Edgar's wrestling

skey91***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Edgar is not the best pure wrestler in MMA when it comes to creds but he does something a lot of other more accomplished wrestlers don't do.

That is chain wrestling.

Penn is great at stuffing a shot and he stuffed most of Frankie's shots but Edgar instead of bailing on the takedown or driving him to the wall and fighitng for a leg in a struggle came up got to the side found an angle and finished his takedowns with space.

It was really beautiful to see.

He keeps you off balance and attaks when eh sees an opening and he has a pretty big arsenal of takedowns and finishes.

He is also always moving and transitioning to keep you off balance.

That is the way wrestling and takedowns should look.

I liked Maynards takedowns last night but he was just a damn Bully. If he gets his hands on you he is to strong and he will manhandle you down.

Edgar is just smooth and always transitioning from one move and finish to the other.

He sets up alot of his takedowns with his hands and footwork.......I agree he is a great chain wrestler and his top game and submission defense is really good and doesnt make the common wrestler to jiu-jitsu mistakes.

He sets up alot of his takedowns with his hands and footwork.......I agree he is a great chain wrestler and his top game and submission defense is really good and doesnt make the common wrestler to jiu-jitsu mistakes.

Yeah is great at using his boxing to setup the takedowns too

frankie also lets his hands fly when the td isn't there, he was tagging penn alot off failed takedowns

thats the mistake guys like diego and florian made they just held onto the takedown for dear life, frankie would bail on it and bomb on bj on the way back up and out

frankie also lets his hands fly when the td isn't there, he was tagging penn alot off failed takedowns

thats the mistake guys like diego and florian made they just held onto the takedown for dear life, frankie would bail on it and bomb on bj on the way back up and out

This + OP = execellent analysis. Fucking awesome.

can we get some gifs of the exchanges?

he was great at using combinations with his hands and his wrestling, he was transitioning from one takedown to another then another. Amazing technique

I was thinking the exact same thing.Usually wrestlers who are attempting to get the takedown give up or drive them to the cage.You're right,Frankie got the takedown from different angles that were unpredictable and surprised BJ

Edgar is not the best pure wrestler in MMA when it comes to creds but he does something a lot of other more accomplished wrestlers don't do.

That is chain wrestling.

I agree with most of your post but Edgar is a D1 wrestler from wrestling powerhouse Clarion. (Kurt Angle, Wade Schalles). So it's not like he doesn't have cred.

I agree with most of your post but Edgar is a D1 wrestler from wrestling powerhouse Clarion. (Kurt Angle, Wade Schalles). So it's not like he doesn't have cred.

I was by no means saying he doesn't have creds.

He made it to the round of 12 (one win away from being and All American)

That being said there are a lot of wrestlers in MMA who have much better creds who don't have the success he does because they don't approach takedowns the way he does.

Mark Munoz for example had a lot more success in wrestling than Frankie but is not near the fighter or as good at takedowns in MMA.

think gray will be able to take him down at will in the rematch.

If Grey can get him against the fence and get his hands on him Edgar is going down, Grey is an animal and is to big and strong.

Frankie has to stick and move.

I also don't see Frankie having much success taking down Maynard. His takedown defense is ridiculous.

Remember when he fought Jim Miller and Miller had the single leg and couldn't finish even though he had it elevated. Maynard just kept pooping him in the face whil hopping on one leg.

But Edgar is also very qucik getting off the matt so if I don't know how long Grey can hold him down.

I am very excited for that fight and don't know who is going to win, both of those guys seem to be improving by leaps and bounds.

Grey stood with Diaz for alot of their fight and got the better of him and we all saw what Diaz did to Davis on the feet.

Er, in the first two rounds Florian stuffed both initial shots of Maynard's and he chained into something else for the takedown. Brute force yeah, not as pretty as Edgar's, but chain-wrestling too.

And Frankie may be more exciting to watch but Maynard is the better wrestler.

Last edited:
Er, in the first two rounds Florian stuffed both initial shots of Maynard's and he chained into something else for the takedown. Brute force yeah, not as pretty as Edgar's, but chain-wrestling too.

And Frankie may be more exciting to watch but Maynard is the better wrestler.

I agree but Maynard does use the fence a lot more.

Most guys can't do what he does, I think most fighters would have better success using Edgar's approach.

Maynard has freakish stengths and can do a lot of things other fighters can't do.

But I do agree Maynard is the better wrestler in both pure wrestling and MMA.

I wasn't really trying to compare the two just mainlly talking about Edgar.

I just brought up Maynard to show the difference in the finishes. THats my the call Maynard the Bully because he imposes his will.

I agree but Maynard does use the fence a lot more.

Most guys can't do what he does, I think most fighters would have better success using Edgar's approach.

Maynard has freakish stengths and can do a lot of things other fighters can't do.

But I do agree Maynard is the better wrestler in both pure wrestling and MMA.

I wasn't really trying to compare the two just mainlly talking about Edgar.

I just brought up Maynard to show the difference in the finishes. THats my the call Maynard the Bully because he imposes his will.

Not everyone can wrestler like Edgar, either. Most people lack the body control and quickness to reshoot and change angles while keeping their base underneath them like Edgar does. And of course, not everyone has the strength, power, and forward drive (both mentally and physically) that Maynard possesses, so not everyone can wrestle like him either. Bottom line imo is that every athlete develops a style and a skillset designed to fit their particular abilities and relative strengths. Both Edgar and Maynard use what they've got to put together an effective takedown repertoire. They've been working at it for decades. It's what we all try to do, and while I may model myself after certain approaches more than others, I really don't believe that any one successful approach is intrinsically 'better' or 'more skillful' than any other.

I feel you, and yeah Edgar's wrestling was a thing of beauty last night. Hard to believe he did that when even Matt Hughes had more trouble taking Penn down.

He improved tremendously since the first Penn fight, but I wonder how good his clinch wrestling is. Veach absolutely launched him a couple times, and I think that's where Frankie's size is most disadvantageous.

I feel you, and yeah Edgar's wrestling was a thing of beauty last night. Hard to believe he did that when even Matt Hughes had more trouble taking Penn down.

He improved tremendously since the first Penn fight, but I wonder how good his clinch wrestling is. Veach absolutely launched him a couple times, and I think that's where Frankie's size is most disadvantageous.

Movement grapplers like Edgar don't want to get tied up in a clinch. They're game is not built around such positions. It neutralizes their quickness and takes away what they're best at - forcing action and changing positions faster than their opponent can react. It's just a matter of styles; you need to put a movement guy like Edgar into quicksand to beat him. Stay square, tie him up, and generally don't let him generate the space and speed he relies on to get angles. Size is a factor for sure, but Edgar wouldn't be a grind-you-out bully wrestler at 145 either because it's just not how he wrestles.

I really like Edgar's relentless pace. It is chain wrestling, but it's also persistence. You combine those things and you have a great wrestler, at least as far as takedowns go.

Back