Emerging Bipolar Therapies

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I feel like stories of mental illness have gained some small acceptance here, so I thought this might be of interest to some:
"Researchers around the world currently are exploring a wide range of possible new treatments for bipolar disorder.

Bipolar disorder, formerly called manic-depression, involves episodes of extreme mood disturbance ranging from deep depression to unrestrained mania. It affects an estimated four percent of the US population. Sufferers typically alternate between these extreme states, with normal mood states in-between.

Lithium, a central treatment of bipolar disorder, was discovered more than 50 years ago. Since that time, some additional medications have also been approved and are successfully helping people with bipolar disorder. Lamictal, an anticonvulsant originally approved for the treatment of convulsive disorders such as epilepsy, was approved by the FDA for bipolar treatment in 2003. Lamictal is particularly helpful for the depression side.

Abilify, a drug that was originally approved to treat schizophrenia, was approved for use in the treatment of bipolar disorder in 2005.

A range of other drugs have been tried with limited success. Sodium valproate (Depakote in the United Statess), an anticonvulsant, often is used to stabilize mood. Certain antipsychotic medications, including chlorpromazine (Thorazine in the United States), also are used for agitation in acute manic episodes. But antidepressants usually are ineffective for the depression stage of bipolar disorder..."
- https://psychcentral.com/lib/emerging-bipolar-therapies/

You need antipsychotics for bipolar? I thought that was a mood disorder. But You take the medication like for schizophrenia? Can anyone explain this?

You need antipsychotics for bipolar? I thought that was a mood disorder. But You take the medication like for schizophrenia? Can anyone explain this?

It's not uncommon for antipsychotics to be prescribed for severe cases of depression, even without strictly psychotic symptoms.

Some of it has to do with the lack of real borders between mental illness diagnoses and some of it has to do with crossover effects of antidepressants/antipsychotics, the mechanisms of which aren't completely understood.

Antipsychotics are strong sedatives ..thus sedate you.. I know ive taken em ....

I was on Abilify for ages, but that was before I was diagnosed bipolar and it was part of my depression treatment along with Cipralex. For a while Abilify and Cipralex seemed like the magic combo, and for the most part I never felt better. My depression was gone. But the drawback was dat lethargy and as that got worse I started withdrawing from the meds. That didn't put me back into depression, instead I developed huge anger issues which I guess led to me being diagnosed as bipolar

I got to experience first hand a patient at our hospital who overdosed on Lithium. It was one of the weirdest, most disturbing things I'd seen at work. And I work in the emergency department of a level 2 trauma center, to give context.

It's not uncommon for antipsychotics to be prescribed for severe cases of depression, even without strictly psychotic symptoms.

Some of it has to do with the lack of real borders between mental illness diagnoses and some of it has to do with crossover effects of antidepressants/antipsychotics, the mechanisms of which aren't completely understood.

Thanks, makes sense.

Oh yeah, I'm on Lamictal for seizures. It doesn't seem to effect my mood or personality, though.

The sad fact is that no one really has any idea why they help, but they do. The problem is they often carry lots of side effects.
That's why this new info is interesting. I'm all for promising new treatments.

For myself, I'm off meds altogether other than self-medicating with pot. Not claiming that's ideal, but better than any previous treatment. Waiting for something better to come along. I'm having a tough time at the moment with what I'd call a mixed episode so possible treatments are on my radar.

The sad fact is that no one really has any idea why they help, but they do. The problem is they often carry lots of side effects.
That's why this new info is interesting. I'm all for promising new treatments.

For myself, I'm off meds altogether other than self-medicating with pot. Not claiming that's ideal, but better than any previous treatment. Waiting for something better to come along. I'm having a tough time at the moment with what I'd call a mixed episode so possible treatments are on my radar.

What about microdosing mushrooms or Molly. Isn't that a thing now?

I have nothing to add to this discussion other than this

What about microdosing mushrooms or Molly. Isn't that a thing now?
Right now, it's only in the research stages, not widespread clinical testing, but psychedelics have shown great promise in treating things like PTSD, depression, and bipolar. As much as I would give my left nut to get into a clinical trial, it hasn't reached that level of acceptance yet, I don't think.

Disclaimer: the above is basically what I have picked up here and there, so it might be somewhat off on the current state of the art. Certainly, it appears to work very well for some things.

LSD would probably be more effective than the trash big pharma pumps out.

Fun fact: The brain is so complex that researchers literally have no clue how many of the drugs people routinely use even work. Most of them were invented accidentally while trying to create a drug for a completely different condition. None of the drugs are pin-pointed, either, they have dozens of reactions in organs and in the brain, it just so happens that one of those reactions is useful to something. Aren't you just filled with confidence?

Fun fact: The brain is so complex that researchers literally have no clue how many of the drugs people routinely use even work. Most of them were invented accidentally while trying to create a drug for a completely different condition. None of the drugs are pin-pointed, either, they have dozens of reactions in organs and in the brain, it just so happens that one of those reactions is useful to something. Aren't you just filled with confidence?

Better than bleeding patients and giving them mercury. At least there is a fairly rigorous scientific process to determine that things DO work.

Better than bleeding patients and giving them mercury. At least there is a fairly rigorous scientific process to determine that things DO work.
It's certainly better than nothing, if not the ideal.

I take lamictal morning and night and seriquel at night and small amounts like a quarter of a pill randomly when anxiety is high.

I don’t notice the lamical and imo it’s like a background mood stabilizer that’s working if you don’t notice it. Totally normal behavior for extended periods of time(5 years)

But seroquel is like a roofie. Mega drowsy with heavy ice cream appetite increase.

As long as I get my sleep the combination of these drugs have been life changing.

Bipolar disorder sucks but it’s def treatable. People just don’t want to admit they have it so they keep living hectic lives and medicating with alcohol and other drugs

Edit: leave the dmt joe hogan remedies alone

Last edited:
I take lamictal morning and night and seriquel at night and small amounts like a quarter of a pill randomly when anxiety is high.

I don’t notice the lamical and imo it’s like a background mood stabilizer that’s working if you don’t notice it. Totally normal behavior for extended periods of time(5 years)

But seroquel is like a roofie. Mega drowsy with heavy ice cream appetite increase.

As long as I get my sleep the combination of these drugs have been life changing.

Bipolar disorder sucks but it’s def treatable. People just don’t want to admit they have it so they keep living hectic lives and medicating with alcohol and other drugs

Edit: leave the dmt joe hogan remedies alone
I appreciate this post and I'm glad you're finding success with treatment. Not all of us can say the same, and man, I love psychedelics once in a blue moon so I'd say your mileage may vary.

Back