English speakers: What common words are said differently in your region?

In New York City, we say the deli. Everywhere else, we say the convenience store or just the store.
I thought it was more common to say bodega for small convenience store and deli meant more like an actual deli? Anyway, in Boston/New England we tend to say "corner store".

It's all in good fun. Go outside and suck on a :eek::eek::eek:, itll relax you.
Wow. This thread has quickly devolved into an English-bashing fest all because I innocently mentioned that cigarettes are colloquially referred to as :eek::eek::eek:s in the UK.

Fuck you guys. Grow up.

I thought it was more common to say bodega for small convenience store and deli meant more like an actual deli? Anyway, in Boston/New England we tend to say "corner store".

There's not much of a difference between the two terms, except that a deli is pretty much a bodega that serves deli sandwiches. Also the word bodega has different meanings in different parts of Latin America - it can also mean a warehouse or a storage space.

"Bang a U-eee" is what the rest of you cigarettes refer to as making a U-turn.
Some people in Nor Cal call it "bust a bitch". My brother picked that up when he was living out there. One time we were driving around the Bay Area and he told us to "bust a bitch" and we looked at him like he was a space alien.

Where in that suicide inducing county did u live? I was born in new galilee.
Growing up in northern Ohio, my grandparents said tomorrow like "ta-more-uh," wash became "warsh." and mail like "mell."

Lived in far-eastern Pennsylvania (Lawrence county) for a time and people there had a weird, almost Canadian-meets-Amish inflection.

Some people in Nor Cal call it "bust a bitch". My brother picked that up when he was living out there. One time we were driving around the Bay Area and he told us to "bust a bitch" and we looked at him like he was a space alien.

I always say "bust a U-wee." I guess that's a SoCal thing.

Words off the top of my head that are pronounced different in the South.

- pecan
- striped
- geaux
- crawfish
- feeder road

Yorkshire: Tin’t int tin.
English: it isn’t in the tin.

We call it an offie, short for off license

That av is from a movie, not a real life person. You are actually pissed over a little joke. You blood gushing bitch. Reply if youre going to lose sleep over this while me and everybody else is laughing at you. You overly sensitive pussy. Lmao

Did you know that the British use the word "fanny" to refer to vaginas whereas Americans use it to refer to buttocks?

Did you know that the British use the word "fanny" to refer to vaginas whereas Americans use it to refer to buttocks?
I’ve heard that. Can’t say ive ever heard an American under the age of 70 say fanny though.

Hey don't be a cigarette.

What's up with New Englanders saying "So didn't I" instead of the more common "So did I?"
I'm in New England and round here we prefer the more formal 'so did I not also'

Nobody anywhere else uses the term "hella" the way we do here in California. That one in particular drives other American speakers nuts, and so too how we always preface a story about something we said or did in the past with the phrase, "I was like...", instead of "I told him..." or "I reacted by saying..." or just "I [insert verb]..."

Drives everyone else crazy.

I'll have to think in more depth later.

Thanks to American media “I was like” spread to most western countries (Britain, Australia) through teenage girl valley speak. Think little Britain’s Vicky Pollard or Summer heights high Ja’mie. Luckily the others never quite made the jump.

The sidewalk is of course the foot path in Australia.

In terms of pronunciation Australia like Britain speaks standard English which is quite different to American English.
-Don’t be fooled by people claiming Middle English (Shakespearean) would of sounded more like modern general American than English. It doesn’t, it would of sounded most like modern regional British, then Standard English, then American. Whore and hour and rape and ripe used to be pronounced the same, for an example.

The main similarity between general American and Shakespearean is that also like in regional British, Scottish and Irish accents, standard American is rhotic (so you pronounce the r in words ending in er like “butter” is butt-ergh or butt-er compared with butt-a or butt-uh which is the modern British way). In general though standard English sounds closer to Shakespearean than American, which makes sense as standard English is the evolution of Shakespearean (south east English accent).

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that most places call these roundabouts:

a_roundabout_p3214781.jpg

But here (Alberta) we just call them traffic circles.

Where in that suicide inducing county did u live? I was born in new galilee.

Spent most of my time between New Wilmington and Volant. I remember that area being charming country acres but that was decades ago

Bollocks UK - balls, testicles, nads, nuts US

Bint UK - bitch US

I learned that from reading Full Moon, biography of Who drummer Keith Moon.

Cigarettes were known as :eek::eek::eek:s way before gay males were referred to as :eek::eek::eek:s.

In Australia, especially Queensland, if someone is really bigheaded and loves themself they are referred to as being really 'up themselves.' Sounds a bit rude but it's not.

The big ones that Americans say that annoy me is when they are angry they say they are pissed. Even after all these years i still immediately think they're meaning they are drunk instead of angry. Why can't they just say that little word, 'off', after pissed.
The other is when they say math. It's fucking mathS. Mathematics, it's MATHS, it has an S on the end.

In nz it's called a chilly-bin, in Oz it's an esky, don't know what it is in England or America.
Di-472x298

In nz they're called jandals, in Oz they are called thongs, in England they're called flip-flops[i think?]
nz_jandals__62273-1405428915-1280-1280.jpg

Back