International E.U. Flag Raised over London for NYE

No, it's got absolutely nothing to do with the EU. Not historically. Not legislatively.
If people voted for the Brexit out of anti-Muslim sentiment, they were stupid. The only association being knee-jerk nationalism.
I know you're not stupid enough to be that ignorant, so chances are your speculative rant is just pushing those "Muslim immigration" buttons because they are there and play well with this forum's (mostly American) audience.
It was neoliberalism that pushed for economic growth through population growth, not "PCness".
Khan is definitely aware that the Brexit has no impact on Pakistani immigration, and is also no doubt just as aware of the much discussed threat to London's financial industry. Those million EU residents living in London are more likely to be investment bankers/mergers and acquisitions than Muslims (not that they are mutually exclusive of course, but the majority of them are French, Italian, Spanish and German).

It was more what I said than you think lol. The English don't have the power to stop the (perceived or real) loss of their homeland right now, and this was a weak first shot in the attempt of reclamation for many. To be fair, I think many were about as mad about unchecked non-muslim polish immigration, as any other.

Of course it goes deeper into economics, and not wanting such strong German financial influence etc... As well as other issues I'm not informed enough to speak on; But a major part of why Brits voted for brexit was the mass migration into, and perceived loss of major cities in their own country to middle eastern and other Muslims.

Right or wrong, many thought the marching orders for the phenomenon were coming from Brussels. Things will not change the way they expect.. But Khan and his extended family are aware of the tide that pushed brexit over the top, and for his own interests he doesn't like it.

Below is London last night. It is an absolute disgrace that the Mayor sanctioned this. More people voted for Brexit in London than voted for Sadiq Khan. Does anyone else feel like the people in power are trying influence people to undermine the Brexit vote with publicity stunts like this? I got this image from Nigel Farage's facebook page.

edit found an article

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8094720/mayor-sadiq-khan-slammed-londons-fireworks-eu-tribute/

49658136_2000524236661836_2923336264155398144_n.jpg
thats not a flag

I'd add Alan Turing in there as well. Solving the problem of problem solving is massive.

Talking about him just makes me angry. In addition to being one of the principal founders of computer science, his code breaking work during World War II saved over 14 million lives. Did you know Isaac Newton was 17th Century London's Dirty Harry?

The fucking Master of the Mint.

newton.jpg

Yeah those bugs got on a boat and sailed here all by themselves.

And somehow those bugs forced the Spanish and Portuguese to rape, slaughter , enslave and work to death masses of natives .

London voted remain so their display reflected that fact , if it's any consolation my new years celebration consisted of burning effigies of ghastly foreign types while singing rule Britannia .

I thought you Brits only did that on 11th Night ? ;)

5955817900_74abf57302_b.jpg

Interesting map. Norway/Switzerland have a solid case. LOL at the Balkan countries. Double LOL at ... Georgia?

I'd say Das Land der Dichter und Denker thinks a little too low of itself. It's the land of Goethe and Gauss, of Bach and Beethoven. The birthplace of differential geometry, quantum mechanics, nuclear chemistry and the age of spaceflight. It's responsible for the advent of modern music festivals (Bayreuther Festspiele) and lgbt rights (first public discourse and defense, first organization, first publication, first institute).

Annalen der Physik published the papers on the discoveries and proof of electromagnetic waves, detection of x-rays, explanation of the photoelectric effect, brownian motion to prove the existence of atoms, theory of special relativity...as well as the launching of Quantum Theory and General Relativity, the two pillars which encompass all of modern physics. The MPG, Fraunhofer Society and Helmholtz Association are among the most venerable and innovative scientific institutions on the planet.

DACH region music comprises and stands as a pinnacle of human artistic achievement. It's essentially the equivalent of Renaissance drawing, painting and sculpture. This is Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael - it's Vitruvian Man, Mona Lisa, Pietà, David and the Sistine Chapel ceiling. It's majestic, jaw dropping and soul crushingly beautiful. What fucking "culture" does anyone have that can possibly stand next to that? There's god damn few.

Holy Fuck.

It's actually Alessandro Marcello though.

So because I object to turning New Years firework celebrations into petty, divisive political comments I must be a racist Nazi.

This would've better a lot better. Don't ever forget what your country has given this world, there are entire continents that can't compete. I'd be more than happy to smack down spastics with great, satisfying fury if anyone needs a reminder.

EU summed up

lead by a man who cant even put on a matching pair of shoes in public

<36>

Tell us more about the no go areas and sharia law.....

The American-British internet banter can be kind of humourous, but it's mostly dog shit stupid to me considering the US/UK are still joined at the hip in more ways than you can shake a stick at - culturally, historically, politically, economically, militarily, scientifically, technologically. The POTUS and PM's come and go, it's an extraordinarily potent alliance that the US isn't just going to dump on a whim and if Brexit happens it'll probably have to lean more heavily than you've needed to for a long time.

The United Kingdom accounts for nearly 20% of all (organic) foreign direct investment in the United States, and nearly twice that of the next largest investor (Japan) in FDI. UK companies are responsible for the creation of over one million jobs stateside, the UK is the USA's second largest market for services exports behind only Canada and the US imports more services from the UK than any other country in the world.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindu...ade/articles/whodoestheuktradewith/2017-02-21

Special Relationship with the US

The US is the country from which the UK earns the most through trade. Exports to the US in 2016 were worth £100 billion, more than twice as much as exports to any other country. With imports from the US totalling £66 billion, the UK ran a trade surplus with the US of £34 billion in 2016 (by far its highest globally). While the value of UK exports to the EU has fallen between 2011 and 2016 (from £243 billion to £236 billion), the UK is increasingly exporting to the US. Exports to the US rose by more than 26% over the same period.

The bilateral US-UK Mutual Defence Agreement for direct collaboration on the design, development, maintenance and exchange of materials for thermonuclear weapons is among the most significant and exclusive treaties in existence and firmly underscores the political and economic ties between the two. It's actually written into US law and decennial renewal (due next in 2024) is not debated nor voted on in UK parliament; likely in contravention to the international Non-Proliferation Treaty.

These are also very recent items (post-Trump election).

US-UK Science and Technology Agreement Paves Way For Closer Research Collaborations

US-UK Defence Teams Exchange Military Innovation Insights and Priorities

I thought you Brits only did that on 11th Night ? ;)

5955817900_74abf57302_b.jpg

Give it a couple of years and all that nonsense probably won't be our problem anymore..... something for you chaps to look forward to eh .

You're wrong and both are subservient, but there's clearly nothing I can do to convince you otherwise. I'll stoop to your level and enjoy how much you hate these fireworks.
With any luck you'll get cast in a This Is England remake.

How often have you argued in favour of imperialism/colonialism?

Back