Early 2000s Mike Tyson vs Prime Roy Jones Jr

Old Tyson has nothing for Prime Roy.

Roy is taller and has a 3 inch reach advantage.

Young Tyson's speed at HW would be no match up for lightning fast prime Roy, let alone old Tyson.

Roy pot shots his way to a decision.

Roy is NOT taller than Tyson.

That is a fact, not speculation.

Boxrec and wikipedia have Tyson at 5'10" and Roy at 5'11". <{hughesimpress}>

I know they do but shock horror they like almost all fighters heights aren't accurate.

Tyson for e.g for years was billed at 6ft and 5'11 until he set everyone straight and said "Look I'm 5'10" which he is and that's confirmed (check out "Celebrity heights" - Mike Tyson)

Now ....... type in "Roy Jones Jr Mike Tyson" into google and see how tall Roy is standing next to Tyson.

Apart from any difference in footwear I've yet to find a pic of Roy being as tall as Tyson let alone taller.

Roy only edges James Toney who is 5'9 and a bit.

Not trying to sound like a know it all its just that I have seen extensive pics of fighters standing next to each other so I'm pretty much in the loop with how tall fighters really are.

LOL @ Roy beating prime Tyson. Roy may be taller, but Tyson is naturally much bigger and stronger.

Roy could outbox Tyson, but eventually, he's gonna get hit, and when he does, it's lights out.

LOL @ Roy beating prime Tyson. Roy may be taller, but Tyson is naturally much bigger and stronger.

Roy could outbox Tyson, but eventually, he's gonna get hit, and when he does, it's lights out.
Yeah. Eventually. As in probably the first round vs a Prime Tyson, who actually was a technical and GOOD boxer (unlike Roy who actually was pretty much winging it technically) with insane natural gifts, and all the size and strength advantages on top of that, it's a fucking murder. Old Tyson gets him out of there too. People are showing crazy bias in this thread for RJJ.

Yeah. Eventually. As in probably the first round vs a Prime Tyson, who actually was a technical and GOOD boxer (unlike Roy who actually was pretty much winging it technically) with insane natural gifts, and all the size and strength advantages on top of that, it's a fucking murder. Old Tyson gets him out of there too. People are showing crazy bias in this thread for RJJ.

An uppercut from a prime Tyson would put Roy in a coma.

Don't get me wrong, Roy was incredible, but without his physical gifts he got destroyed by old ass BHops, Glen Johnsons, and Tarvers...

Look at the uppercut a prime Tyson landed on Jose Ribalta:
E6Eap0.gif

Ribalta weighed 211 1/2 pounds for the fight, and that uppercut nearly lifted his feet off the canvas. Roy weighed a whopping 193 pounds for the Ruiz fight.

I'm a huge Tyson fan but he was absolutely totally removed from being the fighter he was 15 years earlier. Come on.

Tyson that fought McNeely would be a better fight. I'd have to favor MT but Prime Roy beats flat footed millennial Tyson maybe a late k.o but I'd go with Decision or Tyson quiting.

Prime Roy with a year to put on some weight beats even the best version of Tyson.

Roy's chin is crap, most the guys he fought had a punchers chance... didn't do them a lick of good until he slowed down a bit.
This would be like one of those old time fights where you had a British or Irish champ and an American champ where one guy was bigger. That's why we have the adage that a great big man beats a great little man. Also, historically, speedy lighter weight fighters have been able to do well against slow HWs but Tyson's forte was his speed. I just don't see how Roy would survive 12 rounds against a prime Tyson unless he fought without trying to win.

PRIME ROY?! 2000's Mike would be hitting air all day. And for the sake of you know what. Prime Tyson would send Roy's hairline to the back of his head.

Did somebody actually say prime Roy was too much for young Tyson? Old Tyson is even debatable, but Prime Mike would have ended Prime Jones.
Yeah people need to factor in the fear he put in fighters. No one was scared to fight Roy (I'm talking worried of getting hit during the fight)

Yeah people need to factor in the fear he put in fighters. No one was scared to fight Roy (I'm talking worried of getting hit during the fight)
Roy inspired fear too. Thomas Tate comes to.mind immediately but I'm sure there were others.

I repeat, Tyson was a freak of nature, more impressive considering his division and how he made every fight look during his prime, and he was without a doubt a better technician than Roy as well who couldn't make it without his freak of nature physical gifts.

Even plodding, headhunting Tyson was capable of taking scalps worth mentioning, young Tyson was Roy's daddy all day, every day.

And I'm a huge advocate of who Roy was, and how special he was. Tyson was more special, and that's why he's in every boxing conversation forever.

I don't think Roy has anything to really hurt a HW and people can say what they want about Tyson, but he had a better chin than people gave him credit for. Jones, while a phenom, was also a bit chinny, and Tyson, especially in the first couple rounds, could really surprise his foe with his twitchy speed. Tyson could clip Roy.

Anything could happen in this fight, really.

That's a ppv I'd happily pay $100 for.

Tyson brutalizes him but fuck it would be glorious for however long it lasted

Back