News Emil Weber Meek, Joe Ellenberger, and Alexander Yakovlev has been released by the UFC

If Joe Ellenberger couldn’t fight because of a medical condition, why keep him under contract for 7 years? UFC contracts…

He presumably wanted to be under contract incase he could fight again. They wouldn't waste money on the USADA tests otherwise.

John Hathaway and Travis Browne still get tested despite not having fought in years too.

Joe Ellenberger fought last in 2014 I know he has a blood disease but like come on how can it take so long to release him?

maybe he was hoping he'd be in condition to fight one day and didn't want to lose his contract deal and the ufc did him a favor because of his brother.

The UFC are pretty much horrible partners when it comes to contracts. They kept Joe under contract for 7 years because, frankly, fighters don't have the money to get it vacated in court.
Or because Joe was perfectly fine with not being released. I doubt UFC was pulling Bjorn tactics to keep fucking Joe Ellenberger under their thumb.

Jake got knocked out 4 fights in a row and was already cut - he had begged Dana for one more shot and unequivocally told it was his last fight. This was on his career ending run of 2-8.

Joe was 15-2 with a three fight win streak before Barberena. Literally nothing in common other then being brothers.

The UFC are pretty much horrible partners when it comes to contracts. They kept Joe under contract for 7 years because, frankly, fighters don't have the money to get it vacated in court.
it's more likely in this case that joe hadn't asked for his release until now. they can't just keep him for 7 years without actually offering him fights. he wasn't retired because he remained in the testing pool.

Meek got robbed in that Matthews fight.

Jake got knocked out 4 fights in a row and was already cut - he had begged Dana for one more shot and unequivocally told it was his last fight. This was on his career ending run of 2-8.

Joe was 15-2 with a three fight win streak before Barberena. Literally nothing in common other then being brothers.

Ellenberger hadn't fought since before the WME sale. I think that they probably would've let him go if he asked for his release.

It is kind of weird how little consistency there is with this stuff. Some fighters get released after a couple lacklustre fights even if it's not a losing streak. Some can lose 4-5 in a row. Some can stay inactive for the better part of a decade and not get cut even if they have no name value.

Ellenberger, I assumed was cut years ago!

The other two are fine cuts, Meek has the look but not the ability, although he didn't embarass himself against Usman to be honest.

Ellenberger hadn't fought since before the WME sale. I think that they probably would've let him go if he asked for his release.

It is kind of weird how little consistency there is with this stuff. Some fighters get released after a couple lacklustre fights even if it's not a losing streak. Some can lose 4-5 in a row. Some can stay inactive for the better part of a decade and not get cut even if they have no name value.
Some guys don't pay the troll toll to dana and it shows

emil meek was one of those guys that turned up after id already kinda lost interest in the ufc, but reading about him here i was like oh cool, some crazy viking dude. i think i saw one of his fights and it was boring. and now hes gone and cut. cest la vie

Damn, Meek was supposed to be next big thing

So sad
According to who? Like most norwegian fighters his wrestling is non existant when you compare it to "ufc level".

He might have done better if they would have given him more favorable matchups but dude was never going to be in the top of any division.

Two guys that usman beat are released lmao

I was surprised at Meek until I looked to see he'd lost his last three fights, hasn't fought in well over a year and has only fought three times in the past two years. Yeah, now I understand.

I honestly figured he was cut a while ago. He fights like a wronged viking but just isn't that good, relatively speaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back