Easier skill to become elite at?

MacDaddyWraslin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I mean would a wrestler become elite at striking faster than a kickboxer becoming elite at wrestling or BJJ?

If I had to say I would say its easier to become a better wrestler than to become a better striker. There are just too many "natural" talents you have to have to become a great striker. There are a lot of natural talents to be a good grappler, but I feel you can learn to develop elite grappling technique a little easier than elite striking.

I'd say wrestling.

We've seen many guys go from wrestler to other things but not BJJ guy to wrestler or Striker into Wrestler.

I mean, who is there who's gone from elite striker to elite striker with elite lvl wrestling?

CC
AA
GSP

who else?

It's easier to become a wrestler in my opinion. Because for striking, you need a lot more experience.

i would say body type plays the biggest factor.

Examples:

GSP: started out as a striker now is thought to be the best wrestler in MMA

Jon Jones: started out only knowing wrestling and submissions he learned on youtube, now his striking is at the top of the division.

GSP= stocky, strong, and explosive build.

JJ= long, tall,and fast with good reflexes.

Becoming elite at anything is equally difficult. That's how it is. To gain the world-class striking or BJJ that you'd find at Abu Dhabi or in K-1 (and now Glory), or wrestling that you'd see in the Olympics, it requires an insane amount of dedication and focus, along with a high tolerance for the physical pain that's required to train your body to get to that level, and you can't really non-partially say that gaining one of those is more difficult than the other.

Getting proficient at something is one thing, then it's striking all the way, but becoming elite at it is different.

For your question, though, it depends entirely on the individual. If you're looking for a straight-forward "A", "B" or "C" answer, there isn't one. Some guys are able to overcome that gap between striking and grappling and make the transition very well because they just were coached properly or because they figured out the right way to assess it, or just cuz' they fell in love with punching people and wanted to excel at it (enough to the point where they went to Thailand or hung out with Tyrone Spong a lot) or fell in love with Jiu-Jitsu and started doing it 6 times a week, only not doing it more cuz' they didn't wanna damage their body by overtraining it. It's about the individual, not the study, if that makes sense.

It depends on your build and physical talents.

I agree that wrestling is the easiest skill to pick up on, followed by bjj then finally striking being the hardest skill to learn.

I think its easier to become a PROFICIENT striker, but harder to become an ELITE striker

okay i will try my best at this striking and wrestling are the easiest I'm talking fairly good there no point of talking elite because all those could take a lifetime depending on elite your talking for example floyd wouldnt think nick had elite boxing. Striking is my a narrow margin easier to pick then wrestling and bjj is the hardest to pick up

i would say body type plays the biggest factor.

Examples:

GSP: started out as a striker now is thought to be the best wrestler in MMA

Jon Jones: started out only knowing wrestling and submissions he learned on youtube, now his striking is at the top of the division.

GSP= stocky, strong, and explosive build.

JJ= long, tall,and fast with good reflexes.

10/10 this is what i came here to post. exactly this

stocky, more built guys have an easier time picking up wrestling

lanky dudes have an easier time picking up striking

usually

Depends on your body type and athletic gifts. I'd say it is possibly easiest to get your BJJ to a respectable level but this hardly holds for everyone.

So many wrong answers. Wrestling is harder to learn. I learned in this order boxing/kickboxing, bjj, really bad wrestling. Wrestling takes years and years and years to get little muscle memory reactions to fire the way you need them to.
Most highly successful wrestlers have been wrestling since they were little kids. It looks easier than it is. Wrestling is by far the hardest to learn, IMHO

okay i will try my best at this striking and wrestling are the easiest I'm talking fairly good there no point of talking elite because all those could take a lifetime depending on elite your talking for example floyd wouldnt think nick had elite boxing. Striking is my a narrow margin easier to pick then wrestling and bjj is the hardest to pick up

bjj is NOT the hardest to pick up, at all.

Jon jones is a perfect example of my point striking comes the quickest wrestling a bit slower and bjj the longest of all jbj is far from an elite bjj artist at this point

Obviously striking is the hardest to learn.. The level of striking in MMA proves this.

I never found wrestling hard at all. You don't get punched in the face when wrestling either. So many more variables to striking. Seems like a few people on here think they are good strikers because they can throw a 1-2 and maybe a hook here and there

Well you have to think that most strikers aren't going to become offensive wrestlers cause the fight starts where they want it to stay so all they really need is TDD with minimal offensive wrestling skills, which a lot of strikers have. It works the same with wrestlers and subs when they don't need to submit everyone but train more sub defense. Most wrestlers who become strikers, on the other hand, learn offensive skills much faster than defensive.

So many wrong answers. Wrestling is harder to learn. I learned in this order boxing/kickboxing, bjj, really bad wrestling. Wrestling takes years and years and years to get little muscle memory reactions to fire the way you need them to.
Most highly successful wrestlers have been wrestling since they were little kids. It looks easier than it is. Wrestling is by far the hardest to learn, IMHO

Where do you train your wrestling? people that wrestle in high school get to high levels sometimes in just a year the thing is most people in mma dont really train wrestling the same way as its done in a good high school wrestling program thats why people that wrestled in high school normally remain better wrestlers.than people learning outta mma gym's no matter the experience

Back