• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Edmond: If I wasn't training Ronda, she still would be champion!

Nah sorry Edmund. Ronda was champ despite having you as a coach. You were exactly what she needed. A yes man who gassed her up and instilled confidence by convincing her that she was better than she was, especially in the striking department.

Yea, and she might have been champion longer without him.

The simple reality is that she never evolved into a mixed martial artist. She was an A+ athlete with a very specific skillset, and the competition was AWFUL. Once the competition improved, she didn't have the wrestling to get it to the ground, and she didn't have the striking to win on the feet. Judo isn't a particularly viable base for mma, and she never rounded out her game.

If you take the quote and apply it in different ways, him saying "I'm the reason she's not a champion anymore, if she left me and went somewhere else she wouldn't have lost" is more true.

Nah sorry Edmund. Ronda was champ despite having you as a coach. You were exactly what she needed. A yes man who gassed her up and instilled confidence by convincing her that she was better than she was, especially in the striking department.
You mean because he instilled her with it, and you might actually be right.
Her mum being too hard shaped her skills and Edmund let her find confidence without adding much beyond that.
It would have been interesting to have her train proper mma but she gave us a lot without it.

This is not humility because Ronda would have been better if someone else was training her.
Yea, and she might have been champion longer without him.
I remember before Edmond worked with her, she tried hitting pads/sparring with a striking coach and when the coach (lightly) hit her she ended up crying and leaving the gym, so I doubt she would've fared better with another coach since her issue was always mental/ego/pride.

Ronda had legit talent, regardless of how you feel about her personality. She needed someone to level her out, not gas her up. She may have had some L's along the way, but be better equipped to deal with them and had a better career overall.

I got to learn from Justin Flores (black hair to the left) her arm bar series that he taught her

He’s got a method (nogi) to break any defensive grip and take your arm in an arm-bar. It was her her go-to shit

IMG_7420.jpeg

I mean it’s nice that he recognises at least partly his flaws as a coach but with all due respect Edmen hasn’t really been the best example of he improving as a coach.

If Edmen went to a different gym I think he’d be a champion despite Edmond thinking he’ll be able to train him to be champ.

Edmen is clearly extremely talented but has hit a wall that his athleticism and natural vision can’t seem to get past and I don’t think he’ll ever get past it training with Edmond feels like they’re focusing on the wrong things and it’s causing a lack of certain skills which kills his cardio in fights.

You mean because he instilled her with it, and you might actually be right.
Her mum being too hard shaped her skills and Edmund let her find confidence without adding much beyond that.
It would have been interesting to have her train proper mma but she gave us a lot without it.

Ronda had legit talent, regardless of how you feel about her personality. She needed someone to level her out, not gas her up. She may have had some L's along the way, but be better equipped to deal with them and had a better career overall.

I agree with both of you. I don’t really know who Ronda was sparring in the gym, whether it was guys taking it easy on her, or females who were worse than her. But judgin by the Holly and Amanda fights, she had absolutely no clue what to do on the feet when she was outgunned or couldn’t initiate any grappling. The only conclusion I can draw is that she wasn’t prepared at all. Understand that Amanda is who she is, so no shame there, but she just blindly charged at Holly and got teed off on. Such a bizarre performance for such a dominant champ.

A good coach would have tested her in the gym against superior female strikers just to assess where she’s at. A few hard rounds with someone that had pro KB experience would have highlighted how deficient she was, but I’m not sure that ever happened. She probably wouldn’t even have been receptive to it. Or it may have killed her confidence. Only Ronda and Edmund know.

I remember before Edmond worked with her, she tried hitting pads/sparring with a striking coach and when the coach (lightly) hit her she ended up crying and leaving the gym, so I doubt she would've fared better with another coach since her issue was always mental/ego/pride.
Well she needed someone willing to traverse that and take her to the next level

Bea You Tea Full champ A a amazing champ. Dees ease how I like eat huh 😉

Count Chocula

Do you have the clip?

Please tell me there is a video of it!?

I remember Ronda from 2008 video. There was an Armenian youtube channel and they were in gokors dojo. Thus Armenian dude showed his chest hair to two girls and one of them being Ronda and she freaked out.

Also gokor was very tough but treated everyone the same exact way. Yet he is incredible and has had many ufc fighters who started off as day 1 students.

I feel he gets shit on too much (Edmund) from all the training videos I watched of him with Browne, Ronda and Edmund...he does a decent job. The only thing I saw was that he gave Ronda too much confidence in her standup, he did help improve it but once she went up against Holm and Nunes she should have 100% reverted back to her grappling and perhaps she would have won those fights or made them interesting instead of getting obliterated while trying to strike with them.

No, the competition simply caught up with her. She was beating women in the very early stages of WMMA. Her best win was Miesha Tate who completely was outclassed against the next wave. She could have neutralized Holly Holm a little better with better coaching, but there is no way she could have beaten a ferocious lion like Amanda Nunes no matter what.

Last edited:
I feel he gets shit on too much (Edmund) from all the training videos I watched of him with Browne, Ronda and Edmund...he does a decent job. The only thing I saw was that he gave Ronda too much confidence in her standup, he did help improve it but once she went up against Holm and Nunes she should have 100% reverted back to her grappling and perhaps she would have won those fights or made them interesting instead of getting obliterated while trying to strike with them.

She tried to take them down multiple times, but failed because they had way better takedown defense than she was used to. She had nothing for Amanda Nunes. Amanda Nunes was just superior everywhere. She tried to grab Amanda Nunes for a takedown and she got cracked in the face with those powerbombs she had never felt before.

instilled confidence by convincing her that she was better than she was, especially in the striking department.
Mega true statement. Rhonda's stand-up striking was abysmal and atrocious. Including ANY stand-up in her fight plan was IMHO the direct cause of her painful downfall. She Never should have used it against Holly, and Damn Sure not against the lioness. Had Rhonda stuck to her original fight mode, she certainly could have stayed a champion longer than she did.

Back