English speakers: What common words are said differently in your region?

I’ve noticed that most places call these roundabouts:

a_roundabout_p3214781.jpg

But here (Alberta) we just call them traffic circles.
because roundaboot sounds silly

Here in Wales we say quite a lot of words weirdly. Especially in south Wales / the valleys, where I'm from.

Off the top of my head, my English mates get well annoyed at how I pronounce 'tooth' - down here, the 'oo' has the same sound as in 'wood' or 'good'. It proper winds them up haha!

All I know is that it used to be that you would only hear the word “hella” in Sacramento. SoCal people would talk shit all day long about that. Then Gwen Stephanie came out with the song Hella, and they are acting like they invented the shit.
There was even a band in Sacramento named Hella. I’m pretty sure the members are doing some project with Chino Moreno now.

Thanks to American media “I was like” spread to most western countries (Britain, Australia) through teenage girl valley speak. Think little Britain’s Vicky Pollard or Summer heights high Ja’mie. Luckily the others next quite made the jump.

The sidewalk is of course the foot path in Australia.

In terms of pronunciation Australia like Britain speaks standard English which is quite different to American English.
-Don’t be fooled by people claiming Middle English (Shakespearean) would of sounded more like modern general American than English. It doesn’t, it would of sounded most like modern regional British, then Standard English, then American. Whore and hour and rape and ripe used to be pronounced the same, for an example.

The main similarity between general American and Shakespearean is that also like in regional British, Scottish and Irish accents, standard American is rhotic (so you pronounce the r in words ending in er like “butter” is butt-ergh or butt-er compared with butt-a or butt-uh which is the modern British way). In general though standard English sounds closer to Shakespearean than American, which makes sense as standard English is the evolution of Shakespearean (south east English accent).

Is that how it "would of sounded"?

Which language is that?

Catsup

Ontario, Canada.
We say grade 9 not 9th grade.
Chocolate bar instead of candy bar.

We don't often say "huh?" as a substitute for what. Often it's "eh?". Some people say "sorry?".

Garbage instead of trash.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that most places call these roundabouts:

a_roundabout_p3214781.jpg

But here (Alberta) we just call them traffic circles.

Interesting. Yeah in Ontario they're called roundabouts. At least where I live.

I wonder why it took us so long to get on board? I feel like they've had them in the UK forever.

My head hurts with all the would ofs itt. Or is that an example of evolution in the language?

In England, These are Biscuits. We know Americans call them cookies. We also use the word cookie, but it refer to a specific type of biscuit. Those 2 chocolate chip ones near the top are cookies, the rest are certainly not.

skynews-met-police-biscuits_4235525.jpg

In the UK we don't have the things that Americans call biscuits. We have scones which are a sweeter, heavier version but we can't decide whether it's it rhymes with "con" or "cone".

How-to-Make-Biscuits-Baked.jpg

My head hurts with all the would ofs itt. Or is that an example of evolution in the language?

Could of, should of, etc.
Makes my ears bleed.

Many don't know the past participle either.

"I should of went there"
"He should of ran for president"
"You should of came earlier"

It's like listening to stupid.

Some Americans I met didn't understand 'midnight' or 'midday'.

I couldn't understand anything one of my doormen in NY was saying when I first arrived and he would just start yelling at me, as if that's going to help ya boofhead.

In New York City, we say the deli. Everywhere else, we say the convenience store or just the store.
Deli is a convenience store with an actual deli counter. Convenience stores we called candy stores or corner stores or Bodega s if they were run by Puerto Ricans. At least when I was growing up in brooklyn.

Edit: didn't read the rest of the thread before replying. Saw its been discussed

Last edited:
Ho cuz where u when stay lidat. Braddah Kimo went to da kine, you know da place by Ala’s we’re we all scrap. Brah, rememba dat crazy rumble. One faka wen false crack me but no worries beef curry I wen knock dat faka out cold! Cheeeee. K den shoots brah meet u later bumbai I gotta bocha first.

Ho cuz where u when stay lidat. Braddah Kimo went to da kine, you know da place by Ala’s we’re we all scrap. Brah, rememba dat crazy rumble. One faka wen false crack me but no worries beef curry I wen knock dat faka out cold! Cheeeee. K den shoots brah meet u later bumbai I gotta bocha first.
In New York City, we say the deli. Everywhere else, we say the convenience store or just the store.

Is that true? So Katz would be referred to as the same level as 7-11? That seems weird. If someone says they're taking me to a deli in NYC, I'd be pissed off if we went to 7-11 instead of Katz.

In England, These are Biscuits. We know Americans call them cookies. We also use the word cookie, but it refer to a specific type of biscuit. Those 2 chocolate chip ones near the top are cookies, the rest are certainly not.

skynews-met-police-biscuits_4235525.jpg

In the UK we don't have the things that Americans call biscuits. We have scones which are a sweeter, heavier version but we can't decide whether it's it rhymes with "con" or "cone".

How-to-Make-Biscuits-Baked.jpg

Americans pronounce "scones" as "s-cones." I've always thought the Brits pronounce it as "scons."

Same with Australia... Cunt is used like water... Yet in the US the feminazis made it out to be the worst word ever. Amazing how offended people get by words.

it depends on how you use the word. it can still be pretty offensive.

Back