Edgar's wrestling

frankie also lets his hands fly when the td isn't there, he was tagging penn alot off failed takedowns

thats the mistake guys like diego and florian made they just held onto the takedown for dear life, frankie would bail on it and bomb on bj on the way back up and out

Spot on. Failed takedowns are the biggest tactical mistake in MMA today. Maynard is one of the few who can use a failed takedown to transition into a static position from which he'll eventually get a takedown. Matt Hughes used to be able to do this. For almost everyone else, if the takedown doesn't work, it's a waste of time and energy. Edgar is at the leading edge of using takedowns as setups for strikes, a trend I suspect we'll see others following soon.

I also don't see Frankie having much success taking down Maynard. His takedown defense is ridiculous.

Remember when he fought Jim Miller and Miller had the single leg and couldn't finish even though he had it elevated. Maynard just kept pooping him in the face whil hopping on one leg.

lol, that's no small feat.

haha

Anyways.....Frankie is going to get manhandled again by gray. In wrestling there is always that one guy who every year or more you have to wrestle and each time you are a better wrestler than last time but he is even better. For example my cousin each year would face this kid from our rival school and he would get pwned. The year before high school the kid invited him to train with him. Huge mistake. The next 3 years my cousin has tech falled and pinned him everytime forcing him to change weight classes. What im saying is....unless Frankie gets to train with gray for a good amount of time hes not going to beat him...im just going to guess this paragraph sounded no where as good as i thought it did in my head, been up for a day lol

Frankie should go to Russia and train all wrestling for awhile before he fights maynard. If he can't stop gray's takedowns....he can't win.

Gray maynard should be a welter weight

just sayin lol

Not everyone can wrestler like Edgar, either. Most people lack the body control and quickness to reshoot and change angles while keeping their base underneath them like Edgar does. And of course, not everyone has the strength, power, and forward drive (both mentally and physically) that Maynard possesses, so not everyone can wrestle like him either. Bottom line imo is that every athlete develops a style and a skillset designed to fit their particular abilities and relative strengths. Both Edgar and Maynard use what they've got to put together an effective takedown repertoire. They've been working at it for decades. It's what we all try to do, and while I may model myself after certain approaches more than others, I really don't believe that any one successful approach is intrinsically 'better' or 'more skillful' than any other.

I hear what your saying but I feel a higher percentage of guys can do what Frankie does if they trained for it and drilled properly compared to what Grey does.

Haha, I type to fast and never re-read my shit.

Anyways.....Frankie is going to get manhandled again by gray. In wrestling there is always that one guy who every year or more you have to wrestle and each time you are a better wrestler than last time but he is even better. For example my cousin each year would face this kid from our rival school and he would get pwned. The year before high school the kid invited him to train with him. Huge mistake. The next 3 years my cousin has tech falled and pinned him everytime forcing him to change weight classes. What im saying is....unless Frankie gets to train with gray for a good amount of time hes not going to beat him...im just going to guess this paragraph sounded no where as good as i thought it did in my head, been up for a day lol

Frankie should go to Russia and train all wrestling for awhile before he fights maynard. If he can't stop gray's takedowns....he can't win.

Gray maynard should be a welter weight

just sayin lol

At the end of the day Grey Maynard is a 4 time All American at 157, and when he was AA 157 was one of the deepest weightclasses year in and year out. Never had a repeat champ at that weight during his time even thought there was a returning champ most of those years.

Edgar was a 141lber who came within a match of being an AA. I don't know if Grey can take down Penn but if he can get his hands on Frankie he can get him down.

I hear what your saying but I feel a higher percentage of guys can do what Frankie does if they trained for it and drilled properly compared to what Grey does.

Haha, I type to fast and never re-read my shit.

At the end of the day Grey Maynard is a 4 time All American at 157, and when he was AA 157 was one of the deepest weightclasses year in and year out. Never had a repeat champ at that weight during his time even thought there was a returning champ most of those years.

Edgar was a 141lber who came within a match of being an AA. I don't know if Grey can take down Penn but if he can get his hands on Frankie he can get him down.

good post

Remember when he fought Jim Miller and Miller had the single leg and couldn't finish even though he had it elevated. Maynard just kept pooping him in the face whil hopping on one leg.

surprised.gif

Smaller guys often use more speed/technique and stronger guys incorporate their strength to their game simply because they have it. For example just because Brock has massive power doesn't mean he isn't skilled. Bobbly Lashley is powerful himself, but it's another thing to apply your power.

I see Edgar getting manhandled by Gray as well. Bigger, stronger wrestler.

Smaller guys often use more speed/technique and stronger guys incorporate their strength to their game simply because they have it. For example just because Brock has massive power doesn't mean he isn't skilled. Bobbly Lashley is powerful himself, but it's another thing to apply your power.

Safe bet, seeing as it's already happened.

I hope it didn't come off like I was saying Edgar was amore technical wresler. I feel like technique is playing to your strengths.

I just think more guys would have more success with thier takedowns if they used that finishing approach.

I hope it didn't come off like I was saying Edgar was amore technical wresler. I feel like technique is playing to your strengths.

I just think more guys would have more success with thier takedowns if they used that finishing approach.

More like agreeing with.

Faster/smaller guys usually looked more skilled though. Mostly everyone roots for David not Goliath.

Edgar was amazing and I truly became a believer in him after that fight.

I'm creaming my pants just thinking about Edgar vs. Aldo.

Frankie not only uses his hands to set up his takedowns, he uses his takedowns to setup his hands.

He'll fake a knee pick and hit you with a right hand. You never know what he is going for. If you hear his corner they kept telling him to stay unpredictable.

Frankie told me that the UFC actually overhypes his wrestling credentials - he wasn't a NJ state champ, but a placer.

Frankie not only uses his hands to set up his takedowns, he uses his takedowns to setup his hands.

He'll fake a knee pick and hit you with a right hand. You never know what he is going for. If you hear his corner they kept telling him to stay unpredictable.

Frankie told me that the UFC actually overhypes his wrestling credentials - he wasn't a NJ state champ, but a placer.

Thats true but to be fair NJ is one of the top 3 wrestling states in the US so he was probably better than a lot of other states champs.

Back