Earning Rank in BJJ

I'm only a white belt so I don't have too much knowledge on the subject, but I think that belt promotions are at the discretion of your instructor. In other words, outside of training, it's out of your control.

So do what I've been doing: train as hard as you can and enjoy the ride. Think about how much better you're getting instead of new stripes and belts. And as long as you're instructor is aware of your progress, the ranks will come.

This is a discussion we were having in my gym tonight. Myself and a few of my training partners are prepping ourselves for our blue belt exam. The three of us have all been training right around 18 months and train at least 3 times a week. My instructor is a Purple Belt under Kyle Saunders, who is a Black Belt under Roy Harris. Anyone who knows the Roy Harris ranking system knows how difficult their belts are.

Generally, our test is knowing how to correctly perform around 80 techniques (our list is 5 pages, single spaced) against minimal resistance and then perform about 20-25, all escapes or passes, against a resisting black or brown belt. My instructor basically told me that I'm not ready because while I know and can explain every technique inside and out, I'm not on par performing them against significant resistance. And he's right.

So after that rant I can say under our black belt affiliate it takes roughly 2 years to blue and then another 3-4 for purple. Beyond that, I'm unaware, but I do remember being told it took our black belt about 13 years to get his from Roy Harris.

when i first started my heart sank when i found out it would probably take me six to eight years to get one of those cool looking brown ones..

later i found out it doesn't make a difference really. just keep an open mind.. roll... and have fun... belts to me now don't mark how good a person is just how much time they have put into the sport.

I know a state champ wrestler that got a well deserved purple in under a year.

Back