Embarassing moments with TMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lester McGrath

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make grappling or other progresive MA's look small, but I've read a couple of posts in this and other forums regarding a BJJ or MT practitioner not doing well against some TMA practitioner. Has anyone had or seen this happen?

Im sure it happens all the time. If someone is highly skilled at the art they practice, they are going to be dangerous.

well everyone has a "puncher/kicker's chance" the question is : if they fought 100 times, who would win?

Sure. I practice TJJ and trained BJJ for a while on a foreign study. I was throwing the BJJ guys all over the mat from standing and winning some matches that way.

You can't beat a BJJer at his game on the ground without some serious ground skills though.

fighter>teacher>style

In certain styles you will find a higher population of effective teachers and dedicated students to the practice of fighting. In these cases it facilitates becoming a better fighter. For example in SoCal, you could walk into 9 out of 10 BJJ places without doing research and get quality fight training. However, you'd be lucky to find 1 out of 10 TMA gyms that train for full contact fights. But don't rule out a TMA fighter, he may have found that 1 place.

You have to understand its not always the style but the person wielding it. I know thats a cliche but its very true. Just look at Loiseau taking out Charles Mccarthy with the spinning back kick.

I would also imagine that we are so used to training with certain strikes and grappling moves, that when someone performs a move we don't usually come across in training, that it could catch you. Shit, I think Loiseau caught everyone by surprise, and it was an awesome move to watch because you don

Somebody had a post here recently with a clip of a Kung Fu (sorry I don't know which specific type) against a boxer, and the Kung Fu guy was getting the better of him.

That same person had a clip of a MMA guy fighting a kung fu guy and making him tap in about 1 minute.

So it CAN go either way.

tinker_190 said:
Somebody had a post here recently with a clip of a Kung Fu (sorry I don't know which specific type) against a boxer, and the Kung Fu guy was getting the better of him.

That same person had a clip of a MMA guy fighting a kung fu guy and making him tap in about 1 minute.

So it CAN go either way.

I think in that video the Vale Tudo fighter actually snaps the karateka's arm. :wink:

Does anyone have stories about this happening? I would like to read accounts of it happening.

The previous mentioned factors definitly play a roll, also what were the rules (or lack there of) of the particular fight. Also, I could have been training MT or BJJ for a couple months, and go against a TMA who has been fighting for a number of years... One of the fighters may have been much bigger, I know of a BJJ/MMA fighter who was a bouncer at a sports bar and got knocked cold from a larger untrained patrin. No martial arts make you invincible...

Except maybe Iron Shirt Qigong. But who want's to train that, from the videos I've seen it's all about getting kicked in the nuts a bunch of times. :)

Yea, or kombat ki, or Juko Kai - has anyone else seen that video with Genki kicking those guys in the balls? Pretty cool, but I would not want to do it. That can't be healthy, and I want to have kids someday.

WTF?!?!?! Some martial art teaches you how to get kicked in the nuts? Sounds like the best party trick I have ever heard!

i do bjj and went to a TMA place today i guess. they were doing what they call jutaijutsu and it looked like no-gi bjj or just submission wrestling so i hopped right in. good stuff, hoever the place teaches ninjitsu and that puts me on the McDojo alert but they're cool guys to grapple with and from grappler to grappler, aint enough of that in the world.

Lester McGrath said:
I'm not trying to make grappling or other progresive MA's look small, but I've read a couple of posts in this and other forums regarding a BJJ or MT practitioner not doing well against some TMA practitioner. Has anyone had or seen this happen?

Could happen, but I've personally never seen it in 20+ years of practising both TMAs and Non-TMAs.

mixicus said:
fighter>teacher>style

In certain styles you will find a higher population of effective teachers and dedicated students to the practice of fighting. In these cases it facilitates becoming a better fighter. For example in SoCal, you could walk into 9 out of 10 BJJ places without doing research and get quality fight training. However, you'd be lucky to find 1 out of 10 TMA gyms that train for full contact fights. But don't rule out a TMA fighter, he may have found that 1 place.

Whoa. Someone who gets it.

Consider this thread locked in your honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back