1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Earning Rank in BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by snowolf17, Jul 14, 2010.

1. snowolf17

snowolf17 Yellow Belt

Hey i just recently started taking BJJ classes and was just curious as to what one has to do in order to move up in belt rank. I know it takes a long time in BJJ to earn rank and i'm really not worried or even thinking about moving up in rank anytime soon but i was just curious about what the specific requirements are to move up in rank. thanks

2. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

It really varies. In my school, the blue belt is for attendance, competition, and of course, development. It's the one you get if you put the time into it. The purple belt, on the other hand, has to be earned by time and showing skill. Most people take around 3 years to get it, I think, and competing helps, although most of the purples in my school don't, due to work reasons, age, and so on.

3. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

There isn't a set "list" of things. It varies as stated above.

4. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

Go to class regularly and put effort in what you are doing. All the rest will eventually come with it.

5. Edmundus

Edmundus White Belt

Requirements vary from school to school. It's hard to be more specific than 'when your instructor thinks you're ready', but generally speaking to get to blue takes from 6 months to 2 years.

6. esum80

esum80 แทงเข่าขวา

file under instructor's discretion.

he'll promote you when he feels you are ready and has seen progress.

7. GetBeasty

GetBeasty Orange Belt

How long does it take a 4 stripe white belt to reach probationary blue belt status?

8. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

Belt promotions are at the sole discretion of the head instructor.

There should be several components to belt promotions:

* Skill
    * Progress
    * Dedication
    * Attitude
    * Knowledge

Skill is obviously a requirement and is a measure of your ability to apply techniques property commensurate to your belt level. There is a degree of latitude and variance within each belt level as far as skill is concerned and there is often overlap in skills between belts especially at the higher levels of one belt and the lower levels of the next higher belt.

Progress is subjective but I think it can best be described by example. If for instance you come on your first day of BJJ instruction with a strong Wrestling or Judo background you will have more skills related to BJJ than a brand new beginner. So while you might be more naturally skilled as a person with a Wrestling/Judo background you will still be expected to make progress in adding BJJ to your current skill set. So let's say that your skill level is at a numerical value of 5 on day 1 of training and mine is 0 you might well be expected to get to a 15 to get get a blue belt and I might well be expected to only be at a 10 to get mine. Progress is relative to your skill and athletic ability especially with lower belts. Eventually at the higher belts you should be expected to be able to perform irrespective of your athletic prowess to a large extent with few exceptions.

Dedication can be summed up as attendance and spending time on your craft. There are naturally gifted people that might on day 1 be able to do very well against a blue belt. Should that person be a blue belt? No. There needs to be a level of dedication and time spent devoted to BJJ for belt rank to be achieved. It's not solely a talent based decision.

Attitude denotes your attitude towards learning as well as your demeanor. Are you a troublemaker that would cause shame to your school by picking fights outside of the academy or a person that shows a low level of maturity? Do you place either too much or too little importance on your belt rank? Are you genuinely interested not in 'winning' when training but getting better? All these are questions of attitude.

Knowledge especially after blue belt is a requirement. You should be able to explain techniques and know why they work even if they aren't necessarily a part of your 'go to' game. This requirement becomes more and more important as you achieve higher belt rank.

I hope that helps.

9. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

the specific requirement is a lot of patience.

10. Doh!

Doh! Orange Belt

"Most people" getting a purple belt in BJJ after 3 years is sad state of affairs and clearly demonstrates that the Mcdojification of BJJ in the US has officially begun.

Whatever happened to earning your rank?? The only way it should be possible to earn rank that fast is if you train a minimum of 5-7 times a week and compete all the time and win...at real tournaments (NAGA doesn't count). "Most people" who train BJJ don't come close to doing either of those.

11. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Maybe he means three years from the time you get your blue to the time you get your purple?

I figure that most people have their blue for about three years.

12. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

I meant from getting the blue belt. But that's from what I have seen. I'm not from the US, so I don't know how's it done there. I think the minimum time rule is 2 years from the blue to the purple.

13. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah I think it's typical to get your:
    Blue at 2 years
    Purple at 5 years
    Brown at 8 years
    Black at 10 years

That's if you train consistently at least three days a week the whole time and don't have any long layoffs for injury or whatever.

Sometimes the higher belts take longer than that if you don't train under someone sufficiently high-ranked to promote you himself. My last instructor in Korea was a brown belt for like five years because no one in the country was qualified to give him his black.

14. wiseguy$$

wiseguy$$ Blue Belt

White for me was 2 1/2 years so far blue it's been 3 years . And I'm probaly not close!

15. MasonTJJ

MasonTJJ Yellow Belt

Shame Constantin Film had the video blocked. This post is perfect for the "Furher's Old School BJJ" video. Anyone save that video before it got removed from YT?

Knuckles hit the nail on the head with his post.

16. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

TS, will not last.

17. VentiNog

VentiNog Blue Belt

I got my blue from my first school after 6 months. I politely refused it since I did not feel I was ready and have since changed schools. I have now been training for about 2 years and feel I will be rightfully getting my Blue belt soon.

18. war path

war path White Belt

the worst way to earn rank in bjj is out of pity

19. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Good question. don't know why you guys getting all upset (must be time of the month).

It is about 2.5 years per belt if you are good.

20. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Maybe he meant 3 years at blue?

I got my purple belt pretty recently after about 4.5 years of training. I was at blue for 3, training consistently, 5-6 days a week at my height. If he meant 3 years at blue, that's more than reasonable if someone is training consistently.