Opinion E Pluribus Unum, or: How I Learned To Reject Partisanship and Love The USA

That song always makes me think of this tim dillon rant. Was wondering if it also made you think of it. I agree our rights are God given .

Loved this rant. He had another one about America and what it means to us all. So dumb and yet, so America.

God bless Tim, it’s a knife fight out here, and I wish him well.

Its hard to encapsulate what makes America great in one post but Deorum did about as good a job as can be done here.

I'll say one thing I find fascinating about the USA is how deliberately it was created. As Ernest Gellner, a scholar of nationalism, once said: "America was born modern; it did not have to achieve modernity, nor did it have modernity thrust upon it."

That's not the case with most societies which had to enter modernity with lots of premodern baggage or had it thrust upon them via colonialism. Look at the English constitutional system, its current form was hammered out by many generations, sometimes via gradual reforms and sometimes via more revolutionary moments. But there was always a connection to the past. Or look at India which had modernity thrust upon it by the British and had to adapt to that reality.

With the USA we had a bunch of elites get together and basically from scratch they devised our system and the fact that its the oldest extant constitution to this day, despite how young the US is compared to other nations, is a testament to how durable and adaptable the American system is. Very unique in world history.

E Pluribus Unum…. From Many One

What a beautiful unifying message and motto for the country. Our original motto!

Perfect motto until the crazy Christians had to come in a fuck it up what the stupidest motto you could think of. In god we trust…. Shit motto what divides people and is unconstitutional.

- No mention of Pro-wrestling, Superman, Spiderman, Batman or Kevin Costner? No Woody-Woodpecker?

6a10087d4108acdbf3e7d6a9ae07dbda2a8f7bda.gif

Its hard to encapsulate what makes America great in one post but Deorum did about as good a job as can be done here.
I thought it had some weird stuff: space, the Old West, parks--but it's subjective and that's cool.

I like yours. It's the most legitimately and completely modern (i.e., liberal) nation in the world. In terms of character, the defining feature is that we have always optimistically looked forward rather than to some imagined, glorious past.

I thought it had some weird stuff: space, the Old West, parks--but it's subjective and that's cool.

I like yours. It's the most legitimately and completely modern (i.e., liberal) nation in the world. In terms of character, the defining feature is that we have always optimistically looked forward rather than to some imagined, glorious past.
Our best days are always going to be ahead of us if we hold true to he spirit of America.

The accidental superpower. Truly unique in the history of mankind.

Our best days are always going to be ahead of us if we hold true to he spirit of America.

For people who think we're in a multi-decade decline, it's hard to see how they believe our best days are ahead of us. But America's essential optimism has generally been self-fulfilling and correct. Never been a better time to be an American than now, and it's only getting better from here.

And here's something that shows that our current threats, while serious, are not new (time-stamped):

And yet we still burnt your White House to the ground :)

Good times.

For people who think we're in a multi-decade decline, it's hard to see how they believe our best days are ahead of us. But America's essential optimism has generally been self-fulfilling and correct. Never been a better time to be an American than now, and it's only getting better from here.

And here's something that shows that our current threats, while serious, are not new (time-stamped):

I generally agree but it is concerning how much of the younger generations have no knowledge or respect of the history of America or what it means to be American.

Pride in America is going down

It’s safe. Stuff like this:

Here’s my “to do” list if you want to be part of the solution instead of the problem.

1. Choose someone you disagree with and start a dialogue. Make friends, even if neither of you changes your mind.
2. Find common ground, avoid epithets, and presume goodwill on the part of others unless and until their actions suggest otherwise.

It’s safe. Stuff like this:

Here’s my “to do” list if you want to be part of the solution instead of the problem.
I don't give clicks to Twitter randos if I can help it. That's just me.

Have a good day my American allies, hope you all get drunk, get a root (that means have sex) and get in a fight, that's the way to celebrate I reckon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kffkhddjhgv
Back