Easier skill to become elite at?

The level of striking in MMA doesn't show what is the hardest to learn. It shows how much more important wrestling and bjj are than striking.

Yeah the level of striking in MMA is actually pretty straightforward. It is probably not even 1/10 of the entire body of knowledge of striking (if such entire body of knowledge exists).

Just look at Muay Thai, Boxing and sanda (sanshou) - how many of those techniques and tricks were not utilized by MMA fighters (not to mention that in some cases those MMA fighter's striking techniques are not even very good if you are to look at it from a striking only standpoint).

Chuck, Jones, Benson, Edgar, Cain, Hendricks, Dan Henderson, Rashad, Carwin, Rampage, and Cruz were all wrestlers long before training to strike, and they're all some of the best strikers in MMA or MMA history in Chuck's case.

How many strikers become great wrestlers? St-Pierre?

Yeah the level of striking in MMA is actually pretty straightforward. It is probably not even 1/10 of the entire body of knowledge of striking (if such entire body of knowledge exists).

Just look at Muay Thai, Boxing and sanda (sanshou) - how many of those techniques and tricks were not utilized by MMA fighters (not to mention that in some cases those MMA fighter's striking techniques are not even very good if you are to look at it from a striking only standpoint).

Good points made. Boxing especially is the discipline that is at the lowest level in MMA. There are no elite Boxers in MMA yet.

Chuck, Jones, Benson, Edgar, Cain, Hendricks, Dan Henderson, Rashad, Carwin, Rampage, and Cruz were all wrestlers long before training to strike, and they're all some of the best strikers in MMA or MMA history in Chuck's case.

That shows how weak the striking in MMA is for wrestlers to become the better strikers in MMA. Also the threat of the takedown has an affect as well.

I don't know about the easiest. But the hardest skill to become elite at is Boxing.

Yeah hand skill is always hardest because there are many ways to generate power properly but even more ways to not do it properly, wasting power in addition to injuring yourself.

Also to be able to deliver a technique unpredictably or setup a scenario where you can while avoid getting read and countered by your opponent is very hard.

Striking is easier to become "elite" at. Elite wrestlers have been doing it since they were children, and it;s a very dedicated sport (not saying striking isn't dedicated).

Wrestling is by FAAAAR the hardest one to learn. There is so much ignorance in this thread it isnt even funny.

Every pro fighter I have talked to has said wrestling is the hardest to learn and on top of that I have seen countless interviews where fighters say it also.

Good points made. Boxing especially is the discipline that is at the lowest level in MMA. There are no elite Boxers in MMA yet.

I don't think it'll ever be seen necessarily because of the hybrid style of boxing required to not be totally vulnerable to kicks and takedowns.

This.

Cormier has been striking for like 4 years total and is #4 HW right now possibly #1.

That shows how weak the striking in MMA is for wrestlers to become the better strikers in MMA. Also the threat of the takedown has an affect as well.

That, and it also shows that far, far more wrestlers become top strikers than the other way around.

Yeah hand skill is always hardest because there are many ways to generate power properly but even more ways to not do it properly, wasting power in addition to injuring yourself.

Also to be able to deliver a technique unpredictably or setup a scenario where you can while avoid getting read and countered by your opponent is very hard.

Good points made.

I don't think it'll ever be seen necessarily because of the hybrid style of boxing required to not be totally vulnerable to kicks and takedowns.

An elite Boxer with cross-training could adapt their style though. It depends on the the fighter offcourse not the style.

That, and it also shows that far, far more wrestlers become top strikers than the other way around.

Yep because more elite Wrestlers come to MMA, also they are generally better athletes than the fighters from other disciplines.

The level of striking in MMA doesn't show what is the hardest to learn. It shows how much more important wrestling and bjj are than striking.

No you're wrong. That's why all the kings of the UFC have good/great striking.
Silva, Aldo, JDS before, Jones and Ben. The great strikers with good defense wrestling or good BJJ off their back are usually the most dominant.

Well in mma you see strikers that are proficient enough to stay alive on the ground.You never see wrestlers stay alive standing against a striker.

I think an elite Boxer with a few years of cross-training could be among the top fighters or a champion in MMA.

No you're wrong. That's why all the kings of the UFC have good/great striking.
Silva, Aldo, JDS before, Jones and Ben. The great strikers with good defense wrestling or good BJJ off their back are usually the most dominant.

Totally agree

I'd say wrestling.

We've seen many guys go from wrestler to other things but not BJJ guy to wrestler or Striker into Wrestler.

I mean, who is there who's gone from elite striker to elite striker with elite lvl wrestling?

CC
AA
GSP

who else?

AA was a Sambo practioner so technically is just as much a grappler/wrestler than striker.

English may not be my strongest language, but I've been speaking it long enough to know that the word "elite" means it is likely not easy by its very nature.

Darts are "easy" to become elite at..... good luck, lol.

I agree that wrestling is the easiest skill to pick up on, followed by bjj then finally striking being the hardest skill to learn.

I find the opposite to be true. Depends on the person./thread

Is there anyone who's become an Olympic medalist level wrestler or boxer in less than eight years, or a mundials black belt champ faster than that? I don't think its easy to become elite in any of them - it'll take most of a decade no matter which one you try.

Back