideas of who won off of corners, judges, and journalists.

Because I'm a free thinker who doesn't care if other people think I'm wrong or stupid I don't succumb to mass pressure of popular opinion.

I feel like with how the scoring system is described TODAY, Erceg won. If this was some years ago, I could understand pantoja winning.

I want to mention you're only in the minority (with me) because most people get their Ideas of who won off of corners, judges, and journalists.

Because I'm a free thinker who doesn't care if other people think I'm wrong or stupid I don't succumb to mass pressure of popular opinion.

I feel like with how the scoring system is described TODAY, Erceg won. If this was some years ago, I could understand pantoja winning.
It's funny when someone is willing to challenge these narratives to see what happens. Yes both corners had it 3-0 Pantoja after the third. I had it 2-1 Erceg and 2 of the judges had it 2-1 Pantoja. So that means after 4 rounds it's 2-2 on 2 of the judges scorecards. Whoever wins the 5th round wins the fight. So if Erceg's corner had an accurate read of what was going on they might've told him something like.......It's all even and you are picking him apart on the feet. Don't go for takedowns so whatever you do keep it standing. Anti-wrestling and striking only in this round and if you keep it standing you win this fight. Erceg's corner did a terrible job but nobody is talking about stuff like this.

Under the old scoring system, Pantoja wins 48-47. Current scoring system I have it 48-47 Erceg. I would give Pantoja round 3 in the old system because of control time on the ground.

I rewatch a lot of fights because I'm watching to enjoy the fight. I need to look at it for scoring only to be able to see it accurately.

Anik was saying that Pantoja looked like he almost threw up.

<WellThere>

Since Anik said so, I guess everything else that I saw was an illusion. Oh, wait...

The announcers were blaming it on the heat (lol, seriously?) but it was the damage from round 3.

<{vega}>

So you have a high opinion of one of the announcers saying he looked like he was about to puke, but dismiss these same announcers for saying it could be the heat?

Give it up man.

So if Erceg's corner had an accurate read of what was going on they might've told him something like.......It's all even and you are picking him apart on the feet. Don't go for takedowns so whatever you do keep it standing. Anti-wrestling and striking only in this round and if you keep it standing you win this fight. Erceg's corner did a terrible job but nobody is talking about stuff like this.

Under the old scoring system, Pantoja wins 48-47. Current scoring system I have it 48-47 Erceg. I would give Pantoja round 3 in the old system because of control time on the ground.
I agree 100%.

you know what? I can see it now, pantoja is going to continue to do what he's been doing recently (lay and pray) and he will lose. He will be shocked, Sherdog will say he got robbed, but you and I will know this... As long as pantoja keeps his fights close and tries to win grappling matches with no damage he will get the wrong set (read: a competent set) of judges one day. Everyone will cry bloodly murder, I will shrug.

Back