Epic Beer Thread V33: Rejoice, it's stout season!

Brooklyn Brewery - Very large with massive distro footprint. You can get there beer pretty much anywhere. Mostly safe stuff. Nothing worth chasing.

Devil's Backbone - Virginia brewery. They recently started distributing here in Pittsburgh. Haven't heard too much about them. They are pretty mediocre from my understanding.

Harpoon - One of the OG Vermont breweries. The game has mostly passed them by. Still use wormwood yeast in their IPAs which is contentious.

Jack's Abby - They're out of central Massachusetts. They only do lagers. They make some nice stuff. I'd definitely hit them up.

Stone - If you're not familiar with them, I'm not sure you should be going to a beerfest.

The Hop Concept - This is Port Brewing and Lost Abbey. They are all one in the same. Lost Abbey branded beers are only sours. Hop Concept branded beers are only hoppy. I've had a handful from them. They are nice but nothing that thrilling.

That's all I know.

Gonna be spending the next couple of days at the Great British Beer Festival in London.

I'm looking at the International Beer List:-

https://www.gbbf.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/GBBF-2018-International-Beer-Listings.pdf

Lots of US brewers I'm not familiar with.

I'd appreciate if anybody could point me towards and decent breweries or beers.

Cheers!
harpoon is good.Nice brewery too. I have been to jack abby they are good. have some decent stuff. Stone obviously is good.

Hey I thought this thread dieded. Happy discoveries.

A friend at work today brought in a nice surprise for me today. I'll be having my first ever Heady Topper tonight. I know it's kind of the old guard for high end American IPA's but I'm excited none the less.

Question - do you all drink from the can like the label says to?

A friend at work today brought in a nice surprise for me today. I'll be having my first ever Heady Topper tonight. I know it's kind of the old guard for high end American IPA's but I'm excited none the less.

I don’t think I’ve ever poured out a Heady, so yes.

Devil's Backbone - Virginia brewery. They recently started distributing here in Pittsburgh. Haven't heard too much about them. They are pretty mediocre from my understanding.

I would concur with this....nothing special

Owned by ABInBev as well.

I've done both. Never noticed a discernible difference in either method. Even when it still had all the hype, I've always felt it was a very good beer but not quite the level it's cracked up to be. Wouldn't turn one down for sure though. Focal on the other hand is one of the best IPAs out there imo.

Odd side note but one of my co-worker's father and Kimmich's brother are best friends. He's dropped off cans for me a few times.

I've done both. Never noticed a discernible difference in either method. Even when it still had all the hype, I've always felt it was a very good beer but not quite the level it's cracked up to be. Wouldn't turn one down for sure though. Focal on the other hand is one of the best IPAs out there imo.

Odd side note but one of my co-worker's father and Kimmich's brother are best friends. He's dropped off cans for me a few times.
Overall for me I think it may have been a little old but it was good. Very smooth and drinkable for 8%. It felt very much in line with a lot of the IPA and DIPA offerings I get from from a few brewers like Great Lakes Brewery and Nickle Brook Brewing around me.

Brooklyn Brewery - Very large with massive distro footprint. You can get there beer pretty much anywhere. Mostly safe stuff. Nothing worth chasing.

Harpoon - One of the OG Vermont breweries. The game has mostly passed them by. Still use wormwood yeast in their IPAs which is contentious.

Jack's Abby - They're out of central Massachusetts. They only do lagers. They make some nice stuff. I'd definitely hit them up.

Stone - If you're not familiar with them, I'm not sure you should be going to a beerfest.

The Hop Concept - This is Port Brewing and Lost Abbey. They are all one in the same. Lost Abbey branded beers are only sours. Hop Concept branded beers are only hoppy. I've had a handful from them. They are nice but nothing that thrilling.

That's all I know.
brooklyn brewery is pretty meh .

Alchemist was distributed to SoCal so I got to try Focal Banger. Good beer, I wish I could try Heady and Crusher too but they went really fast at all the places that got them.
I have never been able to find that beer anywhere, pliny and psuedo sue I can find easily here but alchemist is almost non existent.

I was up in Asheville this past weekend and made it to 5 or 6 breweries. The big standout for me was Burial. One of the best DIPAs I've had in a long time called "To Streak Blood Across My Brow"

I have never been able to find that beer anywhere, pliny and psuedo sue I can find easily here but alchemist is almost non existent.

Outside of VT, they send a case or 2 out for special events they are attending in the area. That's it. You'll never find it outside of VT unless they are going to a beerfest in the area or something like that.

I don't think there's been distribution back to SoCal since I made that post.

Sours were the big thing here the past 2 summers and I'm not a fan either.

The thing this year seems to be Hazy IPAs.

I kind of fell off the beer scene since our trip to Vermont this past October. So a couple of weeks ago we went to this fairly new Microbrewery Urban Village (@Te Huna Matata if you find yourself in Philly this place is worth checking out) and ordered a Hazy IPA. They served me a beer that was almost white in complexion and I was like "This is an IPA) which they assured me it was. It was pretty tasty.

3tJws9K.jpg

tpdmwf9.jpg
I don't think I can ever drink a sour ever again in my life I got burnt out on them I drank them so much. smog city used to have some crazy sours. this brewery called phantom carriage had this sour/wine type beer that was amazing it was called lugosi.
7f802e12c540ad6fc353bcbc4c30a165_320x320.jpeg

https://untappd.com/b/phantom-carriage-brewery-lugosi-2017/2351728

Back