English speakers: What common words are said differently in your region?

Wow. This thread has quickly devolved into an English-bashing fest all because I innocently mentioned that cigarettes are colloquially referred to as :eek::eek::eek:s in the UK.

Fuck you guys. Grow up.
We call them durries or Smokes down here

In most parts of America cunt is a very bad word. In Scotland it's a term of endearment. It's not unusual to be greeted with, alright ya cunt, how ye daen. The first couple of times I thought I was being insulted but no, that's just the Scottish way of being friendly.

In the south they call remote controls 'clickers'. And they don't 'push' buttons they 'mash' them.

"Just mash the button on the clicker and it'll turn on"

True story: I had some friends who used to call the remote control the “hand n-word.” They have since grown up and realize how wrong that is. But even as I type this I am trying to hold in my laughter.

A submarine sandwich or Sub like Jersey Mikes Subs are called Hoagies in Pennsylvania. It is called Heros in NYC. I wonder what they are rest of countries.

As a Canadian expat abroad, if I am in conversation with Americans and they use imperial measurements, I just call them "freedom units"

Same here. I work with technical people so they all know metric but the odd time we talk about distance in miles I'll say, "That's 120km in Commie units". Usually good for laugh.

True story: I had some friends who used to call the remote control the “hand n-word.” They have since grown up and realize how wrong that is. But even as I type this I am trying to hold in my laughter.
We have a thing where we tell someone, "Have the boy get me a beer," which means get me a beer pretty please. It's always fun when the new guy is Black and hasn't been clued in yet.

In the south they call remote controls 'clickers'. And they don't 'push' buttons they 'mash' them.

"Just mash the button on the clicker and it'll turn on"

We used to call the channel changer "the converter" because in fact at one time it was a modulator/demodulator. My brother would call it "the tom-verker" when he was 3 or 4 years old.

I just assume calling it "the remote" is now universal.

British people call sausages "bangers". Some people in the Maritimes of Canada refer to humid weather as being "close". It drives me bananas because who the fuck uses that term in 2018?

In most parts of America cunt is a very bad word. In Scotland it's a term of endearment. It's not unusual to be greeted with, alright ya cunt, how ye daen. The first couple of times I thought I was being insulted but no, that's just the Scottish way of being friendly.

Cunt was rarely used when I was a kid but the word "fuck" has been so watered down that we now use "cunt" for that extra emphasis when necessary. Also, nothing sounds more appropriate than, " 'ya dumb fucking cunt!".

Damn...... that's, uh...
Just looked it up on urban dictionary, it's a thing...

Where I live: “They don’t do that though, do they”.

Liverpool (A 10 minute drive away): “Dee don’t do dat do doo dee”.

ever have to smack a scouser around for being a scouse?

Back