Encana Driven to the States - Let's Get Wexit Rolling

I'm confused- is Alberta a "have" province or a dump?

Depends on the oil industry.

They used to have a reserve fund they would squirrel away during boom years for the unavoidable future downturns. Thats gone now.

They also held out against a provincial sales tax, so that doesn't help them.

I said we pay out in equalization payments and don't receive any federal monies. WTF are you talking about? And, yes, we would be just fine without alberta.
I don't think you would be fine w/o alberta
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-dat...nalysis/energy-facts/energy-and-economy/20062

11% of your entire GDP is directly related to Energy, and of that 7% is from Alberta

Energy was 23% of your exports last year, largely sourced from Alberta through the pipelines to the US for refinement. Theoretically Canada could make up loss in GDP, i'm not sure it could deal w/ the loss of that trade partnership w/ the US the worlds largest economy. 95% of your energy exports were to the US

also, a full quarter of all Foreign Direct Investment into Canada is into the Energy sector, largely centered on oil/gas extraction

I don't think you would be fine w/o alberta
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-dat...nalysis/energy-facts/energy-and-economy/20062

11% of your entire GDP is directly related to Energy, and of that 7% is from Alberta

Energy was 23% of your exports last year, largely sourced from Alberta through the pipelines to the US for refinement. Theoretically Canada could make up loss in GDP, i'm not sure it could deal w/ the loss of that trade partnership w/ the US the worlds largest economy. 95% of your energy exports were to the US

also, a full quarter of all Foreign Direct Investment into Canada is into the Energy sector, largely centered on oil/gas extraction
We'll be fine. We have hydro up the ying yang. A minor hit to GDP is well worth being rid of Alberta's would-be tyranny. Sorry if my nonchalance over a threatened exit hurts your feelings.

In also find it odd considering that Trudeau is very pro pipeline.
Truderp the racist blackface obstructing justice dancing clown is only pro-pipeline in that he hoped buying it would pander to Alberta but since the pipeline expansion was done illegally it's on it's way to be struck down in court yet a second time. The moron can't do fuck all right including pandering. Thank God Canada gives me the option to vote NDP so I don't have to hold my nose and vote for a criminal racist from the libs or cons.

Truderp the racist blackface obstructing justice dancing clown is only pro-pipeline in that he hoped buying it would pander to Alberta but since the pipeline expansion was done illegally it's on it's way to be struck down in court yet a second time. The moron can't do fuck all right including pandering. Thank God Canada gives me the option to vote NDP so I don't have to hold my nose and vote for a criminal racist from the libs or cons.

I do not like him either and I am a lifelong NDP voter myself.

The Trans Mountain pipeline is a enormous investment the will greatly increase Alberta's ability to export.

He also approved the Line 3 pipeline and supports the (leaking millions of liters) Keystone pipeline.

He approved the LNG fracking plant in Kitimat.

He's very pro oil. I think the anti oil talk from Alberta is BS.

I do not like him either and I am a lifelong NDP voter myself.

The Trans Mountain pipeline is a enormous investment the will greatly increase Alberta's ability to export.

He also approved the Line 3 pipeline and supports the (leaking millions of liters) Keystone pipeline.

He approved the LNG fracking plant in Kitimat.

He's very pro oil. I think the anti oil talk from Alberta is BS.
Fair points.

We'll be fine. We have hydro up the ying yang. A minor hit to GDP is well worth being rid of Alberta's would-be tyranny. Sorry if my nonchalance over a threatened exit hurts your feelings.
I'm not Canadian, I could not care at all

Just from a neutral view, it would be a hit economically for sure.

It's a 'have' province. They use this status to wield economic power over have not provinces by threatening to secede if things don't go there way. My point is B.C. is also a have province so Alberta's economic clout means nothing to us but they are counting on it to make us allow more of their oil to be delivered to our ports at great ecological risk to us. I'm saying they're all talk as far as BC is concerned so if they want to leave they can do so because no fucks are given in BC.

Thanks for the info

Alberta is not leaving Canada to form it's own state. It wouldn't be a viable country. If they did leave, it would probably be to become an American state, which isn't happening. There is no appetite for it.

OP is wrong, though, because if Alberta did leave, it would effectively mean the end of Canada as a coherent country. BC would be entirely hived off from the rest of Canada with no transit except through Alberta (again, this simply isn't going to happen). I don't think anyone in BC would enjoy that very much, especially when BC's own economy slows (ie, when BC finally get that really big real estate correction the talking heads have been promising since the 1990s).

Also, the level of disdain Canadians have been showing for each other post-election is disheartening. Albertan angst is driven by the sense that there are a large number of people, many of whom drive national policy in Canada, who either don't give a shit that Alberta has been struggling or are actually happy about the fact. On the other side, many people acting in good faith believe that Albertans don't care about the economic problems of the rest of Canada, don't view themselves as Canadian, and are being selfish and blind and not acting in good faith when they blame everything on the rest of Canada. This is a bigger problem than the economic dispute, although it gets expressed in economic terms.

What Alberta is going to do is to systematically hive itself from the rest of Canada in the same way Quebec has done: get rid of the mounties in favour of a provincial fource, institute a provincial pension plan, opt out of federal cost sharing programs, etc, as Kenney has suggested. If this happens, this is going to suck for everyone else in Canada, long term, as Alberta is significantly younger than the rest of the country and disproportionately pays into the pension system other provinces are drawing on (Quebec excepted). Alberta starting to go their own way and to decouple their finances from the rest of the country as much as possible will have deleterious effects on national unity.

Back