eggnog = THE drink for bulking

Urban

Savage Mystic
@Gold
Reaction score
eggs + heavy cream + milk + bourbon + nutmeg. Keeps you warm (ok, so the booze doesn't ACTUALLY keep you warm) and helps you put on a protective layer of bulk in the long run.

4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 ounces bourbon (I used wild turkey)
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites*

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

Bourbon is key really. I think it lends a better flavor in comparison to brandy or rum.

Sounds great. Minus the nutmeg, cream, eggs, and milk.

Tap112 said:
Sounds great. Minus the nutmeg, cream, eggs, and milk.
I'm such an idiot... I was sitting here thinking: Shit! what the hell's left?! anyways, the bourbon itself isn't good bulking food really. Not going to get you that far I don't think.

as a side note I'll be making eggnog ice cream in the ice cream maker I just got for christmas. SWEET!

I just had some. My god it was horrible. I was at my parents and I told her to pick some up. She got egg nog in a milk carton that was non-alcoholic. It was supposed to be mixed with southern comfort. I dunno, the thing was SO thick, and tasted horrible.

Last year I had "holiday nogg" with brandy in it. That wasn't too bad. Wasn't as thick, tasted better, I recommend that much more.

eggnog, bah humbug.

Eat barley gruel! The ultimate gladiator meal!

Rjkd12 said:
I just had some. My god it was horrible. I was at my parents and I told her to pick some up. She got egg nog in a milk carton that was non-alcoholic. It was supposed to be mixed with southern comfort. I dunno, the thing was SO thick, and tasted horrible.

Last year I had "holiday nogg" with brandy in it. That wasn't too bad. Wasn't as thick, tasted better, I recommend that much more.
The thick stuff is pasteurized. It's awful in comparison to the homemade - unpastuerized, salmonella rich version.

Shouldn't you post this in the Official Recipe Thread?

Urban said:
The thick stuff is pasteurized. It's awful in comparison to the homemade - unpastuerized, salmonella rich version.

Exactly. I like to call it the "holiday suprise." You drink a gallon or so and you wait. No salmonella, its a bulking agent. Salmonella its cutting and be prepared to lose 10 lbs in a few days.

Either way you win!

Rjkd12 said:
Exactly. I like to call it the "holiday suprise." You drink a gallon or so and you wait. No salmonella, its a bulking agent. Salmonella its cutting and be prepared to lose 10 lbs in a few days.

Either way you win!

LOL!

King Kabuki said:
Shouldn't you post this in the Official Recipe Thread?
oh yeah... I'l post it in there too. you got it. Here's a question on the function of that thread, should a new thread be created for a recipe so it can be discussed and simultaneously posted in the recipe thread so it's sort of archived?

I don't mind that if you don't mind that. I think questions could be asked in the recipe thread, but I see how it could get a bit dis-organized. So whatever works for everyone in here. The crowd in here has become pretty good in-terms of doing right by threads.

That thread is a good idea. I think it would be a really good idea to only allow people to post recipes - if people just start posting general conversation it is going to be hard to sift through it, especially so since I can see that thread growing to be many pages long (dont feel like Im backseat moderating, just a suggestion).

Suggestions are welcome, and yours is a good one.

Shadup and drink your bourbon.

bourbon and nog = good. captain mo and nog = great. the spiced flavor of the rum compliments the nog nicely IMO

Duncon76 said:
Love that stuff, but without the booze. Don't drink :)
I'm not drinking anything with that much fat in it unless somebody's panties are coming off at the end of the night.

Back