Eddie Cummings on how to train leglocks and heel hooks safely...

Stephan Kesting

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Awesome podcast although I wish Kesting would maybe upgrade his system so it doesn't sound like every podcast is just a recorded phone conversation. But all of his podcasts are rich in details. Love his stuff. Very underrated contributor to the community.

Really good podcast. I think my favorite part was Stephan and Eddie talking about "the basics".

Stephan made a good point about the stiff arm/sit up escape, esentially being a basic and effective move even though a lot of people wouldn't call it "the basics".

I don't know if it was just me, but whenever Eddie mentioned "the basics" his tone seemed that he didn't really believe there were a set of basic movements. Maybe i'm reaching lol.

Really good podcast. I think my favorite part was Stephan and Eddie talking about "the basics".

Stephan made a good point about the stiff arm/sit up escape, esentially being a basic and effective move even though a lot of people wouldn't call it "the basics".

I don't know if it was just me, but whenever Eddie mentioned "the basics" his tone seemed that he didn't really believe there were a set of basic movements. Maybe i'm reaching lol.
Also my favorite part. You love the darce and made a lot of posts on it and that's a good analogy also.

Before the mid 00's the way you could play half guard or coming up on a single leg was entirely different. The darce came along and totally changed thing with the half guard. Marcelo changed the way the back was controlled and finished. Certain techniques come around or become in vogue and they change the paradigm of what "basics" are. No one was using seatbelt grips in earnest, let alone considering them a basic technique prior to '03-'05.

Marcelo's side control defense/escape stuff is a great example and I like that they used it

Eddie Cummings? Cool! I heard his leglock and heelhook knowledge is second only to Jordan Tarbor's... :D

No seriously though, great interview thanks for posting it!

This was a great interview. I always enjoy listening to Eddie, he's clearly a smart guy with a good sense of humor. I was surprised by Stephen's slightly acerbic wit... Very Un-Canadian! :)

This was a great interview. I always enjoy listening to Eddie, he's clearly a smart guy with a good sense of humor. I was surprised by Stephen's slightly acerbic wit... Very Un-Canadian! :)

Cummings seems like a good dude to chat to, I left the podcast wondering if he smokes weed due to his fits of laughter lol.

Wait, I thought that any time you put someone in a knee reap their knee will AUTOMATICALLY explode into little bits of bone, flesh and muscle.

The Marcelo elbow push escape is amazing. I use it all the time, and hate hate hate when guys use it on me

Back