eating cheap and healthy in japan!!

Boondocksaint said:
Man, I love all Sushi. I guess my favorite would be the tuna sushi. We had a rotating sushi bar near our dorm, for about 7 bucks you could get a freakin' ton of Sushi.

(sigh) life was good.

I ate the shit of of Sushi while in NYC. I prefer sashimi (just the fish) to rolls- there's so little fish in the rolls. The best is when they lay a sashimi-sized cut over a small square of rice.

I guess Toro (tuna belly) is considered the finest fish meat, and somewhat of a delicacy (many sushi places didn't even carry it), but regular tuna is outstanding...nothing like Chicken of the Sea.

I love Salmon and Whitefish. Whitefish is probably my personal favorite, but I also love Red Snapper and Yellowfish.

Never get Mackerel.

Are you kidding? Saba (aka mackerel) is one of my favorites...it's marinated in vinegar, so it's technically not as "raw" as the tuna, salmon, and other varieties...besides, most sushi joints use cheap tuna (like the crap you'd find at the supermarket) which, once you've eaten sushi enough, really makes a difference...

...mackerel is best with sake and beer-the best tho' is unagi(eel)...its cooked, slathered in unagi(like teriyaki) sauce, and tastes like chicken...

Madmick said:
I ate the shit of of Sushi while in NYC. I prefer sashimi (just the fish) to rolls- there's so little fish in the rolls. The best is when they lay a sashimi-sized cut over a small square of rice.

I guess Toro (tuna belly) is considered the finest fish meat, and somewhat of a delicacy (many sushi places didn't even carry it), but regular tuna is outstanding...nothing like Chicken of the Sea.

I love Salmon and Whitefish. Whitefish is probably my personal favorite, but I also love Red Snapper and Yellowfish.

Never get Mackerel.

Sushi in NYC? How expensive was that?

Boondocksaint said:
Its funny you should say that. I remember I was spending the night at my (Japanese) girlfriend's house. I woke up and she was like "breakfast is ready." I couldn't believe how much food she fixed me. And she was happy to do it. Needless to say, I had never had a girlfriend cook so much food for me before. My ex would cook about once a month, and then act like it was a huge deal, even though I took her out to eat about twice a week. I took a picture.
:icon_cry2 omg omg omg u got urself a japanese girlfriend? i'm so jealous!!!!!!!!! argh! *runs into the corner and cries* what are some good tips for getting a nice japanese girlfriend? (i'm heading there in '08 for a year so this could be very useful*

LOL sorry for going so off-topic. this thread may be of some use to me though.

Oldboy said:
get a rice machine and a big ass sack of rice, it might get boring but it's cheap and filling.

yup and rice is pretty versatile (this coming froma guy with an asian background) you can practically eat it with anything

Boondocksaint said:
Its funny you should say that. I remember I was spending the night at my (Japanese) girlfriend's house. I woke up and she was like "breakfast is ready." I couldn't believe how much food she fixed me. And she was happy to do it. Needless to say, I had never had a girlfriend cook so much food for me before. My ex would cook about once a month, and then act like it was a huge deal, even though I took her out to eat about twice a week. I took a picture.

:( :( :( :(

damn , did she ever cook any other stuff after that ... ?

Wild Dan Hibiki said:
:icon_cry2 omg omg omg u got urself a japanese girlfriend? i'm so jealous!!!!!!!!! argh! *runs into the corner and cries* what are some good tips for getting a nice japanese girlfriend? (i'm heading there in '08 for a year so this could be very useful*

LOL sorry for going so off-topic. this thread may be of some use to me though.

Dude, just be yourself and find a girl that you like. My tip would be to start learning Japanese NOW!!! Don't think that you will get there and pick it up in a week. Studying before you go makes all the difference in the world. You can get pretty fluent with the time you have. 3 hard years of study will have you speaking Japanese like a madman.

You will meet and sleep with lots of girls in bars, but like here don't date any of them. Try to find a good girl from a good family without emotional problems and stuff. Since you hang out in Sherdog training forums, I'm sure you are a stud! So go get 'em.

Back