Rewatch Erceg beat Pantoja

You must be smoking crack or have full blown aspergers. I just pulled up the stats and they back up what I said. You seem to be really hung up on what the commentators (who were terrible) were saying, especially Anik.

I get it, you don't like Pantoja and wanted him to lose, but the only round he clearly lost was 4. He took that round off then dominated Ecreg in round 5.
No crack and no aspergers. You can look at the stats all you want. I rewatched the fight and looked at round 3 a couple of times. Erceg won round 3. Your take on round 5 is off as well. Erceg was winning the round and got reversed the last minute to minute and a half. You need to watch the fight and stop going by shaky stats. I like Pantoja but he lost. He lost 2,3 and 4. Hometown cooking wins in Brazil.
Let’s stop moving goal posts here, Ercegs own corner thought he lost either 4-1 or 3-2. Bro landed like 3 good elbows in a 25 minute fight and not much else.

Salty ahh dudes

I addressed the corners in the original post. Erceg's corner did a terrible job overall in the fight.

"Bro landed like 3 good elbows in a 25 minute fight."

Great analysis there.
I thought the decision was correct

Pantoja was the clearly superior grappler, and im pretty sure he had the edge in overall strikes landed

Damage as a criteria imo is too subjective. Guys like the Diaz Brothers bleed like crazy, and Chael beat Anderson Silva tf up for 23 minutes but Silva was hardly even bruised and Chael looked like shit. So it's sort of hard to just say based on aesthetics that Erceg deserved the win for landing a nasty elbow or overhand that split Pantoja up...as he walked through said strike into a takedown and 2+ minutes of grappling dominance
Pantoja didn't have the edge in striking. Damage may be subjective but I hope you aren't trying to make an argument that Erceg landed on a couple of damaging shots. Pantoja was getting picked apart on the feet. Erceg's had a clear advantage striking in this fight and Pantoja was diminished after the 3rd round. He was at least slightly concussed after that round.

i agree erceg won the fight.

there is a fight that phantasia won the decision with his control. it is bullshit. you also have to take into account that being in brazil etc the decision was a likley outcome.

i don't think erceg repeats this performance again. i think it is one of those i was so close performances that he haunts him the rest of the time and a fight he keeps trying to live up too. he will become a dominick reyes soon enough and phantasia will have moved on to multiple defenses by decision.
Gus in my eyes, so close yet so far

It was 2-2 and he pulled a Gane and gave the fight away with low fight IQ.

The weirder scoring was in that Dione fight.

I thought she lost a pretty clear 29-28, and cannot figure out how the Lithuanian didn't win.
Brazil,that’s why
Same Brazil bullshit with this fight

I had it 2-2 going into the 5th, then Erceg threw it away. Happens.

It's always sad when a guy who's clearly win starts to slip in the later rounds 'cause it usually ends with all their work in the previous rounds getting diminished scoring wise.

No crack and no aspergers. You can look at the stats all you want. I rewatched the fight and looked at round 3 a couple of times. Erceg won round 3. Your take on round 5 is off as well. Erceg was winning the round and got reversed the last minute to minute and a half. You need to watch the fight and stop going by shaky stats. I like Pantoja but he lost. He lost 2,3 and 4. Hometown cooking wins in Brazil.

You just wanted this guy Ecreg, who's been in the UFC for like 3 minutes, to win the belt for whatever reason. Maybe you should watch the fight in slow motion with the commentary muted so your slow brain can absorb it all without any distractions. The only bad scorecard was that 49-46, but then again round 4 was the only one Ecreg clearly won, and he didn't land hardly anything in round 5. The other two judges scored it fairly, so no "hometown cooking" here.

05042024-Scorecards-Pantoja-vs-Erceg.jpeg

The key round is round 3. Pantoja had the takedown and control time. Erceg got the better of the striking including opening up Pantoja and landing a few really hard shots. He landed the cleaner strikes and the damage diminished Pantoja in round 4. Pantoja was not moving forward after getting beaten up in the third round. Erceg won the round. That's why he won the fight. He won rounds 2,3 and 4. If he doesn't go for the takedown he wins the fight 49-46 instead of winning it 48-47.

The 3rd round is key. Watch it again and get back to me.

Erceg gave away round 5 with the takedown attempt. It was still a close round since Erceg was winning the striking. Pantoja stole the round but not the fight. Erceg won round 3 and took rounds 2 and 4. 48-47 for Erceg. The key is round 3 since the judges had it for Pantoja even though that's the round Erceg opened up Pantoja when he blasted him with the elbow. Erceg was blasting Pantoja with punches and a few elbows in the round.
Did you even read what you're saying? You said Panty stole the fifth round but not the fight... two judges literally scored it 48-47. Don't get back to me.

It was a tie into the 5th and even steve said that he blew it. Pantoja is a tough sob. He was getting hit clean and never showed it.

No he didn’t. Pantoja kept coming forward and kept taking him down. Only thing Erceg did was cut him from a couple elbows. Even Erceg’s corner thought he was down 3-0 going into the 4th.

exactly how I scored it, Erceg beat the piss out of Pantoja, and if they went back to the old scoring criteria, you might make a case for 3-2 Erceg.
Pantoja is becoming the king of getting beat up, but winning a sporting event 3-2 winning the belt vs Moreno was much the same.

Erceg was the better fighter but I honestly scored it 48 47 pantoja (1,2,5). Erceg will be kicking himself after watching the replays.

I also scored it 2 3 4 for erceg. This is the second time in a row pantoja laid his way to a win after getting beat the fuck up on the feet

It was a tie into the 5th and even steve said that he blew it. Pantoja is a tough sob. He was getting hit clean and never showed it.
He thought he lost. He was wrong and so was his corner. His corner didn't do him any favors by telling him he lost the first 3 rounds. The guys in the booth had it 2-1 Erceg and so did I after rewatching the fight. After the fight, Erceg should've ran around the ring with his hands raised high. He was the cleaner looking fighter. Pantoja's face was a mess and Erceg had more left in the tank when the bell rang.

It was 2-2 and he pulled a Gane and gave the fight away with low fight IQ.
It was 3-1 Erceg. The key is round 3 and people need to rewatch it to see that Erceg was winning. It was inexperience. DC was right with that call. I didn't expect the fight to be so good.

Pantoja won and Erceg did better than I thought he would

Pantoja won but Erceg gave him the fight. I think Erceg will win a rematch if he fights smarter.

The key round is round 3. Pantoja had the takedown and control time. Erceg got the better of the striking including opening up Pantoja and landing a few really hard shots. He landed the cleaner strikes and the damage diminished Pantoja in round 4. Pantoja was not moving forward after getting beaten up in the third round. Erceg won the round. That's why he won the fight. He won rounds 2,3 and 4. If he doesn't go for the takedown he wins the fight 49-46 instead of winning it 48-47.

The 3rd round is key. Watch it again and get back to me.

Erceg gave away round 5 with the takedown attempt. It was still a close round since Erceg was winning the striking. Pantoja stole the round but not the fight. Erceg won round 3 and took rounds 2 and 4. 48-47 for Erceg. The key is round 3 since the judges had it for Pantoja even though that's the round Erceg opened up Pantoja when he blasted him with the elbow. Erceg was blasting Pantoja with punches and a few elbows in the round.
1 elbow doesn't win a round if it doesn't drop or wobbles the opponent. Pantoja went on to Outland him soundly & only threw power shots himself. Erceg was busted up too & his legs & body absorbed way more damage overall. Not too mention the grappling dominance.

If you're measuring a fight by blood lost, then Erceg definitely wins.

Back