Eat or not to eat before night training?

Darksky

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Saw a show on fit.tv where this surfer (married to that tall volleyball chick i think Gabby something) said he never eats anything before he trains and he goes out in the morning and doesnt stop for 4-8 hours. Seemed absurd but the guy was totally ripped up and said food slows him down on long training sessions. Over the years I generally eat like a light meal, maybe a banana and a PJ about 1-2 hours before I train, but seemed pretty toasted at the end of class.

What schedule has given you the most energy when you grapple at an evening class?

I think it's a personal thing. I perform best when I eat something 30-45 mins before (some good complex carbs).

Agreed that it's a personal preference. I like to cook, so I get pleasure out of cooking myself a nice large meal, but I wouldn't enjoy it so much knowing I have to rush to eat because I'm going to go train in a little while. So I just eat late on nights that I train.

Saw a show on fit.tv where this surfer (married to that tall volleyball chick i think Gabby something) said he never eats anything before he trains and he goes out in the morning and doesnt stop for 4-8 hours. Seemed absurd but the guy was totally ripped up and said food slows him down on long training sessions. Over the years I generally eat like a light meal, maybe a banana and a PJ about 1-2 hours before I train, but seemed pretty toasted at the end of class.

What schedule has given you the most energy when you grapple at an evening class?

laird hamilton. gabrielle reese.
An hour or so before is good. I dont like to eat when its close to go time. in competition, i wont eat at all until after my first match.

I generally eat a bannana and half a sandwich seems to be just enough for me. Although I eat about 4-6 small meals throughout the day. As already stated though I beleive it is all personal preference.

Thanks Arm that was them, I was like dam this chick is all over this guy, took me awhile to figure out they were married lol

I eat before i train maybe an hour before. Ive heard people say both to eat and not so its a personal preference. I do better when my body has something to use for fuel.

eat light before training, mostly carbs, dont go eating greasy cheeseburgers or anything that will sit heavy, it will make you want to puke or your burps will make your training partner want to puke

eat light before training, mostly carbs, dont go eating greasy cheeseburgers or anything that will sit heavy, it will make you want to puke or your burps will make your training partner want to puke

I ate Burger King today...I never eat fast food...but today it called me..and I ate it..and I go to train in about 45 mins. :) I will probably shit myself.

after you eat, your body starts digesting until it's done digesting whatever you just ate. if you're digesting, your body is spending more energy, period. that means less energy for jiujitsu.

many people can't train on an empty stomach because they get low blood sugar if they don't eat fairly often. that's a whole different bag of marbles, but if that's you you'll know its you by the pounding headache you get and dragging ass in class.

if you want the benefits of #1 but fall into the category of #2, compromise between easily digestible food (you can also add a digestive enzyme to this meal) and duration before training. you can also just try juice (real juice) before training and see if that quiets the pangs.

I have very fast ****bolism and if I not eat atleast 45 min before training I go hungry as hell and cant train at all.

i eat cliff bars before I go, and eat dinner afterwards

eat light carbs, 1-2 hours before training. Protein and veggies, good fats like milk afterwards.

The only thing that really makes me nauseated is lots of ukemi. Otherwise I can eat a steak dinner and then go run 5 miles, no problem.

I always eat before training otherwise I crash. I usually go for a nutrition bar of some kind but low protein/high carb. Right now I am using Lara bars.

I don't have too much trouble with energy, but I *must* eat some kind of carb snack in the afternoon before training. If I don't, my energy level doesn't go down, but I do get this really odd ammonia smell to my sweat after a long workout.

I don't have too much trouble with energy, but I *must* eat some kind of carb snack in the afternoon before training. If I don't, my energy level doesn't go down, but I do get this really odd ammonia smell to my sweat after a long workout.

might wanna get that checked out dude

I like training on a fairly empty stomach. If I'm training at night (6 pm), then I'll eat at 2. If I'm training during the day (12 noon), then I'll eat at about 8 or 9.

I also drink about 16 ounces of Gatorade about an hour before I train. Two hours before when training at night.

Back